National Gun Forum banner

Will this ruin accuracy.

927 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Rivervalley0311 
#1 ·
Hey guys I got a Savage Model 93R17 and ive been absolutely shooting the crap out of it, lets just say I made a slight mess up and i'm wondering if this will ruin the accuracy of the weapon, ive been using it for little varmints at ranges below 75 yards do you think this scratch in the bore will ruin my accuracy?

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, you can answer this best yourself. Go out and shoot some 100-yard 5-shot groups and see the results. From your pictures, it doesn't look like any burrs are projecting up into the bullets path and the 17HRM's should be going about 2,300 fps at the muzzle so I wouldn't expect much of an effect. Clearly, it's not great but for varminting, I wouldn't worry about it.

#6 ·
Absolutely a gouge like that will affect accuracy. That's the worse place to have it. Ruin is judged by you. I don't know what kind of accuracy you were getting before and found suitable. As suggest shoot it and see. There are crowning tools you can buy or rent to cut that back clean.

It's a low cost rifle and I don't know what you consider "shooting the crap" out of it means. You may want to investigate the cost of a new barrel.

#7 ·
depends on your expectations of accuracy......i am happy to hit a snuff can at 100 yards ....some folks insist on bottle cap accuracy or better,,,,and will buy/sell/trade/modify and tweak to obtain it......

shoot it and see if you can live with the results.......might be minor or major....only you can decide to live with it or not.

but a damaged crown is a concern.....

Reactions: Coalcracker
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.