National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this gun and out of 250 rds I had 3 that did not strike at all. The bullet was in the chamber it just did not cause any dimple to the bullet. I reloaded the gun with the same bullet and no problem. I gave it to the gunsmith who works on the spot and after putting 50 rds through it he said it was probably the ammo. I don't remember the ammo but it was plinking ammo, nothing good. The gunsmith said they had some crushed boxes of the ammo and that it may be that. However the boxes were fine.
I was then told by a friend that after loading your magazine you should tap it so the backs of the bullets set against the back of the magazine.
All I know is if a bullet is in the chamber and it can fire it should. Sounds like all the rest is BS to me.
Am I wrong. The gun has a lifetime warrenty with were I bought it.

The incident only happened upon the first load of the magazine never midmagazine.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
I had one bullet not fire in my XD.40 cal. I pulled it out and the primer had an OBVIOUS dent in it (much like fired brass does). I put it back in and tried again and it fired fine, so I figured it was just a freak primer incident. Hopefully it was.

Oh, and this was the last bullet in the mag.

Lastly, I have noticed that sometimes the bullets tend to slide a bit forward in those mags after loading, so maybe, just maybe your friend is onto something with the tapping the magazine to make sure the bullets seat at the back, but I don't really know.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
yeah i always tap my mags...my dad always does and i never knew why but i just started doing it after a while and now i know why! so thanks!

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
You shouldn't have to tap the mags to get your gun to function. It sounds like the ammo might have had a slightly recessed primer or did not go fully into battery. Whatever is the case, I would shoot it with some quality stuff and make sure it wasn't the gun before I trusted it or sent it back for repair.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Taping your mag is a good idea. It helps seat the rounds. I'm sure by now you have got the bugs out of your XD. It helps to totally disassemble your pistol & give every part a good cleaning every once in a while. I don't count rounds in any of mine anymore, unless they are new. (this helps me learn what they like, how much they are wearing & where) I usually do a complete tear down & clean every 2000 or so rounds for my XD's & other semi autos. I do the 1911's after 500 or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts