National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few different on line sellers for my gun purchases. I do use my LGS but especially in these times, the LGS has very little to offer and some have jumped real hard on the high price no stock band wagon.
I mainly use Gun Broker for the auctions. I’ve purchased 4 different guns in the last 6 months there. I used to check prices on Buds Gun Shop but they seem to be holding off on line sales and I guess just taking care of their brick and mortar stores.
where do you shop?

·
Registered
14,765 Posts
Probably close to 75% of my gun purchases come from one LGS i frequent. The other 25% comes from maybe 4-5 others that i occasionally go to, some are close and others are down near where i used to live. I'm not a order gun type person, usually just browse around and if something catches my fancy I'll buy it. The only guns i ever ordered online were 2 antique BP guns.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,379 Posts
I mostly shop at the LGS, however sometimes I'm looking for something my LGS doesn't have. Then I tend to look at BudsGunShop.com, ImpactGuns.com, and PalmettoStateArmory.com.

·
Aim true !
11,835 Posts
Mostly LGS here too. I did get 3 guns from Buds. My 10mm and .380 1911's i got 1 from tombstone tactical and 1 from Ky gun Co.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,252 Posts
I have used:
GunBroker (several flawless transactions)
Kentucky Gun Co. (These guys sent me a matte stainless CZ 75b that had corrosion on it. It took CZ 21 weeks to resolve. I have trust issues with both companies now)
Tombstone Tactical (These guys were excellent. They shipped a non compliant firearm to my FFL who made it state compliant. Their communication was excellent. Would absolutely deal with them again)
Northwest Armory (very quick shipping on the gun I purchased and good pricing. I asked them to ship a non-compliant firearm and they refused. I would still spend money with them)
Grab A gun (several flawless transactions)
Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo (very quick shipping and excellent pricing)
Sportsman Outdoor Superstore (Ive had 2 easy peasy transactions with them, very competitive pricing)

Now, I have made quite a few purchases with Buds Gun Shop. Their pricing is usually excellent to very fair, I love their price match feature, have gotten what I felt were a few good deals using it and they are generally pretty good about quickly shipping.

That said, I have had a few experiences with them that have really left a sour taste in my mouth.

I purchased a handgun from them around 11pm one evening. lets just say the gun was $650 (I dont remember the exact numbers, it was a H&K VP9) I log in to their site less than 12 hours later and the same exact gun was $600. I contacted customer service explained that I bought it less than 12 hours ago and asked if they would honor the $600 price. They gave me some excuse about they purchase guns in lots and they would not be able to adjust the price. Needless to say I felt a bit of a way about it.

Another time I was looking at a handgun that was not state compliant. Buds offers a "high capacity magazine removal service" so again I contact their customer service and inquire how that works. I was less than happy with the answer and I'd hardly call it a service.

They remove the magazines and send the firearm without them. They do not discount the firearm at all to even partially cover what it may cost to replace the magazines that they removed nor will they replace the non compliant mags with state compliant ones. They simply remove something you paid for, charge full retail and call it a service. (in my instance they would have been removing over $80 worth of magazines)

To pour salt in the wound, they then gave me some BS, saying the magazines they remove must be destroyed because they are not state compliant. Buds is based in a state with no magazine restrictions and you know as well as I do they will likely resell those magazines or get a credit from the manufacturer.

At that point I felt like they were insulting my intelligence. I wasn't happy with the explanation I got about the price change and not discounting the gun and I was less than pleased with what they call a "service".
I won't buy from them unless I'm forced into it and cant find what I'm after elsewhere at a competitive price.

·
Aim true !
11,835 Posts
My sorta of a complaint with buds. I had my Chiappa 1911 fixed by them. I took out the extended warranty on it. They fixed it right. But never told me what they did to fix it. I gave up after a few attempts to find out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use one LGS, only because it's within 5 minutes of my work and I can go on my lunch break. I think they are higher priced than many other stores I've been to, but the convenience keeps me a customer.

For parts, I use Primary Arms, MidwayUSA, and PSA sometimes. They all sell FFL items, and maybe NFA stuff (not sure) but I've only ever bought a few lower receivers online.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've bought online, but I guess you can call me a "Gun Shop Fudd" . I prefer to purchase my firearms locally.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I too like to purchase locally but inventory is low to non existent. Every time buy a gun on line I tell myself that I’m done for awhile. Next thing I’m looking at GB and doing the math of how much would pay an then shipping, transfer and background check. I bought a Rossi semi auto .22 NIB for $109. All said and done it was really $184. Still not bad but not a super deal. If I buy local I only pay for the additional for the background check but the price is higher and availability is low. Problem is that I probably wouldn’t buy at all except it was a deal got excited and it’s fun to bid on guns. The key to buying on line is having a reasonable priced FFL to do the paperwork. My guy is $50. I have another guy for $45 but he’s hard to deal with because it’s a par time thing and you have to deal at his convenience.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,252 Posts
Come to think of it... I did have an issue with a GunBroker vendor about 6 months ago. The seller was Yeti Firearms. I believe they’re in Arizona if my memory serves. (There may even be a thread around here about it)
When they created the USPS shipping label they left off a digit for my FFL’s address. Instead of the correct 123 FFL street. They sent it to 12 FFL street.
Thankfully 12 FFL street does not exist in his town.

Yetis communications was good and they were responsive. When I called them I happened to get the guy that made the mistake. He was very apologetic but he didn’t seem as concerned about it as I was. I’m the one that spent an hour on the phone with USPS trying to get it corrected. Which ended up being a complete waste of time. (because I was not the shipper they wouldn’t allow any changes. Circumstances were irrelevant. USPS did not care that it was firearm in route to an incorrect address. A little frustrating to say the least)

I feel Yeti is the one that should have been on the phone with USPS as it was their mistake not mine. (They put in for an address change online)

That said it all worked out. The package arrived back to them. On the day they received it back they asked the mailman to hang out a minute, they put the correct shipping label on and gave it right back to him. It all worked out thankfully it just about a week longer than it should have. No big deal at the end of the day.

·
Registered
14,765 Posts
Speed, if that ever happens again can you have them use my address?

Reactions: Speed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Buds “qualified professional discount” is good if you qualify for it. The items go quick, so you need to check frequently, but they are priced well.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,586 Posts
I try to get them local but some guns I’ve bought just aren’t carried local. Some online vendors I’ve had good transactions with...

Impact guns, both my 500 magnum and 300 PRC came from them. So did my NAA Hogleg. Slow as molasses but dependable. The NAA came with some noticeable abrasions on the barrel. Wasn’t happy about that but I never called them about it. Another thing to note is that their search feature is the worst I’ve ever seen on any sight. You can’t filter to what’s in stock , it’s in stock and backorderable. 99% is backorderable. It’s a pain in the ass to use and most of the time I don’t have the patience for it.

Locked and Loaded (also a local shop) but I’ve ordered a Bond Arms derringer and a pair of Single Six Bisleys from their site. Also bought a 380EZ from the brick and mortar store. Also slow to ship. They order from the distributor after you place the order. I assume that’s what Impact has done above.

Kentucky Gun Co. I have one on layaway now but I have haunted their site many times. Good prices. I’ll have to update when I get my Uberti paid for.

Buds Gun Shop, I ordered my second 45 Blackhawk Bisley from them. The transaction was smooth but from what I’ve seen lately, I’d be a bit hesitant to buy again.

RKguns is a good place but 1, they are slow. Expect 2-3 weeks to ship. 2, they just changed their policy on shipping guns and will no longer ship to a 3rd party FFL. It has to go to one of their stores. Prices however are very hard to beat. I’ve ordered 3x Springfield XDMs from them and countless guns in the brick and mortar stores. Best customer service if you have a local store. I think i have around 35 guns in my safe that came from there, possibly more. This is my goto store if it’s in stock. Their online selection is much bigger than any of their stores would carry.

Farm and Home Supply, I haven’t ordered from their site but I’ve had good dealings with the brick and mortar stores. Probably purchased 10 guns at least from them. I can think of 1 Ruger Precision, 3 Ruger Blackhawks, 3 1911s, 1 Henry Golden Boy. I know there’s more I just can’t think of them off the top of my head.

Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore, bought a Henry from them. Was smooth. Can’t recall the shipping times with them.

iAmmo, bought a 1911 from them. It was smooth and quick.

Tombstone Tactical, bought my Wyatt Earp Buntline from them. Flawless but a warning if you use layaway with them, you just forfeit what you paid in if you cancel. By far the steepest restocking fee I’ve ever heard of. Absurd but best you know that going in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hyatt’s Gun and Pawn, Charlotte, NC. Have dealt with them directly, reloading, gun sales, etc. Great customer service, good prices ( no gouging!) Just recently acquired another firearm through them, had it shipped to my FFL locally. Everything I have purchased through them has been at least as good as described, and much better for the most part. Love these guys.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
I almost forgot. A long time ago I bought something at Bud's and then found a better price elsewhere. I showed Bud's the proof and no problem. They paid me the difference. Pretty great!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I usually deal with LGS for firearm purchases, but recently went through Gun Broker with Tin Star Firearms in Oklahoma. They had my 1911 at my local FFL in two days, free shipping, to boot. Other gear purchases from Palmetto State, Ammoshoponline, LAX, Underwood ammo directly, Midway, Amazon and Optics Planet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts