National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Winchester model 62A last week and took it shooting. Being a takedown, both the receiver and stock halves match serial number wise, being 854XXX. The barrel reads that it supposedly can fire .22S, .22L and .22LR. However, when I loaded the tubular magazine up with .22 Shorts initially, and pumped the slide, it went click. Same with the .22 Longs, but the .22 Long Rilfe cartridges chambered, fired and ejected flawlessly.

I tinkered around and found that if I load one .22 Short or Long cartridge in the tubular magazine, and pump it, she'll fire. But anything more than one round it will not chamber. When I attempted this, and safely removed the cartridges from the magazine tube, one round's casing was a little dented. Its not that big a deal, .22LR is more readily available anyway, but still I would like to know why this is happening and how I can fix it. I checked out Numrich Gun Parts and they have a fair amount of parts I could buy.
If anyone knows or has a good idea what is causing my Winchester to do this, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
When you say it won't chamber do you mean it's not picking the round up at all or is it picking up the round and jamming in the action? If it's picking it up and jamming(especially if the round it pointed upwards) try working the pump a little faster. Some pumps and most lever guns like to have a little speed and authority when working the action, slow and lazy leads to jamming many times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One .22 Short or .22 Long will chamber. More than one though and it won't chamber. I tried pumping it faster and it still didn't chamber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts