National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard alot of controversity on the Wolf Ammo. A lot of people say that it harms your weapon and somtimes wont even feed. Is this true? Should I actually stop using cheap ammo?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
paraordn said:
I have heard alot of controversity on the Wolf Ammo. A lot of people say that it harms your weapon and somtimes wont even feed. Is this true? Should I actually stop using cheap ammo?
I have fired thousands of Wolf rounds through one of my AK's without a single problem. Now I should say that I believe Wolf used to put a laquer on thier cases, which runs very dirty. And I believe they quit using that process in the newer ammo. Anyhow, I've only tried Wolf in 7.62x39, so I don't have anything to say about other calibers. I believe my AK is very forgiving as far as what ammo it likes, so I don't notice any problems with Wolf.
Now when I use premium ammo, there is a pretty big accuracy jump above Wolf.
I'll keep using it for practice.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used wolf before but I haven't used the other cheapy ammo. How does that hold up?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used Wolf in 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm, and some pistols. It works fine. It's a little dirty, but it's basically just blasting ammo. You read on the Errornet about broken extractors, but I've shot a lot of Wolf (especially 5.56) and have had zero issues in DPMS and Stag M4geries. Ditto 7.62x39 in SKS and AKs. Also never broke extractors on Glock 9mms and 1911s.

I wouldn't expect match-grade accuracy, but for fun shooting it's fine.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use it all the time. I say its fine. Most people agree its good ammo. It might be the Gun Store owners trying to get more cash out of you. ;)

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo.. I've never had a failure.. I always have five or six bricks around.. and when I looking for different caliber ammo I look for Wolf first. I shoot Wolf 22 match target in my 22 bench gun.. its is head and shoulders above CCI and Remington.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
it goes bang.

i generally avoid steel case ammo mostly because i am a reloader. Also do not care for those berdan primers.

i have had no problem running it thru com-block guns like the SKS or the PM makarov.

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
I've used it in my SKS for a lot of years (20 or so) and never had any issues with it.

--Wag--

·
It's Just My 2¢
5,118 Posts
How can you tell if it is lacquer coated?
Is the stuff in the spam cans coated?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,574 Posts
Bear in mind, mild steel cases were/are designed for use in chrome lined chambers.

Lacquer coating has a slick, glassy look.

Most mild steel cased Wolf ammunition cases sold today are powder coated.

·
54,574 Posts
All of my wolf ammo is brass and is lubricated. .not lacquered
Wolf Brass, as opposed to the majority of ammunition sold by Wolf.

·
Jesus Saves
7,997 Posts
Cannot believe this original post is 7 years old!

I hate the Wolf WPA Military Grade 9mm....cannot speak for any other Wolf product - it is garbage. I still have 5 or 6 boxes I will not use. I tried it in more than one gun with the same results......jams, stuck in magazines, FTF and FTE.

I wonder if I wiped them down with some kind of lube? Any thoughts?

·
54,574 Posts
Cannot believe this original post is 7 years old!

I hate the Wolf WPA Military Grade 9mm....cannot speak for any other Wolf product - it is garbage. I still have 5 or 6 boxes I will not use. I tried it in more than one gun with the same results......jams, stuck in magazines, FTF and FTE.

I wonder if I wiped them down with some kind of lube? Any thoughts?
Lube will not help.

IF you can find a pistol chambered in 9x19mm that has a chrome lined chamber you should be good to go. Or, find a revolver chambered in 9x19mm.

Sometimes older Ruger pistols, due to an oversized chamber, will eat this ammunition without problems.

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Wolf works in my WASR10 AK47, and Wolf handgun ammo functions fine in all of my automatic pistols. Wolf doesn't function in my Yugo 59/66 SKS for some reason (hard primers?) but other inexpensive ammo does - Golden Tiger and Silver Bear work great (softer primers?). Silver Bear also works well, with better than expected accuracy, in my Saiga .223 carbine. Lately, I just buy oodles of Silver Bear for everything. Rifle calibers can still be found now and then for under a quarter a round, and most important, the bright shiny cases are cool and I'm easily distracted by them.

·
54,574 Posts
Picnic?

What kind of picnics do you attend?

Reactions: budroe

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I've used it in a Makarov, SKSs and several AKs with no problems. I haven't used it in my ARs, but have several buddies who do. If it were the only ammo I had, I'd use it.

·
Rifleman1776
242 Posts
I use it and/or Tula in my carry .380 for practice. American brand name ammo is just too expensive and hard to find for practice. It shoots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts