National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this poor thing headed for the scrap pile. Some moron had pulled her bolt, fore end wood, and assembly leaving her carcass to die. According to the site I found the manufacture date is late 1903-1904. The parts he missed were and are the most valuable. Take a close look at this 'Marble' tang sight. I assembled all the missing parts and will be finishing up on the wood and cocking sleeve as soon as it arrives. I really needed ANOTHER project about like Custer needed more Indians at the Little big Horn. but here it is.

Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Table
Sleeve Hand tool Tool Wood Metal
Hood Black Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Hood Office equipment Windscreen wiper Automotive exterior Metal

Oh well, take a look at the photos. I still ain't a photographer. By the way I am looking for a box or two of the .22Winchester Auto ammo. Aquila and CCI are making it again but like my .32/40/ and .22WRF it is pretty scarce. IF anybody knows a LGS that I can deal with phone or computer please drop me a line. The places I tried to order from online were scams and rip off cons.

Hood Office equipment Windscreen wiper Automotive exterior Metal

Attachments

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
30,091 Posts
I wished I had the time, patience and money to do what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I saw some of that ammo a couple years ago, I think Midway turned up a batch of it. Haven't seen it since then. There seem to be dozens of those scammers out there, I ran across a bunch of em a couple weeks ago while shopping for powder.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
If I get to my LGS this weekend I'll ask them. They often have some oddball ammo stashed away. I found some flobert ammo there awhile back.
Nice little rifle too. I don't think you can touch one of those sights for under $100 last time I looked.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
AZHerper
5,952 Posts
I found this poor thing headed for the scrap pile. Some moron had pulled her bolt, fore end wood, and assembly leaving her carcass to die. According to the site I found the manufacture date is late 1903-1904. The parts he missed were and are the most valuable. Take a close look at this 'Marble' tang sight. I assembled all the missing parts and will be finishing up on the wood and cocking sleeve as soon as it arrives. I really needed ANOTHER project about like Custer needed more Indians at the Little big Horn. but here it is.

View attachment 138774 View attachment 138777 View attachment 138779 View attachment 138780

Oh well, take a look at the photos. I still ain't a photographer. By the way I am looking for a box or two of the .22Winchester Auto ammo. Aquila and CCI are making it again but like my .32/40/ and .22WRF it is pretty scarce. IF anybody knows a LGS that I can deal with phone or computer please drop me a line. The places I tried to order from online were scams and rip off cons.

View attachment 138777

View attachment 138777 View attachment 138779 View attachment 138779
View attachment 138780
Very nice job! I had a friend who had one of these when I was in high school (I graduated in 1954). Back in those days, it was easy to buy 22 auto ammo.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wished I had the time, patience and money to do what you are doing.
It has been fun. I, like many of OUR kind, swore I would not start another rescue project. Heard that one before haven't we all? When I saw the price and that Marbles sight perched up there, I was done. That sight is worth almost what I paid for the rifle. I doubt the other bidders realized that.
Very nice job! I had a friend who had one of these when I was in high school (I graduated in 1954). Back in those days, it was easy to buy 22 auto ammo.
My Brother has had one since the Noah's Ark boat ride. He has the full set of 'Self Loaders". I could not, in good conscience, walk away on this one. Too good a condition to scrap.
The stock has some minor damage with the obligatory pistol grip split. And of course, the missing fore end wood. I'll have this shooting before Independence Day. (y)

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I get to my LGS this weekend I'll ask them. They often have some oddball ammo stashed away. I found some flobert ammo there awhile back.
Nice little rifle too. I don't think you can touch one of those sights for under $100 last time I looked.
The bottom end listing on the net is about $175. in poor condition. The sights I saw in this rifles condition were between $250. and $275. plus tax and shipping. So that put them up in the $300. range. The fly in the buttermilk is, the only one 'In stock' looked like a $10. piece of junk. Using Numrich pricing guidelines, I could part the rifle out for over $600. I am quite happy with my new 1903. (y)
I appreciate the LGS check. I'm getting a bit paranoid about these ammo rip offs on the net. The only thing I miss about moving home to Texas, Arms Mart in Independence, Mo. He loves to haggle on price, but he has always had a full stock of powder, primers, ammo, and new/used guns. Plus, he is right down the street from the Lake City ammo plant. You have to stay on your toes with him but that has always been part of the fun. He has never cheated me.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love it. Well worth while recuse IMO. (y)
I cannot get over the great condition of the interior parts. No rust, no corrosion of any kind. Of course everything forward of the receiver was gone. I replaced that easily without a lot of money changing hands. I am just glad I caught it before it was stripped any further. (y)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love those Marble tang sites, usually the first thing I install on a cowboy levergun.
I haven't made up my mind about that yet. Depending how well it shoots with the standard sight I may transplant these sights to one of my 1890 octagon barrel WRF's. All of the seven 1890's have brand new Bownell's liners in the tubes.;) I just hope this early serial number 1903 is not shot out.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These folk are in Alabama. I've not purchased from them but they do have what your looking for. If anyone else out here has done business with them let North know.

Thanks pardner. I will check them out. I found an auction that LOOKS pretty good. I appreciate the effort.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Hit up my LGS quick last night and they had some for a long time but sold it a couple of months ago. I guess they only had a few boxes left over from a few years ago when they got a bunch in.

Reactions: Northtidesix
1 - 15 of 15 Posts