National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,668 Posts
" A crease formed, which eventually was large enough to extend beyond the trigger. Manipulate the gun in just the wrong manner............"

Somewhere in all this, and after examining the photo, it appears the word "I" has been omitted from the narrative. Creases don't form by themselves, especially finger sized and shaped "creases". It's also an older article, though relevant.

·
Banned
130 Posts
" A crease formed, which eventually was large enough to extend beyond the trigger. Manipulate the gun in just the wrong manner............"

Somewhere in all this, and after examining the photo, it appears the word "I" has been omitted from the narrative. Creases don't form by themselves, especially finger sized and shaped "creases". It's also an older article, though relevant.
+1

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,019 Posts

I believe Steve is onto something.

I own several, and have seen hundreds (thousands?), of leather Galco holsters. Many of them were old and many of them were this model. Several were 'broken down' and unsafe to use. That is the first one I've seen with that particular 'wear pattern'.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm also convinced that something was applied to the leather to soften it up and make it pliable some sort of oil or grease solution maybe. Holster leather should remain stiff and be a minimum 5-6 oz vegetable tanned leather.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,368 Posts
Somethin' ain't right about the article the OP posted. The damage to the gun owner and vehicle happened on the right side of the gun owner, yet the holster is left handed. Cross draw maybe???

Reactions: Win94ae

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!! I didn't notice the left-hand holster with right-side damage when I posted that. I just pulled it off my FB feed. That hole in his thigh doesn't look faked, though.

As far as the leather creasing, the only thing I can think of is somehow scrunching the right and left sides together repeatedly - some kind of habitual wear pattern. But to not notice???

·
Registered
540 Posts

No, no, no. It's just written in accordance with the NYT Ed Board style guide, as in "Some planes flew into the Twin Towers" or "Guns cause xx,xxx deaths every year"...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I call that a crappy holster All every one of my holsters enclose the pistol from trigger guard to barrel. maybe open at barrel muzzle , MUST COVER FULLY. 2) Crappy Operator Maintenance the holster is every bit as important as the gun`s maintenance I do not think anyone would carry a Gun that was in that poor of condition. Negligent Discharge well ok ignorant of holster condition yes Negligent of Maintenance yes.

·
Jesus Saves
7,850 Posts
Cross draw maybe???
That would appear to be quite a large cross draw. It also appears that the angle of the discharge would not support a cross draw, IMO. I guess it could happen, but I would think the angle of the discharge would be from front to back, not back to front.

Regardless, it is certainly something to consider.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Apologies if this is a repeat. It just showed up in my feed, even though it's years old. An old and faithful - but worn - leather holsters fires the gun as he sits in the car.

https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

"See, honey?? That's why I needed a new holster for Christmas!"
The HOLSTER didn't do anything. The HUMAN jammed his pistol blindly into that holster that should NEVER have been used for a Glock, causing the overly flexible, thin leather material to be twisted into the trigger guard far enough to defeat the trigger safety. Naturally, when "Joe Ham Fist" did this, the Glock did EXACTLY what it was built to do - it FIRED! Actually, Joe Ham Fist fired the pistol.

This is why the FIRST rule is to NEVER do a blind re-holster (if possible). The SECOND rule is NEVER do a blind re-holster while seated in a confined space! The THIRD rule is "RESPECT THE TRIGGER"....which is the opposite of "Familiarity breeds contempt" as in, "I've been handling Glocks for centuries and I know what I'm doing - BLAM!"

When seated in a car and you've pulled your handgun...it stays out until you can SEE a clear pathway back into the holster (if possible).

"Glock leg" wasn't invented by Glocks. It was invented by HUMANS who fail to respect the trigger!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts