National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the other threads here got me back on my soapbox of gun-control legislation. I decided to go ahead and post a letter that I sent my "representative" a few months ago.

If anyone here wishes to use it in any form to send a letter to their own representative, then by all means, with the exception of the biographically specific information feel free to use any of it, some of it, all of it, or none of it. The important thing is that you contact your representatives, and let them know your views, and that you care enough to take the time to write.

Dear Congressman Moran,

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

These were the words which began your career as the elected representative of your constituents. Any representative who proposes legislation in direct contradiction of the Constitution is, to be polite, simply not doing their job.

Suppose one of your colleagues introduced a bill to ban a specific religion from practice in the United States, or proposed registration of, and a $200.00 tax stamp be affixed to every copy of the Bible. Would you take a stand? Of course you would. You swore an oath to do just that.

The framers of the Constitution knew full well the power a government can wield against their citizens, or “subjects”. They had just fought, and many died because of it. As such, they built in a safeguard to insure that it would not happen again.

This safeguard is the Second Amendment.

They were not referring to the military, or the police. They were referring to the citizen, willing to take up arms to repel foreign invaders and able to take up arms to keep their own government accountable. The argument that the framers of the Constitution had no concept of modern weapons is irrelevant, most likely incorrect, and most probably arrogant. These were men of vision.

Unlawful acts, by irresponsible people have caused some legislators to act in ways that are also unlawful and irresponsible. Legislation that contradicts the Constitution is inherently unlawful. It would perhaps be more understandable, if it had any relevance. An example would be the Brady bill. I have read it, and could not find any mention of a .22 revolver being listed as an assault weapon. Sarah Brady realized that a ban on revolvers would never pass muster, so she and her cohorts chose to take the long and winding road towards the ultimate goal of a total ban on civilian firearm possession by starting with guns that look “scary”. Being understandable still would not make it lawful.

I realize that there are numerous people advocating gun control, or complete banning of firearms owned by private citizens. I would offer a simple suggestion. The Constitution guarantees that there will be NO infringement of this right upon the citizens of the United States. If they don’t like the rules, find another field to play on.

Politicians should be spending their efforts to remove the restrictive controls placed on firearm ownership. The disarming of the law abiding citizens have made us as a nation more vulnerable. Vulnerable to the criminals that roam our streets, knowing that their law-abiding prey has been stripped of its ability to defend itself, and vulnerable to our enemies who have slipped into our borders, and used our freedoms of travel to turn aircraft into missiles, and attack our citizens.

I am respectfully asking you, as the peoples representative, to look at both proposed, and existing legislation regarding firearm ownership, and ask yourself “Is this unconstitutional?”. If the answer is yes, then implement steps to correct it. Major pieces of legislation to start with would be the National Firearms Act of 1934, the Gun Control Act of 1968, and the Hughes Amendment of the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986.

I am including some brief biographical information for the purpose of helping you understand my motivation for writing. I am a 46 year old, lifelong resident of Virginia. For the past 23 years I have served as a Deputy Sheriff in an agency of over 200 sworn, and roughly 60 civilian staff. For the last 12 years, I have served as Shift Commander. As a result of the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 2004, my ability to carry a firearm has been insured. I currently own two fully automatic weapons, registered by the BATFE, and Virginia State Police. My purpose for writing is not to be able to obtain anything which I do not already have. It is return those rights to those that have been stripped of them.

H.R. 10-22, also known as the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Officer Protection Act is a bill that you are currently co-sponsoring. I can tell you firsthand, that I, as a career law enforcement officer do not fear criminals armed with assault weapons.

What I do fear are politicians who act in contradiction to the oath they swore upon.

Thank you for your time,

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Wow! One fantastic letter and words backed up by a lifetime career as an LEO. I only hope that letter gets through the chain of filters that view the mail and up to the Congress member you intended.

I worry that many of the worker bees in their offices are law school grads or students that have been indoctrinated in the school of those who oppose guns. Most in that field fear an armed population since they are the ones the population would be going after first in the event of a insurrection among the sheep. The majority of the members of Congress and our state legislatures tend to be lawyers today. Many of whom enjoy the challenge of finding a way to twist the bill of rights or language of the constitution to make it appear to have a meaning opposite of its original intent.

You letter is one that needs to be read to the full House of Representatives and Senate and every legislature of all the states. How to get that done is a big mystery today. You would have to find a member sympathetic to your cause and get him/her to take it to the floor. But then the liberals would all get up and walk out, for you letter is a big block to the progress of their personal agenda for America.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Bravo, dcinffxva !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words.

Sig,
I doubt he will ever actually see it for all the reasons you listed, but I figure it's better than doing and saying nothing. Not giving a contradictory view is the same as agreeing with him in my book.

My congressman is one of the worst, and by far the worst Virginia has had in a long time. At least he knows of one vote he won't be getting (not that he ever has gotten one from me).

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
dcinffxva said:
Thanks for the kind words.

Sig,
I doubt he will ever actually see it for all the reasons you listed, but I figure it's better than doing and saying nothing. Not giving a contradictory view is the same as agreeing with him in my book.

My congressman is one of the worst, and by far the worst Virginia has had in a long time. At least he knows of one vote he won't be getting (not that he ever has gotten one from me).
I agree with you completely! I do the same knowing that the folks that represent Oregon will probably toss my letter or faxes in the river. But I will keep up the barrage of faxes to my Senators and Representatives re: gun control and immigration. I just sent off three faxes through numbers USA about three hours ago.

Hey, from now on I am having you write my gun control letters. Best I have seen yet! I sent your letter on to several friends and posted it on other forums and others are taking up the cause and sending parts of your letter as their own. Pretty soon all members in Congress will think its a form letter from GOA or NRA!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad others are out there being vocal as well. I send letters to journalists as well, especially when I see them make glaring mistakes, such as "a fully-automatic rifle, that fires as fast as you can pull the trigger".

I think so many people are just basing their entire belief system on what they are being selectively spoon-fed by politicians and journalists. If people would base their judgements on their own experiences, we would all be better off. That's not just with firearms, but with life in general.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts