National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been packing and shooting the .38/.357 for over 40yrs. I really like J-frames at about 15oz's as they pack so well. You forget about even having them on. But the .357 20oz models can hurt after just a little practice time. IMHO you need to get over 27oz's before the .357 starts coming into it's world. The 23/4" to 31/4" model guns is where it starts to shine. Of corse the 4" and 6" models really tame it down but they don't pack as easy. Agree/Disagree :?:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I do agree completly. I like to buy the 357 versions and then just stick with the hot 38 stuff.

I am not a LEO so I don't expect to get into a big standoff gunfight with anyone so I don't feel the need to pack the heavy 357 stuff, unless carrying in the woods. Hot 38 special loads will scare off most folks and do a great job in a small defensive revolver.

I have a model 65 SS ladysmith (don't tell anyone) that I use if I need to fire 357 mag rounds.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Baldy said:
I agree with you Mr Sig. I wish I could find a good used Lady Smith but they are scarce as hens teeth around here unless you buy new. I shot one down at the range about a year ago and it was smooth as silk on the trigger. I'll keep looking at gun shows and pawn shops. :)
I have the model 36 version in 38 special and the model 65 version in 357 mag. Both are stainless steel with a brushed finish. I took off the Rosewood grips and put on the over-molded rubber ones to improve the grip of the revolvers. Both fine shooters that have not had more than a few boxes fired through them over the years. Safe Queens. They are getting a bit pricey anymore.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean by pricey. Old S&W's are selling for almost as much as new and certain models are way pass new. I came into a pair of of M-36's last year at a gun show. 1973 blued and a 1983 nickeled. I done a little tuning on them for carry and this is what I came up with.

1973 M-36 with Tyler T Grips and 1983 with Houge Monogrip. :-B-:

:D I have test and come up with a good load for them that is just a little under a full P+ load and they are very accurate even in my old shakey hands. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
:cool: I've been shooting 357 mag, for over 50 yrs and since I reload, I don't see much reason for loading up the 38spl--

--Here are two of my favorite 357's, middle is S&W 686- 6" and bottom one is Ruger 3", the S&W is like a target shooter say (Colt PYTHON) and the Ruger is a defense carry-on--

-The other (top) isn't a 357

-- :--- :--- --JIMBO

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sir Mr Jim I hear you, as I been shooting them for over 45yrs myself. I like the M-36 and the others because of there size. When you carry all day and work with a gun on the 15oz 36's fill the bill. I reload myself and I got a good load for them.
Those are some fine looking revolvers you got in that picture. Got me drooling all over. :D

G

·
I luv my .357. Cannon fire with the good loads, drop back to .38 for cheep shooting and less recoil.
IMHO the GP-100 is best buy for the money.
sniff, sold my GP to S-9. At least it's in good hands. --Shenine--

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a model 65 SS ladysmith (don't tell anyone) that I use if I need to fire 357 mag rounds.
Hey Sig,

I bet it looks a lot like this!!! ;)

Don't worry, just tell them that you like fondling women!!! :twisted:

This gets fired with 158gr magnum loads only.
Anything lighter screws up your forcing cone!!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
denfoote said:
Hey Sig,

I bet it looks a lot like this!!! ;)

Don't worry, just tell them that you like fondling women!!! :twisted:

This gets fired with 158gr magnum loads only.
Anything lighter screws up your forcing cone!!

That it! Thats it! And.......yes I have always enjoyed fondling women. Rub and pet my ladysmiths often. ;)

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I've said before and I'll say it again.

No gun is a pretty as a wheel gun.

They have lots of character that a semi just can't compare with.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If the .38 S&W Special Cartridge and all of the platforms devised for it, had been fully effective in all applications, there would have been no need for anyone to develop the .357 Magnum cartridge. Considering that the .38 Special had only been around for about 36 years or so, when the .357 Mag. was developed, back in the mid 1930's, there must have been a perceived and, in fact, a real need for something with a bit more power - hence the .357 Mag. This is not to say that the .38 Spl does not have utility in any number of circumstances, it merely means that there were other applications for which it was found not to be adequate. Sort those applications out for yourself. Buy a piece capable of handling either round and choose the one that is adequate for the circumstance that you anticipate, but always be prepared for the worst case.

G

·
I purchased one of those j-frames with the internal hammer chambered in .38spl with Crimson Trace laser grips. I love the damn thing but I wished I would have purchased one that would have handled both the .357mag and the .38spl.

BTW, lately I have found myself being drawn to the various wheel guns. I have always been a semi-auto fan (owning 4 currently) but I am now starting to appreciate revolvers so much more.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My wife has a GP100 that shoots awful nice with the .38 +P stuff.
Not near as punishing if you are going to shoot for some time.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
For me it is all about the gun. I will use a 38 when I carry a small light gun and step up to a 357 in a heavier frame. I think they brought out the magnum to suplement the special in large part for hunting. There was no 44 mag back then. Unfortunately for them the 38 was hampered by poor bullets for self defense too. The magnum helped a little in this area also. Now with modern bullets I have no worries about using 38 specials for defense. I look more toward control when I use my snub gun. If I want more power in a compact wheel gun I will grab my SP101 instead of my airweight smith. You gotta love options!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts