National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a box of Brenneke Red Magic Sabot slugs at a local gun store yesterday. They told me that they would work in smooth bore since the slugs themselves contain rifling. I wet back to the same gun store today to check if they had some more and another employee told me that all sabot rounds will not work in smooth bores and that specifically the Red Magic slugs will blow up my shotgun, then proceeded to show me a video of his buddy shooting a shotgun and the barrel blew up in his hands. The box does not say whether they will work with smooth bore or not, and research online says that there specific ones that I have will work with a smooth bore. Here are pictures of the exact one that I have:
Screenshot_20201209-223823_Chrome.jpg

·
Aim true !
11,376 Posts
They will shot fine. But kiss accuracy good by. Because the sabot is designed to enguage in the rifling. You want rifled slugs for a smooth bore.

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
your gonna have to put it to paper and check the accuracy for your intended range......but generally a sabot is designed for a rifled barrel for optimum accuracy.

Reactions: TooskilledforU

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I've shot Brenneke slugs out of a smooth bore 12ga before with out any problems. I also shot them at paper (35yds) to make sure I was hitting what I was aiming at. They shot about the same as the cheaper pumpkin balls on paper so I left the Brenneke's for the boys with money. That was back in my po' boy days when I didn't have a rifle and hunted with a shotgun. I reloaded back then for shotshells but not slugs or buckshot.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,200 Posts
You'll probably want to use a cylinder bore choke. The video of shotgun blowing up, is most likely due to the guy using a too restrictive choke.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The problem when you think you know almost everything like me is that you don't believe people when they say things contrary to what you think you know. It could get you in trouble.

I often ask questions sometimes just to confirm what I already know. Which I found out can be annoying but I still do it. You expect the guy behind the counter to know what he is talking about but I know from experience they are not all experts.

If I have questions I would normally go with what the manufacturer tells me over what a sales clerk has to say. I have a lot of annoying habits and another one is playing dumb when I'm actually testing you. If you ever see an old guy reading the box and asking questions that might be me. "Can you shoot this through a smooth bore? Does it say it on the box anywhere? I don't see it on here."

FAQ on their site:
Yes, all slugs, with the exception of the Brenneke Gold Magnum/Magnum Crush and all brass Super Sabot can be used. Both of these slugs are designed to be used only in full-rifled barrels and must not be fired from any type of choked barrel.

I called the 800 number and they refered me to a sales rep, John in PA. I called and had a little chat with him. He also verified it was okay and taught me a few other things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts