National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my shield 9mm 2.0 and have a chance to get a shield 40 like new in the box with everything for a reasonable deal. I’m afraid they’ll be too similar. Are they pretty much the same or will I definitely tell a difference in shooting the 40 cal?

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
The .40 will have noticeably more snap in the recoil. There is not enough difference in terminal ballistics to matter.
That being said, if you want it, get it. Need has nothing to do with getting a new pistol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
The 40 is more powerful then the 9, yes. Recoil is subjective to everyone though you will see a difference, you're shooting a bigger caliber. Practice is the key with pretty much everything. I find the Shield 2.0 in 40SW to be a good shooter.

Reactions: One1

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
you will notice a difference in recoil........slight to moderate depending on your standards......not mine.

if you just want a 40 then sure....a same model gun that will share the same leather is nice.....and a different caliber in case the 9mm disappears from shelves for a while like it did for a bit under obama.....the 40 was more readily available.

with wally-world getting out of the ammo business, supply and demand will be effected more quickly at the local brick and mortar retail sources.........shelves will empty faster under the next buying/hording panic.....

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wanting to hold out for a full size M&P 45 or a shield 45, but a deal is a deal. I’m also not sold on having a shield 45. That’s a lotta snap in that little frame. I may hate it. I figure if there’s enough difference in the guns and how they shoot I’ll get it because I pretty much want all the M&P stuff out there and will have it eventually so in terms of priority it’s a matter of getting something different enough to feel like i have a new gun and experience. Since i am not so certain on the shield 45 being enjoyable to shoot this 40 may be as big as i go in the shield line.

·
Aim true !
10,285 Posts
If you go 45 i suggest a 1911. I have one 45 with a polymer frame. Its a Ruger P345. I don't shoot it as much as i do my 1911's. The 40sw is a fun round to shoot. I have handguns in 22lr 22mag 380. 9mm, 10mm, 38 spec, 357 magnum. 40sw, 44 magnum. 45 acp and 45 colt. And i enjoy shooting them all.

·
Registered
369 Posts
.40 s&w sends a slightly bigger bullet down range at about the same (maybe slightly slower) speed compared to 9mm. How much any of this actually matters depends who you ask. That said, if what you really want is a full-size .45, then a subcompact .40 would make for a poor substitute, IMO.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,278 Posts
Worth getting a 40 if I already have a 9??

Yes. If you can master shooting a .40S&W accurately, then shooting a 9mm or .45ACP will be easy-pleasy.

·
Registered
734 Posts
OTOH, since the FBI dumped the 40, great deals on 40s have been popping up all over the place. What was once over-rated is now under valued.

But firearms isn't a matter of should or shouldn't, for the most part. It's about having a safe and enjoyable firearms experience. If you want that 40, now is a good time to buy.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
OTOH, since the FBI dumped the 40, great deals on 40s have been popping up all over the place. What was once over-rated is now under valued.

But firearms isn't a matter of should or shouldn't, for the most part. It's about having a safe and enjoyable firearms experience. If you want that 40, now is a good time to buy.
Yup^^^......Police buy backs are cheeeeep in 40S&W.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this is 375 bucks you can probably find it for 320 and I’m getting it for 239 so I guess I’m gonna go get it real quick it’s a good bargain either way

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
That is a good price. I would buy it too for that price.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Get the >40 for 239 and then a 9mm after market barrel. I have no need or use for a .40. If I want more power than a 9mm, I'd opt for a .45 or maybe a 10mm.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Personally if I wanted something more powerful than a 9, I would go .45.
But if getting it just for a good deal, go for it
At that price if you don’t like it you can always get your money back

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,933 Posts

·
Jesus Saves
7,841 Posts
Found a full size M&P 45 for $290 minutes before grabbing the 40 so i picked it up instead.
Let us know how you like it.

I have never handled a 40 but many of my friends have and they do not like the recoil. Many have said the recoil of the 40 is "snappy, sharp" but the recoil of the 45 is actually different, easier to handle.

As it has been said, recoil is subjective...perceived. I never thought the LCR 357 (with 357 ammo) was too bad, others thought I was crazy. Wish I still had that little cannon.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had been hearing the same and growing weary of the 40. I liken it to an analogy of a small light Japanese car with a lot of power that doesn’t ride very well VERSUS a big powerful Cadillac that glides over bumps. I think the delivery of the power in a full size 45 will be smooth and strong, but not annoying. Several videos i watched showed women shooting the 40 and saying it hurt their hand, but the 45 was just powerful - not painful. Between now and Sunday we will find out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts