National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live on 200 acres. This 200 acres is surrounded by thousands of acres of BLM land. There is only a neighbor/road in one direction and that neighbor is about a half-mile away and a dense forest is between them and myself, so I am not concerned about over-penetration. For defense inside my home I have a 12 gauge and a handgun, so I am already set there. I have an AR-10 with a 16 inch barrel chambered in .308 that I want to use for my property defense from people (in case someone breaks in and is destroying my property). I know that hunting rounds are designed to expand while having more penetration and hollow points are designed to dispense all of their energy almost immediately into the target which sacrifices penetration ability. I am not concerned with the legality of property defense because I am not some blood-thirsty person who shoots people simply because they are there. Shooting someone is always a last-resort. Also, where I live (in Idaho) the Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws include property, not just house. I was wondering if hunting rounds (like Remington Core-Lokt) or if simple hollow points (Like Hornady TAP or Hornady Critical Defense) would work better for this purpose against a person?

Registered
I think any would work, but I believe the hunting rounds probably have more penetration at longer distances than the defense rounds. A lot depends on how far out you plan on engaging.
Sounds like you are in a pretty safe location to begin with so good for you.

Registered
It's hard to take your question seriously. If you do end up shooting anyone by the way a good prosecutor/lawyer is going to look up everything you ever said (or wrote) about shooting anything or anyone through independent research or discovery motions.

Do you live in north Idaho?

Reactions: gvaldeg1

Premium Member
Check your state laws on lawful shootings. I live in NJ and I can鈥檛 shoot anyone unless my life or someone else鈥檚 life is in grave danger. I can鈥檛 shoot a robber, a trespasser or a vandal. I鈥檇 be up on murder charges before the cops get there. If you shoot someone for breaking into your shed, is it a justified shooting? If you shoot them without just cause it won鈥檛 matter what you shot them with. If they survive your shooting, they鈥檒l sue you for every thing you have. If you kill someone who breaks into your house at 2am, who has a gun pointed at you, you will still face charges till the courts decide you were in the right.

Registered
Ask the animals that get shot with hunting rounds of they work......

Reactions: Coalcracker

Super Moderator
What you're really asking is if a hunting round will kill a person. The answer to that question is "Yes."

That you're asking it may indicate that you haven't really thought this through. If you're shooting at someone far enough away that you need a hunting round, it better be because they're already shooting a hunting round at you.

--Wag--

Keep calm & return fire!
Pretty simple really...
Regardless of the situation, If a person is so far away from you that you need to shoot them with a hunting round ...you are going to jail for murder/attempted murder.
You're geographical location, stand your ground or castle doctrine laws are 1000% irrelevant. You're going to jail.

Registered
SB1313, passed by the Idaho legislature in 2018 and made law extends the Castle and Stand Your Ground Doctrines to the entirety of a person's property, the entirety of their business premises, and their vehicle. The OP stated this quite clearly and is not mistaken. It is different than in many states where Castle Doctrine applies only to one's home itself.

Any bullet and firearm that you would use to kill deer would be effective at similar ranges on non-armored personnel. An Ar10 in 308 shooting 150 grs Core-Lokts would be effective in that role. As to armored personnel, I cannot say.

"Stand Your Ground" law takes effect July 1

Idaho House passes 鈥榮tand your ground鈥 law, 57-12

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.