National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I just bought a XD9 and when i go to the range everybody there is trying to tell me that a 9mm wont stop a stray dog. So please tell me they are full of it :thumbsup:

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Uh, many rural folks put down their dogs with a .22

And the .22 is a favorite among hit men.

Ask them exactly where they ever saw a 9mm fail in such a circumstance.

Now, if the dog is on PCP or crack, well, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LEO's have carried 9mm handguns for how many years? 15? 20?

You're good to go. The 9mm is capable of stopping much more than stray dogs,
especially with the right kind of ammo.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I happen to carry other calibers, but 9mm is more than adequate for personal protection. 'Round these parts we don't shoot stray dogs, though. Most of them end up living with US!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Hi guys. I just bought a XD9 and when i go to the range everybody there is trying to tell me that a 9mm wont stop a stray dog. So please tell me they are full of it :thumbsup:
XD9 will stop a stray dog, even a big one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know about dogs, but last year an obviously ill red fox stumbled onto the rifle range at our local club. After watching it stagger in circles we decided it needed to be put down. At thirty yds. one round of 9mm jhp did the job nicely and cleanly. It nearly cut it in half so I think 9mms will get the job done for SD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The next time somebody tells you that, ask them if they would volunteer to be shot with your 9mm. If they say no, them ask them why not since the 9mm is such a wimpy caliber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The next time somebody tells you that, ask them if they would volunteer to be shot with your 9mm. If they say no, them ask them why not since the 9mm is such a wimpy caliber.
never thought about saying that. :thumbsup:

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Welcome to the 9mm VS .45ACP debate... or AKA, "Mine is bigger than yours!" Argument.

Yes... a .45 is "bigger" and does have more stopping power...
BUT, a 9mm has a higher velocity than most any other caliber... even a .45.

If you're loaded with a good +P+ hollow point round, and are a decent shot...
you will absolutely stop (kill) almost anything smaller than a bear with it.

I carry a 9mm, and I am certain of it's protection ability.... PERIOD.

Tell the guys... at least in this matter...
"Size, is not always what matters... it's how you use it!" lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of dogs live by you?

You will be in great shape with the 9mm. Take it to the range as much as possible & you will be able to defend yourself just fine.

-Matt

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Welcome to the 9mm VS .45ACP debate... or AKA, "Mine is bigger than yours!" Argument.

Yes... a .45 is "bigger" and does have more stopping power...
BUT, a 9mm has a higher velocity than most any other caliber... even a .45.

If you're loaded with a good +P+ hollow point round, and are a decent shot...
you will absolutely stop (kill) almost anything smaller than a bear with it.

I carry a 9mm, and I am certain of it's protection ability.... PERIOD.

Tell the guys... at least in this matter...
"Size, is not always what matters... it's how you use it!" lol
+1

It is all in what you are comfortable with, and what you can get rounds on target with. For me that is a .45. If 9mm is what you are comfortable with then so be it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
We all hear the stories about the cop that shot the Pit Bull several times and it did not have much effect. Its all about bullet placement folks. Hit that pit between the eyes or in the heart and it will indeed stop.

Fear has a dramatic effect on accuracy. When you see a mouth full of teeth coming at you and start throwing bullets how many will hit their mark and how many will just cause flesh wounds.

When ole Grizz comes to dinner you better know what vital spots to shoot and keep your wits about you to be able to hit those spots, you won't get many shots off.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Remember the three "P"s.

Proper Projectile Placement.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ask all the Muzzies that have been killed, in the sand box, by the Beretta M9!!!
Oh, silly me, you can't because they are enjoying their 72 virgins!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, a friend of mine shot a stray dog with his Ruger P85 9mm, which is similar in size and caliber to the SR9. He's a pretty good shot and shot the aggressive animal in the area of his shoulder. The animal lived and continues to be a pest in the neighborhood. I think this is due mainly to poor shot placement. This doesn't stop me from making fun of his 9mm's effectiveness. LOL

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Remember it's more the warrior than the weapon when it comes to a fight. Sounds like someone wants to sell you a bigger gun or they don't know what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts