National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like small-to-medium frame (from snub-nose up to 4" barrels) modern double-action revolvers for carry in .38 Special (+ P optional). I like all-steel construction with a satin stainless all-weather finish and rubber Hogue type grips.

I can hit what I shoot at more consistently with a wheel-gun. I can shoot with tighter groups. In my experience, revolvers never have malfunctioned. I've owned Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers both. I've had a second-hand Colt 45 S. 70 Govt. Model that was quite troublesome. Revolvers are easier to keep clean. They are much safer to carry and lack sensitive triggers. The hammer rests over empty chamber. No accidental discharges if dropped. Wheel-guns recoil less. No fast-moving slide. They don't drop spent brass on the ground while firing. I can carry different loads in the cylinder's multiple chambers: birdshot for snakes, bullets for something bigger while on the trail. I can quickly crack open the cylinder and select the load I need by rotating it in position for the ammo type I need to be the next round fired. A coiled-up, rattling and hissing snake will give you time to do this while a charging cougar won't. My cylinder will normally be in position to fire bullets first by default since fur-bearing animals with teeth and claws move much more quickly than do rattlesnakes. With a magazine-fed gun, one has to stack loads in the column and shoot the bullets out of the way to get to the birdshot loads. A revolver gives this convenient rotary-dial type shot selection when mixed ammunition types are loaded.

·
Barney
107 Posts
I like revolvers too, and I guess that I agree with much of what you say in principle, I am going to argue some of your points though. First, a revolver never malfunctions. It does. In the fifty years that I have carried a revolver, twenty professionally, I've had or seen two firing pins break. One on a model 10 and one on a model 64. I think that is pretty good odds and I can live with them, but they did break and you can't say they don't. Okay, moving on. The hammer rests on an empty chamber? I think that they used to do that in the day with old single action revolvers, but I don't think that has been the case for over a century. I sure don't leave a chamber empty on any of my revolvers. The chances of a modern revolver going off from a hammer strike is so remote that I don't think that is a factor to deal with. Modern firearms, revolvers or semi autos are pretty safe from a drop. Sure there are mishaps, but they are anomalies, not the norm. I'm suggesting that if you are turning your five shooter into a four shooter or your six shooter into a five shooter, that's probably not very wise from a tactical standpoint. Probably the biggest drawback with revolvers is capacity. Don't make it worse than it has to be. I don't know about this loading up different cylinders with different rounds, mixing them up, then dialing up whatever load serves the purpose, snakes to cougars. Your examples, not mine. Popping the cylinder open and indexing the proper round while addressing a charging cougar just doesn't seem practical from a tactical standpoint. And then how does one plan for or anticipate the follow up? As far as a snake, I've not shot a charging snake, and I don't know how fast they charge, but I'm thinking that a +P hollowpoint will do the job. So much for those points. I agree about spent rounds though. Empty casings are evidence. It is my contention that any and all evidence you throw around can be used against you in a court of law. I just feel better about keeping control of where my evidence is. But that is just a small reason. I'm quite sure there are instances both real and imagined where evidence be damned, you might need to spray. So that one is up for debate, but I'm pretty solid on keeping my evidence in my hand. Alright, glad I could join in on the conversation. It is a boring day already, I hope that I have not contributed to other's. Smiley.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like revolvers too, and I guess that I agree with much of what you say in principle, I am going to argue some of your points though. First, a revolver never malfunctions. It does. In the fifty years that I have carried a revolver, twenty professionally, I've had or seen two firing pins break. One on a model 10 and one on a model 64. I think that is pretty good odds and I can live with them, but they did break and you can't say they don't. Okay, moving on. The hammer rests on an empty chamber? I think that they used to do that in the day with old single action revolvers, but I don't think that has been the case for over a century. I sure don't leave a chamber empty on any of my revolvers. The chances of a modern revolver going off from a hammer strike is so remote that I don't think that is a factor to deal with. Modern firearms, revolvers or semi autos are pretty safe from a drop. Sure there are mishaps, but they are anomalies, not the norm. I'm suggesting that if you are turning your five shooter into a four shooter or your six shooter into a five shooter, that's probably not very wise from a tactical standpoint. Probably the biggest drawback with revolvers in capacity. Don't make it worse than it has to be. I don't know about this loading up different cylinders with different rounds, mixing them up, then dialing up whatever load serves the purpose, snakes to cougars. Your examples, not mine. Popping the cylinder open and indexing the proper round while addressing a charging cougar just doesn't seem practical from a tactical standpoint. And then how does one plan for or anticipate the follow up. As far as a snake, I've not shot a charging snake, and I don't know how fast they charge, but I'm thinking that a +P hollowpoint will do the job. So much for those points. I agree about spent rounds though. Empty casings are evidence. It is my contention that any and all evidence you throw around can be used against you in a court of law. I just feel better about keeping control of where my evidence is. But that is just a small reason. I'm quite sure there are instances both real and imagined where evidence be damned, you might need to spray. So that one is up for debate, but I'm pretty solid on keeping my evidence in my hand. Alright, glad I could join in on the conversation. It is a boring day already, I hope that I have not contributed to other's. Smiley.
No, sir. I would carry different load types in the SAME cylinder while closed in the breech of the gun while hunting or on the trail. The gun would be indexed by default to shoot the bullets FIRST. It would only be re-indexed for a possible snake encounter by opening it up and rotating the cylinder then closing the breech again so that the birdshot load will fire next. The gun would be carried so that the proper loads for aggressive humans or cougars would be fired right off the bat. I don't want to shoot bullets at snakes up close on or in rocks for the danger of ricochet. In a six-shooter, I would have the hammer over an empty chamber followed by 4 SWC loads followed by a .38 birdshot load. I know poisonous snakes don't charge like dangerous land mammals (wolf, lion, bear, Bigfoot, buffalo, angry cattle, bull moose) but they do strike sometimes. I read that a rattler can strike from a coiled position up to half its total body length. Something to remember in the bush. Some rattlers can be quite aggressive, I've read.

I've been lucky enough that at least my revolvers, or borrowed and rented ones, (all modern DA six-shooters by variously Smith & Wesson, Colt and Ruger, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 Colt) have never malfunctioned at the range. I have not fired revolvers much over my lifetime. Having read enough articles in gun magazines for decades has convinced my of the revolvers' renowned mechanical reliability especially in a good make like Smith, Ruger or Colt.

I'm not a litterbug so I don't like to bend over to pick up spent brass off the ground unless I have to. I'm not worried about incriminating evidence. I would be lawfully justified in whatever I had to shoot, God forbid, should I ever have to shoot out of fear in the first place. I've been in the army for seven years also. Over my entire life, I've never had to use a weapon of any kind out of fear for my life or limb or that of a loved one.

·
Live Free
2,874 Posts
If you have time to open the cylinder and re-index for a snake, then you have time to step away and let the snake live to control rodent populations. If he hasn't bit you already, likely you can avoid the confrontation...

I did it again! :mad2:

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have time to open the cylinder and re-index for a snake, then you have time to step away and let the snake live to control rodent populations. If he hasn't bit you already, likely you can avoid the confrontation...

I did it again! :mad2:
I've never had to shoot a snake. There might be a situation where a snake has me boxed in or has my dog boxed in as between him and a large rock. There may be no rearward retreat to step away. The snake might have to be shot out of the way.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Most revolvers use some sort of transfer bar system so they don't have to be carried with the hammer over an empty cylinder.
Have you ever tried to suppress a revolver? With few exceptions it doesn't work.

I think John_Preston is back.

·
Barney
107 Posts
I've never had to shoot a snake. There might be a situation where a snake has me boxed in or has my dog boxed in as between him and a large rock. There may be no rearward retreat to step away. The snake might have to be shot out of the way.
You know, whatever it takes. Smiley. We all justify what we are doing in our own way. I'll not step on yours.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Reactions: Randy

·
AZHerper
3,735 Posts
You said "As far as a snake, I've not shot a charging snake, and I don't know how fast they charge, but I'm thinking that a +P hollowpoint will do the job "
I Don't know where you get your crap information but snakes don't charge period. You talk about a snake having you or your dog "boxed in". You must live in some kind of fantasy land!

By the way: Your excessive posts are affecting the relevance of this website. I you aren't "JP" your're in the same ballpark. The admins should either warn you or block you.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You said "As far as a snake, I've not shot a charging snake, and I don't know how fast they charge, but I'm thinking that a +P hollowpoint will do the job "
I Don't know where you get your crap information but snakes don't charge period. You talk about a snake having you or your dog "boxed in". You must live in some kind of fantasy land!

By the way: Your excessive posts are affecting the relevance of this website. I you aren't "JP" your're in the same ballpark. The admins should either warn you or block you.
I didn't know there were posting restrictions in terms of numbers of threads. You might think my threads excessive, but I've been a good boy and kept my language clean here. I'm not calling people names here or talking down upon people here. My thread here is about some good reasons to have a revolver and this is a revolver forum so I fail to see the irrelevance. I'm not telling people what to own. I'm trying to be helpful. Can't we all get along and be civil? I get my ideas about snakes and snake protection from cowboy movies, gun writers, hunting writers and TV shows. I have never met a snake in person that I thought was in my way or that I had to shoot it to survive. Chances are that most encounters with snakes never require a gun to be drawn. Has anybody here ever shot a snake in self-defense?

Since I've signed up as a new member the other day, I have not yet received one message in my inbox from mods or anybody else. I don't seem to be violating site terms by any content posted here. I have been getting ribbed by people here and maybe it's part of the initiation process. I'm a sporting gentleman and won't melt like a wicked witch soaked with a water pail. Some folks here must think I am this "JP" character that might have not been liked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i use myhandgun for self protection. if i havent killed or stopped the attacker in6 rounds of 44special.in getting the **** out of there.
i dont plan on beining in a gun fight with an army.(at least not till the **** hits the fan.then i have my AR for that)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I feel like my CZ-P01 is just as reliable and easy to clean as any revolver. It's definitely more accurate than a 4" revolver. It holds almost 3 times as many rounds and really doesn't weigh much more. It has a 9lb trigger when fire DA, so it's just as safe to carry.

I do like the simplicity of a good revolver though, especially in rim-fire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts