National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
Also apparently have a Remington 1100 in the safe too

What kind of safe do you have? I wish i could open mine and just find an 1100!

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've been able to do 75 straight with my 12 ga. O/U Browning, not even 25 with my 20 ga. O/U Beretta. It's much easier with a 12. I can't imagine having to pump while doing this, but obviously, some great shooters do.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mjcmichigan, that’s awesome. This is the first year for this district. With the number of kids on the field, the more adults the better. Half are in junior high, which is a good time to start. I’m looking at clay target launchers for the house already. We have one out at the in-laws but they have 4 grandkids that joined the team. I assume it’s going to get it’s fair use.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Ok, took Max out with the 28” 870 12ga. He seems to be comfortable with it. He was shooting light target loads through an enhanced turkey choke so it probably kicked a little harder than it would have with a modified choke. I gather it’s .050 smaller than bore size (I haven’t measured). He should do just fine with heavy target loads.

I think I have some higher velocity #6 game loads we could try later.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
What kind of safe do you have? I wish i could open mine and just find an 1100!
Got a 36 gun Liberty, 88 gun Gettysburg and a 6’x6’ rifle display case. I’m giving serious thought to bringing in a 20’ shipping container or 2 and making a vault out of them. I like to see what I have. I enjoy the collecting as much as the shooting. I am toying with the idea. I don’t have that many guns, they are just spread around, my brother in laws guns are here for safe keeping while he’s going through a divorce so I have more than usual at the moment.

I have to up my game. My brother just 1-up’d me and bought 3x 88 gun safes and I set them in the wall of his man cave

CCB08755-B65C-4DB1-A3E0-31CA2EEF7309.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I pulled the Remington 26” 20ga off layaway and bought Nic a Remington 870 Youth 21” 20ga. So we have that, the Remington 28” 12ga and 2x H&R 28” 12ga 1871 Pardners I paid off today so I can pick them all up Monday. My clay target thrower came in today. Just got it put together. Got the model you can just plug into the hitch on the truck or 4wheeler. That’ll come in handy and save my back from all the bending over.

B3F378DB-5E58-4416-B3B5-169441212F50.jpeg

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
All 4 shotguns and the target thrower combined was right at $1,000.
And if that works for you, GREAT! I have a Beretta O/U and the spare trigger group alone is $900, so 4 guns for about that is a good deal if they work for you.

·
Premium Member
6,659 Posts
Ok so we’ll dig down about 91/2 ‘ and set those cargo boxes right into the hole we’re going to cut into the foundation and set them at the correct height so that the doors will swing into the basement like a vault. Backfill over the top and wire them for lights and dehumanizing. Then we’ll get going on the interiors. I know we can get digital locks for the doors. If you get the ones with the oak floors we can have them finished into a real nice looking hardwood floor. Fire, flood and theft proof!

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Ok so we’ll dig down about 91/2 ‘ and set those cargo boxes right into the hole we’re going to cut into the foundation and set them at the correct height so that the doors will swing into the basement like a vault. Backfill over the top and wire them for lights and dehumanizing. Then we’ll get going on the interiors. I know we can get digital locks for the doors. If you get the ones with the oak floors we can have them finished into a real nice looking hardwood floor. Fire, flood and theft proof!
Better insulate and waterproof them or you will have a large collection of rusty objects,

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
And if that works for you, GREAT! I have a Beretta O/U and the spare trigger group alone is $900, so 4 guns for about that is a good deal if they work for you.
Its like anything else with kids, if they take up a sport, you have to make sure they have the equipment to play. Never go all out right away because they may get 3-4 weeks in and decide they don’t like it, in which case, they’ll make decent spare bird guns instead of rotting in my safe. If I spent $1700 on that O/U in RK and my kids did that, I’d be kind of pissed.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Unless you’re burying it in the side of a hill so the ground can be drained, no way. Even then, you’d have to weld a steel floor on the bottom, it’s just plywood, coat the outside with basement wall waterproofing, figure out how to anchor it to the basement wall with a permanent seal between them. This doesn’t even address the fact the sides are designed to carry a stacked load, not side pressure. I’d be willing to bet with most soils, the sides would buckle when the ground saturated. You’d be far better off entombing it in concrete.

Think I’m going above ground with one of these numbers, 2 wide, welded together and attached to the mud room on the back of the house (currently my loading room). Install vault door.

81F2EA87-1404-45DE-B3F2-B409CEA7AE7A.png

Set on a regular stemwall foundation. Paint it black for now, later we’ll put a roof and siding on it and you won’t be able to tell it’s not a room on the house.

·
Registered
14,029 Posts
I can second that the side walls are VERY weak. We use the small conex boxes(20') that are converted to roll off boxes to haul recycling and end the small ends which are stronger get all dented up and caved in from guys backing into them. The roof is also very weak, the only strong points are the 4 outer posts which take all the weight when they are stacked. Believe it or not but the floors are stronger than the roof. Most of the ones i have seen are hardwood floors with steel supports while the roof is just sheet metal with ribs every 3-4 feet. The rust out fairly quickly and i would imagine in the ground that would happen real fast unless it's a real dry area or some very good waterproofing was done.

Glad you got all your stuff, cool clay thrower! You may want to talk to the club that's hosting the shooting and see if they will sell you clays. Buying them by the box at say walmart or other stores can get expensive. I have seen guys work deals with clubs when they do orders to get 50 or a 100 boxes at cost or slightly above price if you help unload when they come in. They usually order them by the half or full tractor trailer load.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
$6/90 targets is what RK is charging. Don’t know where that is in the grand scheme. Have yet to do that investigation.

I figured those containers rusted quickly. I plan to take them out by the range an give them a healthy dose of tractor/ implement paint. There are chemicals to neutralize rust. That’ll hold it at bay until I can clad the structure. I am experimenting with different materials. It’s been too cold to do any penetration testing. Looking for a cheap way to stop at least handgun rounds. I’ve seen some impressive result with homemade materials but nothing cost effective yet. The key is I want the walls to catch the bullet, not deflect it. Last thing you want is a negligent discharge bouncing around inside. The entire structure will be framed internally on all 5 sides with 2x4 framing. Cement board on the shell side and the interior hasn’t been decided. Floor will likely be either the same or poured cement with radiant heat. I have to figure out the weight first.

Basically, if the house burns down, vault should survive. If the vault catches fire, it’ll be contained within the vault. In the event my wife and kids need to get to a safe place, ie, someone’s trying to get in the house or messing around outside, they can shut themselves in the vault until police can get here. If an intruder did manage to get the vault door open, it would be the last place on earth they’d want to enter.

·
Premium Member
6,659 Posts
I have a 20’ box for storage of tools and such. I had to install some vents because there was considerable condensation. I would encase it in concrete and getting it to fit up against the foundation would be simple. I also would coat it with foundation coat beforehand. You’d have to keep the concrete to about 4” but again that’s not a problem. The double doors that come on the box are plenty tough and with a better lock system would be nearly impossible for someone to get into with out MAJOR tools. The floor in mine is 3/4” oak planks. Smelled like coffee when I got it. You can put whatever kind of flooring you would want over that. Airflow is your friend and air infiltration is your enemy. If you get a 40’ box and vent it properly you could use it as a indoor range, lol!

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have a 20’ box for storage of tools and such. I had to install some vents because there was considerable condensation. I would encase it in concrete and getting it to fit up against the foundation would be simple. I also would coat it with foundation coat beforehand. You’d have to keep the concrete to about 4” but again that’s not a problem. The double doors that come on the box are plenty tough and with a better lock system would be nearly impossible for someone to get into with out MAJOR tools. The floor in mine is 3/4” oak planks. Smelled like coffee when I got it. You can put whatever kind of flooring you would want over that. Airflow is your friend and air infiltration is your enemy. If you get a 40’ box and vent it properly you could use it as a indoor range, lol!
you need an air conditioner or dehumidifier to pull the moisture out, that’ll stop the condensation in the summer. In the winter, a heat unit. My brother has a cool little combo unit attached to his garage. It’s self contained like that on a refrigerated trailer. I want 2x 20’ side by side to make. 20’x16’ room. I was going to either weld the doors shut or use a steel barricade on the inside so they can’t be opened from the outside. That can be hidden inside the wall.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nic has been walking around for like 2 hours playing with the action. My wife is about to strangle me. It’s awesome, like buying him a drum set, haha.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'm very surprised you didn't get any autoloaders or double barrels.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I will in time. I have a VR60 for my own fun. I’m still investigating semi autos that are out now. It’s unfortunate but you can’t just trust a name like you could once upon a time. I just needed a few shotguns quickly and figured you can’t go wrong with an 870. The other 2 were on sale for $149. For that money, if they shoot straight and cycle well, they are worth it to have some extras. H&R used to make them in the US but that changed in 2017. The receiver is made in China, the barrel in Huntsville, AL. Nonetheless, I’ve heard good things. Semi-autos are a different animal. So many things have to be just right for it to function and cycle properly. Double Barrels are hard to come by.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts