National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a model 1886 WCF 40-82 that's manufactured date is January 20, 1885.. I have attempted to gain insight on the potential value from multiple gun dealers and collectors that have similar guns, and even had them appraised, but never received credible information and most was quiet frankly, BS, lol. I will be uploading photos of it. The serial number is 113534. It is in decent condition with no major conditions but just what i call "patina"

· Registered
8,214 Posts
Whoopie !! I found another cannon ball shooter. According to the Winchester chart your rifle was made in 1897. I am in the last stages of rescuing a '86 .40/82. This is not a task for those that are faint of heart. Expensive. But on the up side they go up in value every time I look. Check out the sellers on Guns International. The big retailers list on that site. They can't go crazy with prices because the management wants the stuff sold. That makes for a much better value barometer. The only appraisal that means anything is done, hands on, by a firearms appraiser like Popeye. Maybe he can guide you to someone in your region.
Please post the pictures.

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,903 Posts
For some reason, your picture didn't come through for me.

If the barrel is 26" long its a rifle and values fall between $1000 and $8000 depending on condition.

If the barrel is 22" long its a carbine and values fall between $2000 and $18,000 depending on condition.

If the barrel is 30" long its a musket and its value is out of this world (only 350 were made). I believe all were chambered in .45/70 Gvt.

If it has 'special order' features (checkered pistol grip, deluxe grade walnut, etc.) values fall between $4000 and astronomical depending on condition and features.

Neither I nor anyone else can give an accurate appraisal based on photos. It takes a hands on examination. A written appraisal by someone who knows what they are doing often takes days to complete, involves the use of a magnifying glass and extensive research. This does not come cheap.

Check to see if the Rock Island Auction folks are going to be in your general area any time soon. They are capable of a 'quick and dirty' (although accurate within parameters) appraisal. Be aware, they will try to sell it for you in one of their auctions. The rarer it is the harder they will try.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoopie !! I found another cannon ball shooter. According to the Winchester chart your rifle was made in 1897. I am in the last stages of rescuing a '86 .40/82. This is not a task for those that are faint of heart. Expensive. But on the up side they go up in value every time I look. Check out the sellers on Guns International. The big retailers list on that site. They can't go crazy with prices because the management wants the stuff sold. That makes for a much better value barometer. The only appraisal that means anything is done, hands on, by a firearms appraiser like Popeye. Maybe he can guide you to someone in your region.
Please post the pictures.

Thank you very much! Turns out it is 22 inches. So I suppose it is a carbine.

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,903 Posts
Yup. That's a carbine and it looks to be all there..

Color case hardening is gone.

Wood shows extensive use.

Surface rust is evident on metal forward of the handguard.

Judging solely by two photos, I'd say it falls into the lower 15% of value rating.

Depending on the auction and the bidders... $5000 or less.

The last two lines while not qualifying as a Wild Assed Guess are a guess nonetheless.

· Super Moderator
16,638 Posts
I love those old Winchesters. The 86 was a hoss. Like the 71, it was going to make a man out of you carrying one of them around.

Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.