National Gun Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, we didn’t get the target thrower out but we did get the shotguns out. They did really well. Ran 50 rounds each through all 4 guns, 30 yards, hitting 8” plates. I don’t think either of them missed a target, which isn’t huge considering it was #8 shot but they were hitting hard enough to swing the 1/2” plates so I’d say aim was good. I expect after the first box they’d want to stop but they kept going. Wind was wicked, hands were still burning 20 minutes after we came inside.

After about 40 rounds, Nic was groaning his arm hurt but he wouldn’t give it up. Excitement had him. Told him tomorrow he’ll really feel it, haha. Then of course we shoveled about 50-60 cubic ft of horse bedding and laid down new so they aren’t going to want to move tomorrow. Glad I went with the youth model for Nic. It was still a handful for him but he impressed me for his first time out with a shotgun. They both did. This weekend, I’ll have more time to mess with the target thrower. They’ll enjoy it more in 50 degrees and sunny.

·
Premium Member
6,659 Posts
If they keep at it the shoulders will toughen up and the recoil will be almost unnoticeable. Watch for a flinch. Do a drill where you stand behind them and you do the loading. Every few shots give them an empty gun and watch for he flinch. Once their aware of it they can work on not flinching. I works for rifles too.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I think most of the issue is that bulky carrhart he was wearing wasn’t allowing him to properly seat the butt to his shoulder. I’ll watch for it though. This is the kid that doesn’t flinch with the KS-47.

I’m sure you remember this picture of him and my AR-15, both eyes open, fire coming out of the barrel. Maybe I’ll film him shooting and slow it down so he can see what he’s doing.

F9754B00-F761-4AE6-B518-589A40A5956D.jpeg

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
I will in time. I have a VR60 for my own fun. I’m still investigating semi autos that are out now. It’s unfortunate but you can’t just trust a name like you could once upon a time. I just needed a few shotguns quickly and figured you can’t go wrong with an 870. The other 2 were on sale for $149. For that money, if they shoot straight and cycle well, they are worth it to have some extras. H&R used to make them in the US but that changed in 2017. The receiver is made in China, the barrel in Huntsville, AL. Nonetheless, I’ve heard good things. Semi-autos are a different animal. So many things have to be just right for it to function and cycle properly. Double Barrels are hard to come by.
Remington 1100 youth would be a good semi to look at. There are a few others that offer youth/ladies sized stocks as well.
As to O/Us, there are plenty to choose from but do not waste your money on cheap ones. Better to go the semi route with a gun that works versus buying a cheap O/U with poor barrel regulation and that falls apart in a short while.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I just wanted to give an update on the trap shooting. At the last min, and I mean hours before the first session, I got notice that they were going to proceed with the league for the kids. Because it was last min, my kids and my brother’s aren’t shooting, however, my brother is still assistant coach and I am still the RSO. Being last min and the fact that they had planned 75-100 shots per kid per day instead of 25 per session, we decided to have our kids sit it out and pick it up in the fall when scheduling isn’t nuts. We brought our kids in to finish the shooting portion of the safety cert and they are done. They are good to start the fall league. We have our own trap equipment to work with them so they don’t get behind.

We have 8 shooters still (order boys) and we just finished the 3rd shoot. Today was the first day I saw no safety issues. I had a talk with all of them yesterday about the things I was seeing and exactly why I wanted things done a certain way. Hats off to the kids for taking direction and improving.

Several good shooters in the group. One nearly had a perfect shoot today. Several only missed 2-3 in every 25. Improving with each day. After 75rds, I’m sure they are beaten and bruised after each session but these boys have heart and never complained once. It’s a shame but I don’t think there will be a tournament until at least next year due to restrictions and fears of the rona. Oh well, one year under the belt before they head off against another team will be good for them.

I won’t get into shooting technique but we have 2 kids calling pull and following the target before flipping the safety and finding their trigger. They are trying to do too many things while tracking the target and it’s costing them 7-10 targets a set vs the boys that are already set. I’ve had the conversation with the coach that I think it’s taking their attention off the target in the 2 seconds they have to find the target, switch the safety, find the trigger and pull it. I’m going to leave that in his hands. It’s just an observation.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
After 75rds, I’m sure they are beaten and bruised
They shouldn't be. If they are, then guns do not fit them properly and drop using any load over 1oz; 7/8 would be even better.

Reactions: Wag

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Idk, we had one kid come in day 2 and show us the bruises
Then, most likely, his gun does not fit, his hold and stance were incorrect and his loads too stout, or some combination thereof, all which leads to why old trap shooters have severe flinches so they need release triggers to continue shooting.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts