National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about that laws in your state? Are they TOO HARSH?

Florida is pretty good when it comes down to gun laws..... At least comparing them to others.

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
I'd say SC is pretty gun friendly. We have a castle doctrine, a recent court ruling brought to light that posession or private sale of handguns to people under 21 is legal, shall issue ccw, though no open carry. To my knowledge class 3 stuff is not a problem here, no supid magazine capacity limits, etc. So, no complaints as far as gun laws.

Now on issues of say...education, highway maintenance, race relations.......

the list goes on and on of backwardness in this state on just about any other issue.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Well, I'm stuck in CA. I really don't mind the harsh gun laws here due to the fact they don't affect my style of firearms I'm into. I do plan on getting out soon hopefully when I'm 21 or older so I can have some NFA fun.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
New Mexico is among the best in the country. Especially since we finally got CCW in 2005. Not only that, but NM is tough on criminals who use firearms in the commission of their crimes. That's the way it should be, IMO. Don't make the Good Guys pay for what the Bad Guys do!

We have a lot of places to shoot, reasonable hunting laws with almost unlimited hunting opportunities, as well.

PLEASE don't tell everyone, though -- we kind'a like having <2 million folks in our 121K sq. mi. state.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Virginia is great for gun rights, with the exception of no Castle Doctrine.

The only thing we have to go on as far as legal self-defense is concerned are court cases.

Other than that, Open Carry at 18, even if you're not a resident.

And Shall Issue for CCW.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No complaints about PA. I got my permit to carry in about 30 minutes and it takes about that long to walk out the door with a gun at a gun shop.

·
Banned
921 Posts
Texas
We got it all
Just no Open Carry (mostly)

I lived in Boston Mass for awhile, you could own,look, or think about a gun in that city.

They locked up the Airsoft and Paintball guns with the real guns for god sakes.

Screwed up thing, there were shootings all the time, all the guns used were illegaly owned too. Tsk tsk, gun laws dont stop bad people from owning guns

W

·
0 Posts
Georgia has issued CCW for many years, I got one when I turned 21 way back in '64. Open carry has always been OK without a permit.
We now have the Castle Doctrine and this year a law was passed removing many of the former restrictions on concealed carry, ie, public parks, public buildings and gatherings.

The only regret is that no training or safety course is required. We have many people walking around with a concealed weapon who have no idea how to safely use it.:yikes1:

Contrast that to hunting: In GA you have to take a State Hunter Safety course before you can buy a hunting license! :thumbsup:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
In Florida it's not to bad. The process was taking about 3 months and I here they have it down to about a month or 6wks. I think they charge to much and that they should have a life time lic. :sosp:

C

·
0 Posts
Colorado is good, we have CCW, but I'm not 21 yet, I'm only 18, so I open carry, It's the old west out here! We also have Castle doctrine, and some politicians are working to make it better. I did notice that someone said SC had "no problem with class 3 stuff, so no stupid magazine laws," one correction, a high capacity mag is not a class 3 weapon, it's just a stupid law California, I think Massachusetts, and others have.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oklahoma is pretty nice. No open carry, but I can live with that. Castle doctrine in full force and extended to within your vehicle as well as your home. We almost got the right for veterans to carry on public college campuses last year. I think they're going to try again this year, but make it for all licensees. That would be good. Now if they would only make it OK for State employees to carry at work...

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Oregon is pretty fair to gun owners. Its a Blue State but very unpopulated with lots of back-country. The large urban areas are liberal and the country folks are conservative.

Its easy to get a shall issue permit, and you can carry in most places, including schools and bars with that permit. Not in schools as an employee though.

Oregon does not recognize other states permits for some reason, nor does California.

We do not have the Castle Doctrine and it was voted down the last time it was presented. The legislature felt the law about self defense was clear and did not need enhancement. I for one hope they keep pushing it until it passes since we do have a massive liberal presence that has flowed into Oregon from California and other states. I suspect its only a matter of time until that will be a problem for gun owners.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I live in Illinois. We have Chicago, Mayor Daley, Senators Barak Obama and Dick Durbin.... do I need to say more?

Well maybe just a little -

No OC, no CCW, ammunition and weapon not in passenger compartment of vehicle and must be separated in trunk. 24 hour waiting period for long guns, 72 for handguns. Must have a FOID (Firearms Owner ID) card to purchase or own....

Enough said! :mad5:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
NJ gotta be the worst

Buying, owning and carrying a gun in this state is a gun advocates nightmare. I'ts working out okay for me because my retired law enforcement status allows me to carry. In any case it's still a horror for anyone to get a required gun permit to purchase, or do anything else involving guns here because the of the prevailing anti gun climate. I do not think that it's fair that only the police and retired police can carry. I totaly agree with the majority of the rest of the states that allow citizens the right to carry. Sometimes I'm tempted to move just because of the situation, but somebody needs to stay and try to keep the record straight and stand up for the few gun rights that remain in NJ. When I was a police officer I always gave gun carrying citizens all of the rights and courtesies that they deserved and were entitled to, but a lot of other officers didn't see it that way. I worked with a lot guys that had the attitude "I got mine because I'm a cop, and know one else should be allowed to have a gun". People with guns in this state are basically guilty of unlawful possession until proven otherwise. I"ve seen plenty of false arrests of lawful gun owners and and people that were in legal possession, and had no recourse at the time of the arrest. Usually after retaining an attorney and going through the hassle of answering a criminal charge in court the matter was resolved but the person was often still arrested and jailed without any civil recourse. Now with the help of the NRA legal department, some law enforcement in NJ is just beginning to rethink how they should handle people with guns.
I must say that law enforcement and legislators in NJ have a bad attitude towards people who have guns. I heard a horror story from a state trooper that told me that the state police have a no return gun policy for any reason. In other words if your gun is taken by them for any reason they simply will never return it to a citizen regardlesss of why it was taken. Here's an example: if you're gun/s are taken because you were involved in a domestic situation that was resolved without convictions, charges, or any court orders or mandates, the gun/s will not be returned to persons involved. I'm not certain how true that claim is currently, but I do know people who have concurred that it has happened to them, and that the police here in general do not like people with guns, nor or they good about returning them when they should be returned.
The horror stories go on and on. Please don't let them use NJ as a model for the rest of the country.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I live in Mass. The laws are slightly more restrictive here, but the courts are so damn liberal, that the penalities are always very light. I've locked up people for armed robbery that got probation.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Connecticut is fairly relaxed on gun laws. 21 for concealed pistol permit, 18 with a hunting license for long guns. Without permit or hunting license, no pistols and 14 day waiting period for long guns. My permit start to finish took about 4 weeks. Open carry is not illegal but you will not get far before the police stop you and charge you with "brandishing". You aren't allowed to scare soccer moms here.

T

·
0 Posts
maybe a stupid question but i dont know/understand castle doctrine.too lazy to look it up.any help out there.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
maybe a stupid question but i dont know/understand castle doctrine.too lazy to look it up.any help out there.
Castle Doctrine basically indemnifies you against a civil lawsuit (usually by the bad guy's family) if you use lethal force against an intruder in your own home. It's also called the 'stand your ground' law, as the state recognizes your right to defend your life anywhere you have a right to be.

Consider it the mirror opposite of 'duty to retreat.'

Virginia has no Castle Doctrine.

The thought was that the use of self defense has been well-supported by case law.

A bill in VA passed our House but was killed by the Senate, so we are still exposed to lawsuits if we defend ourselves in our own homes. Their excuse was the depth of case law on this issue.

Here's a write-up by a VCDL Executive Member in May 2005:

Virginia does not require retreat...sort of. To claim excusable homicide, one must retreat. Excusable is if you participate in an escalation of force, or a bringing on of the conflict, basically. If it isn't turned to gibberish, here's a quote from '33 Dodson vs. Commonwealth:

In McCoy V. Commonwealth, 125 Va. 771, 776, 99 S. E. 644, 646, Judge Burks, in speaking of the difference between justifiable and excusable homicide in self-defense, quotes with approval the following: "The rule may be briefly stated thus: If the accused is in no fault whatever, but in the discharge of a lawful act, he need not retreat, but may repel force by force, if need be, to the extent of slaying his adversary.

This is justifiable homicide in self-defense. But if a sudden fight is brought on, without malice or intention, the accused, if in fault, must retreat as far as he safely can, but, having done so and in good faith abandoned the fight, may kill his adversary, if he cannot in any other way preserve his life or save [980] himself from great bodily harm. Vaiden's Case, 12 Graft. (53 Va.) 717, 729."

Gilbert vs. Commonwealth ('98) covers much of the same ground. http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opncavtx/2527971.txt

·
Registered
785 Posts
Castle Doctrine will be in effect in Ohio next week. Concealed carry laws were rewritten a year or so ago to clarify a few items, especially about carrying in your car. However there are still too many restrictions on where you can carry. For instance, you can't carry in any establishment that sells liquor for on-site consumption. So I cannot carry in just about any sit down restaurant in the state, even if I do not intend to drink any alcohol.

The laws in Ohio aren't perfect, but it could be alot worse.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts