National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To much for me but some are sweet. Including a 7.62x54R 3000.00 Zastava Sniper rifle.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,914 Posts
Yep, a couple there I wouldn’t mind putting in the safe.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He still has that old Winchester 60. I think im gonna grab it tomorrow,

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The picture of the Colt M-4 Carbine does not look like an SBR.

Reactions: RMLamp

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
i have book marked their site.......believe it or not the one i like is that old winchester model 60 single shot...load one round then manual cock the bolt....it brings back memories.....

...probably won't buy it....but it does get my attention.....if i was in a shop and could get hands-on instead of pics.....this would probably go home with me.

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i like the 60 too. Been kicking getting it around. Think im going to go for it,

·
Registered
719 Posts
Papaw taught me to shoot with one of those model 60s. But it is a youth model, with finger grooves. I still have it. It still shoots dimes at 25 yards.
It's one of my forever guns.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it for 150.00. No bluing on it. But the rear sight. When i got it home. I looked in the bore. Could not see my bore light. I thought oh no there is a squib. Ran a rod though. Cobwebs came out. Looked again rifling is good. I couldn't see any rust inside. Ran a brush though then a dry patch no rust on it. Wood is in great shape. Only thing im going to do is steel wool it some. And put some tru oil on it. Going to shoot it 1st though. If it shoots good i'll work on the steel.

Reactions: deputy

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It fires. Tried a 22 short. Shot into a block of wood in the backyard.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Be VERY careful with the barrel. Never figured out why. Mine was rusted on the outside, you can see the pitting. Papaw kept it in a shed outside on the Gulf coast. Had no choice but strip it. It never took a blue. Tried everything. Even called the Colorado School of Gun Smithing about 1976 or so. They had no idea. Finally put some Gun Coat on it.
Everything me and the local smith tried would come out looking fabulous. And wipe off with a cotton ball. Unless it is some strange alloy, I still have no idea why.
I love the rifle though. Congrats. Hope you enjoy it. They are good rifles.

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had some surface rust on it. Copper wool i removed it with for now. Some slight pitting. Sanding will remove it. I put some Burchwood casey barricade on it for now. If it don't take to bluing. I'll go for the Gun coat. 👍

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it safe to shoot 1200-1250 fps ammo in the Winchester 60? They were made in the early 30's. I don't have any lower velocity stuff. Except for a few shorts.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
my understanding is "standard velocity" equates to using a 40 gr bullet......
higher velocity means using 38 gr or lighter weight bullet to achieve that high velocity.....not necessarily more powder or pressure......but that is my guess.....

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool i have 40 grain. Federal auto match, They are 1200 FPS. And thunder bolts. There around 1250.

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran a few dozen of the 1200 fps. Shoots well. I hit some cans. Hard to see the front sight even with glasses. I'll have to do my Florescent orange nail polish trick after i redo the barrel. I had to manually extract the casings. It was easy just flick em out with my finger nail. I'll have to investigate the extractor. It pulls them back from the chamber at least.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Is it safe to shoot 1200-1250 fps ammo in the Winchester 60? They were made in the early 30's. I don't have any lower velocity stuff. Except for a few shorts.
I do. It shoots just fine in mine.
Check the chamber and make sure it's smooth. Might polish it slightly.
The extractor on those tend to round off a little if they are well used. If you have a very smooth square stone you might need to dress it a little.
Sometimes I find a diamond emory board for finger nails works pretty good for stuff like that. Only a dollar or two. Don't take much to make a difference. Mostly just square it off a little.

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome thanks for the tips, 👍

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the steel blued. Waiting for the stock to dry. Then ill put it back together. And post up a pic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts