National Gun Forum banner

XD, Glock, or MP?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the main three Polymer handguns IMO.
The oldest, of course, being the Glock. Its been proven to be very effective, in numerous calibers and sizes, and extremely reliable. Then came along the Croation HS-2000, which was later bought out by Springfield Armory. Still Produced in Croatia today, the XD, as its now called, is so reliable, that is passed the Glock Torture Test, PLUS a battery of other tests, better then the Glock itself(even though it was marginally). These two guns are very similar, sans the grip angle and the lack of a traditional safety on the XD. These are probably the two biggest competitors in the gun market since the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870(which IMO are the two best 12 ga pumps ever produced). And Finally, we have the SW M&P series. New to the market, it is said to have a lower recoil than the other two, but still be just as reliable.
I do not have much experience with the M&P, but quite a bit with the Glock and XD. Both are great guns, I simply prefer the XD because the grip angle suits my hand more.
So, just as the poll states,
Which do you/would you prefer to own for yourself? And please post which size and which caliber, also.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
How true they are all good pistols. I would just get the one that felt the best in my hand as I don't think you could go wrong. If you don't reload the 9mm would be the cheapest to shoot. If you do reload it would make no difference which caliber you get. The .45 is hard to beat for self defense. Good luck. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I carry the XD-9 right now with Either HydroShocks or RBCD rounds.(RBCD for hog hunting as a sidearm, HydroShocks as a concealed carry round). Its a great gun, and I once put over 6k rounds through it with no cleaning. Hlaf that time, I was sitting on my waist, or in my four wheeler while out camping/hunting. GREAT guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I carry a Smith M&P 9mm in my truck.
Can't go wrong with 17 rounds of +P.
I have +P+ coming.
That's some serious stuff.
Up there with the .45 in my opinion.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I tried many guns before settling on the Glock 27--their subcompact .40

I could shoot it better than the others I tried.

Like Baldy said, whatever fits your hand is the best gun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the others in 9mm...great guns and Im very pleased with them, but I might be leaning toward the new XD .45 that actually has a manual thumb safety and it holds 13+1. Why did it take so long to start putting safeties on these guns? I bet all polymer gun makers will follow suit and every new polymer gun model will have a manual safety. Doesnt make sense to not have one. If some people dont like the safety, they can just leave it on "fire" all the time...but I bet they wont though ;)

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
There is an after market option for Glocks to have an external safety added.

I've considered it, but then again I have NEVER found my finger on any trigger on any gun inintentionally, so I think that I would only be opting for this safety out of wanting that soothing familiarity of having an external safety that my other guns have.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I choose Glock because I have owned 4-5 of them and never had a problem with any of them.
I have never owned a M&P or XD but Ive had a few other polymer guns and I like the Glock better than any of them. Ive put more rounds though my Glock than any other auto Ive ever owned and never had a failure of any kind with any ammo, not saying it cant happen just never has.I currently have a G26, Ive only put about 500 rounds trough it, used to have a G19 that I have no idea how many times that thing was fired but it never failed. Ive also had a G32,G23, and G23C.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I own an XD and an M&P, both great pistols, I voted for the XD only becauce I like the trigger a little better. Glock's grip angle just does'nt feel right to me, I know they're a great pistol tho.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Thats funny, at this point there are four votes for each choice. Dead heat! :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sig232 said:
Thats funny, at this point there are four votes for each choice. Dead heat! :eek:
they are ALL great guns!
what im trying to prove here is with these three guns, its a point of preference. most people on glocktalk bash the XD and vice versa.
all three are very equal in quality, features, and reliabilty. it just comes down to which one fits your hand!
and if your hand doesnt fit the xd, well we call want be in first now can we! :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had to choose a polymer gun, I think that I would go with the new XD's that have the manual safety along with everything else that the three offer. My ultimate choise for CC, home defense, and everything in between is still the 1911... you cant beat the accuracy, dependability... and there is something neat about a gun that almost seems to be designed for running out of bullets, and pistol whipping.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First off let me say that I own one of each and I consider all three a carry gun. I have never had a problem with my XD. I have had a FTF and FFE with my Glock and a third party guide rod spring but never stock. I have had a few problems with my M&P and certain name brands of ammo. All there are great guns but if the SHTF and I had no control what ammo I can get my hands on or if I need parts then I choose Glock. Over 20 years proven, will shoot anything put through it and parts widely available.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This has to be said every day but the springfield XD with the thumb safety was limited to the XD45 because it was made for the joint combat pistol tests. Thats means you can only get an XD with a thumb safety on the XD45 service model. I voted for the Xd because it is awesome. There arent any problems with them anymore and there are plenty of spare parts you can get online now.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I would choose Glocks since I know them well and know they are reliable. I have had kel-tecs but never the Smith or the XD. I sure do understand why the police in so many cities choose them for carry.

Given a choice I would always choose a steel 45 acp, but since that was not an option I choose Glock.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I originally posted this as a reply to an XD review and the subsequent replies of 'OMG! the XD is sooooo much better than the Glock rofl' I couldn't take it and had to put some things out there.
One thing the XD is superior to the Glock in is handle diameter and that's only for people with short fingers. Even that is in question now because of the introduction by Glock of the Model 21SF. That's it. Other reasons given to the XD's superiority are subjective to opinion and nothing else.
A few of the given 'reasons' XDs are better:

Price.

The Glock is about $80 more than the XD. I don't know many people who think $80 is something to worry about with something that protects your life. I just put $80.00 worth of gas in my truck this morning.

Machining quality/manufacture.

At the indoor range I shoot at they have XDs come back for warranty work (sometimes complete replacement due to inability to repair). Cracked frames, ftf, stovepiping, chambers needing to be honed. The list goes on and on.

Durability.

Like the aforementioned reason - it's false. Most people have this opinion based on only having a few thousand (if that) rounds through their XDs. At the range they are constantly having problems with their XD rentals (see previous reason problems) while Glocks usually run about 100,000 rounds through them before they cycle a new one into the mix. Those are 100,000 trouble free rounds. Consistently. Wait a few more years when all of these XDs get some real use.

Ergonomics.

XD likes to tout this one in their advertising as well saying that when you point it the sights line up rather than having you look at the top of the slide. Glock went with their 105 degree handle angle for a reason: they tested, tested and did some more testing and found that it provided the best firing results for accuracy and following shots. The XD's handle angle along with its high barrel axis to the hand provide much more muzzle flip than a Glock which in turn means less accurate double-taps and a less control.

Single action vs double action.

The Glock uses the double action for safety. It's one of the reasons it's called
Safe-Action. If the striker spring isn't cocked - it can't fire! Just like a down hammer. The XD has a cocked spring. You can count on replacing the striker spring many more times in an XD than a Glock because of this. You also better hope your firing pin block is in proper working order or you're at the mercy of the poorly designed sear of the XD which, by the way, will fire out of battery. Try pushing back on the slide sometime while pulling the trigger. The double action might not be as smooth, clean or as short a pull of the single action, but these are service pistols not target pistols.

The slide lock.

The slide lock on the Glock is designed to be tight against the frame and slide as to not be snagged on anything. They also wanted people to use two hands to release the slide because it's a more controlled manner than hitting the lock with your thumb. This isn't the movies! Release the slide the proper way. The slide lock on the XD also adds a decent amount to the overall width of the weapon - not very carry friendly.

Finish.

People, Tenifer is not the outside coating. Tenifer is the metal treatment of the slide and barrel itself. It is .005 mm thick and is close the the hardness of diamond. The treatment of the metal itself achieves a 99.9% salt water resistance. Tenifer is also illegal in this country because the EPA. XD does not have it. Don't regularly oil the slide on your XD and carry it in a cold climate for a while. The in/out condensation will rust your slide in no time.

Warranty.

Good thing Springfield has you covered here, you're going to need it.

Field stripping.

The Glock actually uses a faster process which uses less steps than the XD. Also, many people rotate the take-down lever then pull the slide lock down putting all forward inertia of the slide to come to a halt against the sear (it's the only thing keeping the slide from going forward at that point) and cause damage to the sear, striker and frame.

Loaded chamber indicator.

Glock has this as well.

Cocked indicator.

Glock has this as well. If the trigger is forward on a Glock, it's cocked. Also, how are you going to get a round into the chamber on either of these guns without it being cocked? It's not a Walther with a decocker.

Grip safety.

How is a gun going to go off without your hand on the handle? Your finger should never be inside the trigger guard unless you have the weapon acquired and intend to fire. Are we forgetting some basic firearm rules? The grip safety is null and void.

Customization.

If you can't find genuine Glock custom parts for your Glock at your local gun dealer, you need to find a new one. Glock holsters, parts and accessories are everywhere. Try to find a holster for your XD. It's much more difficult. Yes, it's newer and takes a while, but companies will be reluctant to make them because Springfield supplies you with one, albeit a horrible one with not one level of retention.

I felt the need to debunk these XD/Glock myths. The XD is not even close the being up to par with the Glock. The Glock is going on 20 years now and has changed the world of pistols - the XD won't make that sort of impact.
Bill T.

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
ok, well I quess Im the only one here who is into the taurespt140pro? J/k
But really what about Taures? I own and love my pt140pro, I think tho when it comes down to it, you put any gun and a pros hand he will shoot what needs to be shoot, but if you put that same gun in a idiots hand, well he will end up shooting himself..

·
Registered
213 Posts
The XD, Glock or M&P? thats easy!...............I like them all!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts