National Gun Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve got plenty of brass stocked for the handguns-saved every piece I bought as factory ammo and have plenty of powder on hand. I’ve been buying bullets in bulk from multiple sources. I’m a bit low on pistol primers and may just bite the bullet and buy a case. I’m well set for rifle reloading as I have a case plus of rifle primers. The pistol brass is stored in an aircraft hanger with my presses in bins and the rifle brass is stored in the magazine with the bullets, powder and primers.

I also recycle brass to fund my reloading. Any brass that’s damaged goes in the scrap bin. When it fills up, I take it down to the scrap dealer. It’s worth the effort since you get well over a dollar for every pound of scrap brass. Sometimes I’ll scrap 9mm brass simply because I’ve accumulated too much of it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am still finding .454 Casull and .338 WinMag at normal prices in the gun stores.
That's probably because it's hunting ammunition. Hunting ammunition appears to still be fairly accessible.

I'm working on building up my reserves of 30 carbine and 30-06 at the moment. Got a lead on cases and bullets for 30 carbine-I've got the powder and primers on hand. Got powder and primers on hand for 30-06 but need more cases and bullets.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If J.B does end up being president. I wonder how long the ammo panic buying will keep on going? Im glad im stocked up. But to last 4 years i'll have to slow down some on my plinking.
That ain’t no lie

Prices are spiking. Ammosekk yesterday was 54.rnd. now it 64/round for 223. Gonna get worse.
My local farm store has been extremely reasonable throughout all this. Today, however, I saw Federal American Eagle .223 for $1.05/rd. That means they are getting gouged. Everything else is still reasonable (what they have anyway).

·
Jesus Saves
7,920 Posts
This time it may stick around a bit longer.

I wonder if 4-5 capacity mags will be short on hand?

·
Premium Member
6,290 Posts
The question is,” do you have enough ammo to defend or take any necessary action YOU , your family and friends or you’re country needs?”

·
Registered
69 Posts
For me, the answer to the first two is a definite yes. Got enough semiautomatic pistols and rifles to issue each immediate family member a semiautomatic pistol, 500 rounds of 9x19 and a rifle/carbine with 250 cartridges each.

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
Depends. For how long? If my shot placement is good, what I have should last a while. I don't have near what you guys have. I'm in a mobile home, and no where to go, so if I get a dozen shots off before they kill me, then I have plenty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I were at my folks place, I'd probably not have much of a need for the handgun ammo. Roof is flat and reinforced with stairway access and open land surrounding the house. If I were up there on the roof, I could pick off intruders well before they get in handgun range with my M1886 M93 Lebel, 1903 Springfield or M1.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
my old rule of thumb was to be able to hold off the troubles for a few days till order is restored...its really not based on a heavy inventory for defensive purposes......besides, range ammo will do just fine if necessary. you use what you got.

in truth, if it ever got that bad......i am sure that gun fire and looters laying in the street would have the same effect as Moses parting the waters......but one set of troubles would end while a new set on the legal side would begin...

a sufficient supply of ammo for defense is not the problem........watching your supply of ammo dwindle as you either can not find it or afford to replace it is the problem....it leads to less practice, fewer range sessions as the problem is no longer short term supply of a few days or weeks.....its now a problem of resupply that spans months.

the range habits have changed for many......
excess.....jsut shoot until you ran out, got tired, or lost the light....those days are mostly gone.
moderation....effecting which guns are seeing range time and what is staying at home via ammo availability...
minimalist.....keep acquainted with your gun and save the ammo....the drive by of range practice

this keeps up and the range going citizen population of shooters will become just as bad shooters as the majority of LEO's....the one or two range trips a year style of leo proficiency....

the biden victory is going to keep the pressure on.......as well as the millions of new gun owners whom are going to be wanting to get involved in creating their own inventory and wanting to go to the range....and many of them have probably not as of yet....they are clinging to their one box of ammo....

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
The question is,” do you have enough ammo to defend or take any necessary action YOU , your family and friends or you’re country needs?”
Yes.

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
I just checked Ammoseek for .22lr, $0.17/rnd!!!!!! I've been chewing on two boxes of 599ct Thunderbolt for a while, thought I might pick some up since I can't afford 9mm or .223, I got those boxes of Thunderbolt for $22 a box. I thought 22's were maintaining their price. I looked in my Walmart today, the shelves were bare. What are the prices like in Walmart for 22lr if you can find them? $85/box of 500 on Ammoseek more then 3x what I paid for Thunderbolt.

·
Aim true !
10,711 Posts
I scrounged up about 60-70 casings the last 2 days of 308,30/30 and 243. Not to shabby considering.

·
Aim true !
10,711 Posts
Sam i use brick seek to check walmart ammo innovatory. I checked for federal 325 count. 2 stores close to me have it.

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
Thanks Coal. There are some around, not as expensive as Ammoseek, still nothing like it was. Guess I'll take a ride tomorrow and pick some up.

·
Aim true !
10,711 Posts
You're welcome. Im gonna grab some of the 325 count too. There 1200 fps. A little easier on my vintage 22's.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts