National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eric Mack
11 August 2019

Cities around the world are being infested by wild boars – some carrying swine flu and some radioactive – Business Insider reported.

"The wild boar problem has been progressing for decades," Spanish scientist and Enetwild coordinator Joaquín Vicente Baños told The Guardian. "It's just that now we are seeing the consequences."

Damage from wild boars in the U.S. is believed to be more than $1 billion, according to the report.

The boars are exploding across the world, including Germany and Japan, where some are contaminated by nuclear radiation. Between Germany and Denmark a 42-mile wall was built to contain the spread of their swing flu, according to BI.

Earlier this year, thousands protested a Polish government plan to hold a massive slaughter of wild boars as a way to stop the spread of the deadly African swine fever among farm pigs.

"Conflicts between humans and wild boar will increase," Baños told The Guardian.

Boars are "resilient in the face of helicopter assaults, threats of mass poisoning and elaborate traps," according to The Washington Post.

The boars are being used as a viral talking point online, as a justification for AR-15 style semi-automatic weapons in American.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/wildboars-swineflu-infestation-cities/2019/08/11/id/928198/

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Sounds like we need to convince Jews, Muslims and Hindus to start eating more pork!

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
55,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You gotta be REAL hungry. They tend to taste like whay they've been eating for the past three months before 'harvest'.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
We have a problem here.

The "Big Thicket" is a national park and huge.

Big Thicket needs your help with new hog-trapping program Updated 4:28 pm CDT, Thursday, March 28, 2019

"Hog management is an on-going challenge throughout Southeast Texas," said Preserve Superintendent Wayne Prokopetz in a news release. "We hope that this new trapping program, paired with our existing public hunting opportunities and professional hog trapping efforts, will help diminish the impact this invasive species having on our environment."

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
You gotta be REAL hungry. They tend to taste like whay they've been eating for the past three months before 'harvest'.
Around here it's feed from feeders, corn, soy beans, acorns, pecans and anything else. Now the ones near the big dumps near bog cities would be better off used for chum

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
I’m going with 6 other Jersey hunters to try and reduce the hog population in South Carolina this October. There are no wild hogs to speak of in NJ but there’s lots of guys who would like to be able to hunt them.

·
Super Moderator
14,875 Posts
#1 son is out running therm tonight. If he kills ten, there'll be ten more tomorrow night.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,875 Posts
I've killed a bunch of hogs, domesticated and feral. I found domesticated boars to be inedible. I didn't even like barrows. I only found one rifle killed feral hog to be inedible, a poor nursing sow. The largest feral boar I killed was pushing 450# on the hoof. I made sausage from the whole thing. No gamey rate at all. I don't eat dog run hogs. I've been told they are okay to eat. I don't see how. I didn't hunt them to eat in the nine hot months we have. I do kill them on sight.

Down here the buzzards eat everything but the skin, hair, and bones.

These days I get my pork from the store. All the cleaning that's required is to cut open the shrink wrap.

Alan

Reactions: BigNastyCowboy

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The boars are being used as a viral talking point online, as a justification for AR-15 style semi-automatic weapons in American.

Like I need a boar infestation to justify my need for a AR style rifle.
Also an AR-15 would be hard pressed to take down a 400 lb hog. Go for the AR-10

·
Super Moderator
14,875 Posts
Most feral hogs aren't 400#. I've killed a lot with a 222 rem. A 223 works just fine too. The majority of hogs are probably better classified as pigs (50-150#).

Of course we don't ever have to justify or have justification for owning one kind of firearm or another, but one. The only justification is the 2nd Amendment which articulates our right.

It's a slippery slope when we start buying into the left's argument that we must have or prove a need for any right.

Alan

·
55,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kill them with a .44 Mag revolver. Its one and done if I do my part correctly.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Super Moderator
14,875 Posts
44 mags do a good job on lots of things.

Alan

Reactions: Popeye

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
I think we’ll all be using 30-06’s on the SC hogs. They mostly go 50-150 lbs. they set up feed stations with stands about 80-100 yards away. Really looking forward to it. I’ve got a friend who can make the sausage and chorizo.

·
Super Moderator
14,875 Posts
A 30-06 will do just fine too.

Alan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts