National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm collecting the Winchester 94 big bores and I need a full list of all of the calibers, I have a .307, a .356, a .375, and a .444, but I want to know if there are others.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Why would you collect something you obviously no nothing about? Whats the attraction?
Anyway, most of the big bores didnt make it like the 375, but the 307 was a keeper, it was basicly a 308 with a flatnose bullet you could load in a tubular magazine, it was actually a great flat shooting round and probably the most sought after of all the Mod 94's.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about them I have a .307, a .356, a .375, and a .444 I want to know if there are any others

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
In the last hundred years or so the 94 was made in just about every caliber and cartridge. I am a collector of lever guns myself so I don't really understand your question. Really powerful loads are not appropriate fodder for an antique, and older black powder cartridges are really appropriate for older model Winchesters. The Model 94 is THE 30-30 rifle. I have one in .45 LC as well as .30-30. and Models 73 in .44 WCF (44-40) and a Model 76 a model 86 in pistol chamberings as well.

For me the more modern, heavier cartridges are for more modern weapons, and Winchester has turned out modern updated examples of the Model 94 in an awful lot of them, right until they shut down the line. I own some of them, but they are not part of my collection of antique and replica lever guns. Like .375 Winchester, .444 Marlin, and even .450 Marlin might be added to your list. Of course .44 Magnum, but these are anomalous chamberings for a Winchester 94 collection IMHO. The pretty rare Model 1895 is where you might find some age-appropriate heavier stuff. I've got one in .405, but I have never fired it.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,127 Posts
Beginning in 1983 Winchester produced a series of '94 Winchester carbines called "Big Bore". These carbines had an angled ejection port providing for scope mounting. The stock was a checkered, Monte Carlo, walnut stock with a recoil pad. They had a 20" barrel and a 6 shot magazine.

These carbines were chambered in;
.307 Winchester (discontinued in 1998)
.356 Winchester (discontinued in 1998)
.375 Winchester (discontinued in 1998)
.444 Winchester (new in 1998)

Until 1989 these carbines were in top eject and had an "XTR" suffix.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I'm collecting the Winchester 94 big bores and I need a full list of all of the calibers, I have a .307, a .356, a .375, and a .444, but I want to know if there are others.
I know they made a 44 mag, but I don't know if you're categorizing that as a big bore or just a pistol round chambred for a rifle. I can't swear to it, but I think they had a 94 lever chambered in 405 Winchester, and also the 45.70 at one time, but I'm not sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts