National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester 30 inch round barrel number 3 style A 32 40 original barrel. It is new but of course old. How many of these barrels were made in round. how rare is this one.?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,000 Posts
With that photo, I'm curious as to how you decided its an original barrel. Personally, I would like to see some clear, sharp, close up, photos of the markings on the barrel.

To answer your question, if it is indeed an original barrel and is in new condition, its age and condition make it valuable. As a rule of thumb, the longer the barrel, the rarer it is and round barrels are rarer than octagonal barrels.

·
57,000 Posts
Saintly Feces!!!

That is the real deal! Its an original Winchester barrel! Just a guess but I wouldn't take a dime less than $1500.00 (maybe more) for it if I owned that barrel.

The information you were given on the other forum mentioned is most probably correct. I believe the take down ring is a recent addition. I am sure the take down ring is missing vital parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you seem to know your stuff, has the blue been taken off of it you think, ort was it always like this , metal color. thanks, i appreciate the info

·
57,000 Posts
I'd say that some time since 1965(?) someone polished the barrel in preparation for a rebluing job. This polishing removed all remaining blueing and patina the barrel had. Unfortunately, this devalued the barrel somewhat.

Still, its a fine and rare barrel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting. i may keep it if it dont go too high, sort of save it like a rare coin or something. you know your winchester

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there a way to re-blue it to make it look like an original blue color, sort of have a master bluer do it, and age it. then i could put it on an 1885 and have a keepsake

·
57,000 Posts
I know a little about most firearms. I know a lot about very few.

I have restored several pre 1900 Winchester rifles (and a couple of Remingtons).

·
57,000 Posts
is there a way to re-blue it to make it look like an original blue color, sort of have a master bluer do it, and age it. then i could put it on an 1885 and have a keepsake
That reblueing can be done. To do correctly would indeed take a master's touch.

Since the original blue is already gone, why not have the receiver freshly color case hardened as well? Have them both done by a master. Add "new" wood. Don't age anything. That way you can have a brand new antique rifle as a "keepsake".

It will be an expensive job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what do you think a 1885 single shot done like that with this barrel would be worth. what would a mint condition receiver with but how much might i have to spend stock and all go for so i could change barrels.

·
57,000 Posts
The value you have is a part. A rather rare part.

There are two ways to go about this.

Build a new rifle using expensive original parts and make it look old. An expert and some non experts can tell the difference.

Build a new rifle using expensive original parts and make it look as it looked when it was new. No one will be fooled.

Both options, properly done, will make a beautiful finished product. Both will be costly to complete.

·
57,000 Posts
It depends on who does the work. There is a famous refinisher/rebuilder in New Hampshire (his name escapes me) who's finished products can bring five figures. He does not work cheaply!

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
interesting. i may keep it if it dont go too high, sort of save it like a rare coin or something. you know your winchester

You listed this item with no reserve, you are obligated by Gunbroker's terms of use to sell the item for the final price. I understand your urge to keep the barrel, now that you know what it is worth, but you should have done your homework first, or listed the item with a reserve price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.