National Gun Forum banner

XDM 9mm 3.8 vs 4.5 accuracy

14K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Outdoorsman5 
#1 ·
I have read a lot of posts that the XDM 3.8 compared to the 4.5 at shorter ranges (<25 yards) the barrel length does not affect accuracy. Does anyone have any range experience to confirm or deny what I have read elsewhere. I bought the 3.8 because it was a Davidson which gives me a great lifetime warranty and was being sold for the same price as the 4.5. I just want to know if having a lifetime warranty is going to do me any good should my life be cut short due to me not being able to accurately defend myself. I am hesitant to shoot the gun and render it used before I get some confirmation so any bit helps.
Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
I've heard some people say that there's no difference between the 3.8 and 4.5 within 15 yards or so, but at 25 yards + the groupings of the 3.8 are around 3-4 inches larger than that of the 4.5.

#3 ·
That is what I have heard on other forums. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience. I guess I am going to keep the 3.8. Worst case scenario I am still going to own one of the highest quality and most reliable polymer pistols available. Thanks for the reply. I look forward to all the future discussion on this site. I got responses from my first two posts within hours. Seems like a great place to share our interest in firearms.

#4 ·
Thanks for answering. That is what I have heard on other forums. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience. I guess I am going to keep the 3.8. Worst case scenario I am still going to own one of the highest quality and most reliable polymer pistols available. What more can you ask for than dead on balls accuracy at 15 yards, 19+1 and a gun you can field strip blindfolded. On top of those features the bi color is pretty sharp looking but could present glare compromising stealth so I went with the all black, it is a little cheaper too. Thanks again for the reply. I traded in a gently used S&W M&P 9mm + $150 cash which I thought was a good deal. I loved the Smith but I like to have new gun every few years. I look forward to all the future discussion on this site. I got responses from my first two posts within hours. Seems like a great place to share our interest in firearms.

#9 ·
I have the 4.5 inch barrel, and bought this gun for the range. I have 5 other handguns with shorter barrels ranging from 2.125 inches to 3.78 inches. My XDM 4.5 inch is my most accurate handgun, but it never gets carried anywhere since it's so big. If you are using the gun just for the range & home defense then keep the 4.5 inch barrel. If you plan on cc the gun then get the smaller barrel.....or get both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.