National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Glock pistols first came out, they were only in 9mm caliber. And at that time I was much more of a Colt (only) 1911 variation in .45 ACP caliber fan, and still am. When Governor Scott Walker finally signed Conceal Carry into law, back in 2011, I did carry my 1911 for a while. That pistol and two extra full magazines was hard to hide in warm weather clothing and the weight involved became a bit of a burden.
Then I tried shooting a Glock 23 in .40 S&W caliber. I immediately took to the "striker fired" idea, over the slower hammer swing and longer lock time involved with the 1911. After I got my Glock suited for what I preferred, I really like it as my primary CCW:
At first I carried my pistol in a Kydex holster, but found it printed too obviously during summer months wearing a
T-shirt, and the Kydex allowed finish to wear off quite rapidly, so I sent the slide to Robar and had the NP2 finish applied and went with a vest and a Diamond D shoulder rig. My idea was also to show that the pistol, if ever it needed to be drawn in dim light, was something real and obvious as to what it was.
The hard grip frame had a tendency to beat up on my shooting paw when using 170-180 grain bullets, so I found that the Pachmayr rubber grip sleeve helped to make shooting sessions last longer and be more comfortable:

It does make the grip much more comfortable, even with medium size hands.
Muzzle flip with my cartridges of choice was a bit more than I thought was needed so I sent the slide off to Mag-na-port to have the barrel and slide ported:

It does help a bit with attempts at doing the "John Wick" two shots to center mass and one to the noggin, at least, and when only on a silhouette body type of target.

·
Super Moderator
11,198 Posts
Don't hate 'em. Don't really like 'em. Great guns, to be sure, but not to my taste. They don't feel right in the hand and I don't like the look of them.

--Wag--

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,345 Posts
Don't hate 'em. Don't really like 'em. Great guns, to be sure, but not to my taste. They don't feel right in the hand and I don't like the look of them.

--Wag--
Same here.

·
Live Free
2,809 Posts

--Wag--
Pretty much sums up my attitude toward them too. As a whole I tend to favor hammer fired guns over strikers, but the striker fired guns lend to being more portable for day to day carry.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The one time I fired one, the first thing I disliked was the trigger. Compared to a 1911 trigger, it felt "spongy" like a squirt gun. I also don't like the grip angle for combat shooting. I like a gun that gives me a more natural point of aim. YMMV.

Having worked in the industrial safety business, the idea of a "safety trigger" is an oxymoron to me. The same actuator (the trigger) that you use to make the gun fire when you want it to, also contains the actuator for a device that is supposed to keep the gun from firing when you don't want it to. That is bad industrial safety design. That is why "Glock Leg" is a thing. Yes, I know all you have to do is "keep your booger hook off the bang switch." I am not attracted to guns marketed to people who call their fingers "booger hooks."

Finally, they look like they were designed by Lego. Other than that, they're great!

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
i might eventually get around to getting a glock 26 or 27.....of course i have been saying that for several years... i do like those glock models as i have had range time with them......problem is....i have other priorities.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,976 Posts

--Wag--
Ditto. Plus I prefer DA/SA pistols with a combat style hammer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Grip: It just "feels" cheap to me. Which I can get past. I also am particular with
material choice a more conventional frame offers more options.

Angle: Being accustom to the "perfectly instinctive" angle of the 1911 I can't get used to
the angle of a Glock. It would be like moving my car seat at a 4° angle to the
steering wheel.
Trigger: Again shooting 1911's has spoiled me here as well. I dont expect a non-1911 to be
as good, but you get used to a certain "predictability" and I just can't find it with a
Glock.
Most of "my issues" with the Glock are more related to target shooting. If your looking for a self defence weapon, grip and trigger can be overlooked, angle may be a different story (depending on your muscle memory and what else you shoot).

To me it would be owning a gun that I have to think differently when I shot it. Which wouldn't be good for target or self defense.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,976 Posts
Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
359 Posts
They're bulky, thats my biggest gripe. Quality guns other than that, though.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
37 Posts
I jumped on the glock band wagon in the early 90's. At that time in the area I was living at renting a firearm to try it was not an option so unless you know someone who had one you had to rely on what you read in the gun magazines and what the dealer told you which is all that I had to decide if I should buy one.

I went ahead and purchased the glock and took it out for my first range time with it. Right off the bat I was not a big fan of the ergonomics. I noticed it was light weight but that in turn caused a noticeable increase in the recoil which was a negative for me. Then I noticed that the trigger performance was poor and frankly was the worse I had experienced at that time. I spent a few months trying to force myself to like it but it became apparent that this plastic framed, striker fire system was not going to work out for me so I sold the glock and moved on to other pistols that worked out much better for me like the Beretta 92, SIG P226, and CZ-75.

·
Super Moderator
11,198 Posts
As much a I don't care for Glocks, I have two and looking for a third specific Glock. 34, 41 and 35, all long slides in 9mm, 45 acp and 40 s&w.

And I don't care for striker fired pistols but I also have an M&P 40.

That said, still don't care for Glocks or striker fired pistols in general.

--Wag--

·
Registered
688 Posts
A pistol you can't un-cock, when loaded---
A pistol which has no loaded chamber indicator---
A pistol where you can't tell if it's striker is cocked---
A pistol with a light single action and no safety----
The only pistol with an injury syndrome named after it(big surprise)-------

And that, my friends, is every model of glock, made . . .

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Really though, non of those are issues if you adhere to the basic rules of gun safety. Putting trust in gun features for safety breeds complacency.
problem is......a lot of folks have not followed such rules since the firearm was invented, will never read the instruction manual, take a safety course, etc, etc....and in truth those folks out-number us that do. And then there is that pesky "do'oh" moment......or should i say the human factor of murphy's law....

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really though, non of those are issues if you adhere to the basic rules of gun safety. Putting trust in gun features for safety breeds complacency.
How true! Safety with firearms is between the owners ears, or at least should be. Depending on ANY safety device is folly.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
problem is......a lot of folks have not followed such rules since the firearm was invented, will never read the instruction manual, take a safety course, etc, etc....and in truth those folks out-number us that do. And then there is that pesky "do'oh" moment......or should i say the human factor of murphy's law....
I've seen some of what you posted at our local gun club, which guided me to becoming an NRA Certified "Safety Range Officer".
Some of the firearms handling I witnessed would make any common sense gun owner's knees weak. Those members who were seen doing safety infractions were either put through a safety course, or lost their right to membership.

Reactions: Wag

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As much a I don't care for Glocks, I have two and looking for a third specific Glock. 34, 41 and 35, all long slides in 9mm, 45 acp and 40 s&w.

And I don't care for striker fired pistols but I also have an M&P 40.

That said, still don't care for Glocks or striker fired pistols in general.

--Wag--
Gotta admit, your post is quite confusing, to me. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts