National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you take any firearms with you camping? If so, what kind and why?

I don't, because I dont camp much anymore, and see no need in the area
that I would go, except maybe a self-defence pistol for the occasional
drunk, or otherwise malfunctioning, Home Sapien, making an Australopithecus
out of himself. :eek:

When I did go way out and camp on a deserted beach, desert, river, or forest -
and I did (a lot) of that for about thirty years- my sidekick was always a SA Ruger
of some kind, or a small Ruger Mk 1.

What do you pack out there in 'Danial Boonesville?'
:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:cool: -Yea Zip, I still camp a lot and always go very remote on 4wd trails only (high lakes) and streams in the Northern Sierras--

--As soon as we get out of The public, I strap on my old Duty belt with the S & W 1911 and two loaded mags -It's cocked and Locked--I already put it's picture on this forum--

--I always get myFed/BLM fire permit in early January-

-- :-B-: --JIMBO

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
If I am in the boondocks I usually pack my lightweight Kimber 45 acp. In a campground or on the road usually one of my pocket guns. Maybe a 380 or a Smith 38.

I have been worried more staying in a motel late at night in Stockton CA than in most Oregon campgrounds. In a large campground, occupied by lots of other folks you are unlikely to have any problems.

Up in the MT Hood area there are some isolated campgrounds and it is possible to have an encounter with a black bear, cougar or one of the weird two legged critters that live in the woods.
I will have my trusty 45 acp loaded with hot stuff and a second mag of ball in those situations. There have been times when I have taken my 44 mag or 45 LC along.

It would make a lot of sense to toss a small lever rifle in the trunk just in case, especially during the week when the campgrounds are empty and the bears come down to check things out and forage for food.

I think you might be in for a major legal battle if you had to shoot a bear in Oregon in a campground. You best let the bear maul you a bit first then you will only get manslaughter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:cool: -Yea Lee, I've got a good Ruger combo for those pesky squirrels--

leeindy said:
ruger 10/22 for those damn annoying squirrels.
--Ruger 10/22 and MK11-

--

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Nice..... Can you fire those from your breakfast room window in the middle of suburbia?!?!? :mrgreen: Those pesky varmints have done a number on my birdfeeders.......... stinky buggers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For pretty close to 30 years, I can't remember camping without a 629.

I wilderness camp - no campgrounds for me.

And I don't give a rip what the law says about it being OK to turn me into bear food.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:cool: -NO. sometimes I take them "out" with me, but our laws don't condone discharging firearms within city limits--(read my signature comment)

SheNine said:
Nice..... Can you fire those from your breakfast room window in the middle of suburbia?!?!? :mrgreen: Those pesky varmints have done a number on my birdfeeders.......... stinky buggers!
--Even though, I have about 15 trees around my back- and the squirrels are so big, they walk slowly in front of my Dog(austrailian Sheppard) and she don't mess with them. Huge gray squirrels BIG bushy tails, but hell they don't eat much--

-- :-B-: -JIMBO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Huge gray squirrels
Jimbo ... I hate to disagree with you - BUT - my ex-girlfriend's dad taught me something pretty interesting when I was about 15. He said that when "Huge gray squirrels" attain the size of absolutely HUGE that they somehow are mysteriously transformed into a completely different species!

Yep! I was quite sceptical, myself, until he further explained himself.

Firstly, he was a Texan, RIP, and as a Texan, some things are the same - but different.

Secondly, he showed me how they had actually mysteriously turned into 'tree rabbits,' Of course,
those he had in his game vest were beheaded, detailed, skinned with feet removed! They sure
looked like rabbits, to me - in that condition - and tasted like rabbit, too! I've asked a quite a few folks about 'tree rabbits' and only Texans seem familiar with them.

Yep! Never questioned Wild Bill McCurley after that - the man was a genius!
:-B-: :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:cool: -Jesus Zip, they're not THAT huge maybe 2 lbers,24/26 inches full length and I swear that sometimes in the evening a couple of the STUDS carry sidearms--Maybe yes, Maybe no-I ain't messin with em either--

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
..... and you should see what they do to a birdfeeder surrounded by a wire frame! :eek: They don't seem to care too much about the dog either, they just sneak past her and get to working on the feeder. This year they even destroyed 2 hummingbird feeders........ squirrels? sugar water? I don't know.................. :roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
maybe you should put a little tequila in with the sugar water, get the squirrels bombed out of their skulls , put them in a box and go for a drive to your nearest culvert. the only action we get around our humming bird feeders, is the hummingbirds fighting each other over who gets to drink the sugar water.ofcourse if you put tequila in your feeders, you'd have drunk hummingbirds to. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. quite a delema. pblsyd

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
pblsyd said:
maybe you should put a little tequila in with the sugar water, get the squirrels bombed out of their skulls
I'm not going to waste good tequila man! Geez - what you thinking! ;)

I'm busted!! :mrgreen: I have a little bird dish with water in that the squirrels come and drink from so I tried putting vodka in it - they wouldn't come near. Even the birds stayed away. I felt kinda bad so I threw it out....... :oops:

I've tried hot peppers, vinegar, squirrel baffles, vaseline on the poles...... nothing - they keep getting to the feeders!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The same Glock I always carry. No reason to change it in Arizona where I live. The major "threat" in the desert is humans rather than animals. I usually have a rifle and/or shotgun along, too, though that's more for fun shooting than defense.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts