National Gun Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I didn't see the shot so I go with the reputation. The nay sayers are caught up the in the long distance.
Well the current myth is that the .45/70 Government is a close range short distance only brush gun. The 1879 Sandy Hook test by Springfield Arsenal dispel that myth. Using black powder a shooter testing the .45/70 500 hit the 6' bullseye. The recorded distance was 3,500 yards. The time lapse was 22.2 seconds. The bullets went through the 1" boards and 8" into the sandy berm.
So 1,000 yards shot fired by an accomplished pistol marksman? I can live with it. Even if it was done with a 9mm.:lol:

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
What no one knows is how many practice shots did he take prior to get the feel for the holdover
Every shot he has fired since he first picked a gun was a practice shot for this, and many other marksmanship feats. Every shot we all fire is a reflection on the amount of practice we put into our shooting.
I am sure he did not put the first round fired, that day, into that target breaking the balloon.

·
Banned
7 Posts
What type of accurizing work was done on the gun? I'm assuming it's not an "out of the box" 929.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts