National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are AR-15's just the same as m4 carbines and m16's? cause im thinkin about gettin one....even though i always rip on them because i love my ak. oh and prices would be greatly aprreciated or a link to a site or anything like that.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
are AR-15's just the same as m4 carbines and m16's?
Short answer......no. M16's are military/police only, full length usually 16-20" barrel, full length handguards and have the three round /fully auto trigger assembly. AR-15's are the civilian version of the M16 with a different trigger assembly, and M4 versions of the AR-15 are what we used to call CARs, or the shorty versions of the AR-15 family....usually 16" barrel or less (with flash hider), short handguards, and generally a collapsible stock. An M4 is still an AR-15. Get a Bushmaster and be happy.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
M4 versions of the AR-15 are what we used to call CARs, or the shorty versions of the AR-15 family....usually 16" barrel or less (with flash hider), short handguards, and generally a collapsible stock.
And don't forget about the tacticool cut out mount for the M203 on the barrel. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Actually, the only real diffrence is a sear...they are made by the same companies, same parts, and are almost 100% interchangeable...

And a good Ar will run anywhere from 800-1200. The one ive been eyeing is a Colt 16 inch barrel, RIS forgrip, detachable backup iron sights, EO-tech sight, forgrip, and collapsable stock. It will run me about 1400.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
There are more differences than just the sear. The lower receiver dimensions are different to prevent someone from merely installing an auto sear and making the rifle FA. The selector lever is also different, as is the hammer and the bolt carrier group.

JUST FYI, in case you didn't know this: If you own just an auto sear, or an auto hammer, or an auto selector lever, or an auto lower receiver, or an auto bolt carrier group...
In the eyes of the BATF, you own a fully-automatic rifle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts