National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
love the UK envy the US
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that synthetic is supposed to be better than wood as it wont warp or get so stressed but damn there is something nice about a good wooden stock on a rifle what do you think

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
It depends on what you plan to fo woth the gun. For hunting, I prefer synthetic stocks for their durability and warp resistance with temp changes.

Nothing beats a gun with beautiful wood. But I would hate to scratch one up in the field.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
I only have one rifle with a wood stock. That would be a Remington model 511 in 22lr. I have a Remington 700 BDL varmint in 22-250 and it's a laminated stock with a nice looking wood grain though.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Personally, I think some guns look better with wood stocks, and some look better with synthetic. AR-15 for example would just not look right with wood, but I love it on an AK-47!

G

·
There are 2 reasons to go with a synthetic.

1. It's cheaper

2. It's a more stable and weatherproof platform for an action.

I should note that the cheaper synthetics are not more stable. They are stable enough for the average deer hunter.

The cheaper synthetics can be stabilized to some degree. If you have avarage home shop skills you can stiffen the fore arm and bed the action.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I've seen some pretty nice looking wood stocks that I wouldn't even consider taking it outdoors due to the fact it's so nice looking. However, wood stocks are more of just a cosmetic thing rather than a durable thing like synthetic stocks give you. So in the long run, synthetics are the way to go if you want durability.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
A few dings in a wood stock that is used for hunting are just beauty marks. Shows that the rifle was used for what it was ment for. I like wood all the way except on battle rifles. :4:

G

·
Here is the trade off

Wood heavy, good for recoil reduction

Plastic, lighter, good for carry weight.

figure out which you want.

Ive buildem both ways. I have a client who wanted an M1 Garand that was light. Its 8 pounds and stings when you fire it.

He also wanted his bolt gun to take the nastest rounds he could make. It has a liminate two wood target stock, and varmant stock, It also wieghs 8lbs.
Its shoots like butter, with round that would blow up the M1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts