National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Aim true !
Discussion Starter #1
I was organizing my shotgun ammo. And the box i bought for rabbits 6 shot. Is steel shot. Will it gouge my barrel? My hunting 12 ga is an old timer. Remington 31 modified choke from the 40's. If it wont be good for the remmy. Would it be ok to shoot them in my Stevens 320 open choke? I won't use the 320 hunting. But would shoot them up for play.

Registered
I was organizing my shotgun ammo. And the box i bought for rabbits 6 shot. Is steel shot. Will it gouge my barrel? My hunting 12 ga is an old timer. Remington 31 modified choke from the 40's. If it wont be good for the remmy. Would it be ok to shoot them in my Stevens 320 open choke? I won't use the 320 hunting. But would shoot them up for play.
I have heard "Experts" come down on both sides of this question. For my two cents I will say I don't use steel in anything I shoot. I have about 30 old, some over 100 years old, LC, Ithaca, Browning, Winchester shotguns. But then again I don't hunt on public waterways either. If you are not required by law to use the steel...... 馃

Registered
If the shotgun isn't rated for steel shot there's still the possibility of damaging the forcing cone. On some older shotguns there's no forcing cone but a rather abrupt edge at the end of the chamber, steel shot will chew that up as well. I wouldn't put steel shot through either gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts