National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the folks that have taught me along the way and I must say I have been very fortunate when it comes to some of the high profile folks helping me. My first teacher was Ad Topperwein. He lived down the road about 2 miles and I had gotten an old Remington Model 511 Scoremaster with 4 power small tube scope, so he decided I needed to know how to shoot correctly. First, the scope came off. If you can't hit with open sights, you can't hit at all. We did a lot of shooting behind his place. He was the greatest point shooter I've ever seen. He really didn't need sight at all. I got good enough that I was taking siding nails off the side of a 2x 4 without hitting the 2x 4 at 50 yds. I probably couldn't hit one today. Then there was a guy by the name of Bob Pease of Remington 40X fame. He was the intelligence behind my getting into benchrest with a 40X that he put together. I still have the rifle and it has been in the imfamous Houston Warehouse and has shot a one hole group. Then there was another old guy from Illinois that settled in Texas by the name of Kline and had a gunshop in San Antonio. He helped a lot with the shooting and reloading. Up until that time I thought the only way to reload was weighing every round. Kline had a target on the wall that he shot with a 308 Norma Mag at 1000 yds in Illinois that looked like a near one hole group. It was shot on a cold still morning but not in competition so it doesn't count except to him. He never weighed any powder charges but reloaded by volume. I've used this same concept a time or two and it works.

So who taught you?

·
Banned
818 Posts
Dad put an SKS in my hands when I was only 3 years old. First shot knocked me on my diapered butt, but I didn't cry. In fact I had a huge smile and was really impressed. Ever since then I been shooting. :---

G

·
My dad gave me a pellet gun and sort of just left me to figure it out on my own, and the the Army tried to reteach me how but I showed them that if it aint broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Dad.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Westerns on TV:
Wyatt Earp
The Rifleman
The Lone Ranger
Roy Rogers
Wanted Dead or Alive.
Have Gun Will Travel
:D :D :D
Actually learned rifle shooting in the Army and pistol shooting with IDPA.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
shipwreck said:
No one - had to do it myself...
That's how I learned too, shipwreck. My Grandad got me started when I was 6 or 7 & I grew from there. Of course, I've had some help from from friends time to time. :-B-:

·
Registered
658 Posts
My dad about age 6 or earlier with .22s and shotguns.
I got a Browning .410 side by side for my 7th birthday. Wish I had it now.
I learned skeet from my uncle who was one of those nearly 500 out of 500 shooters. I was pretty good and won some stuff but it just did not interest me.
I learned a lot in the Army '66-'72 about a lots of weapons. You might say it was a matter of survival.
Loved the M60 and M79. I did not know that later was a short term weapon for the Army until I was watching (what else) a show on the military channel the other day about the M79.
I wonder if they would surplus one to me for the mantel?

·
Registered
569 Posts
keninaz said:
My dad about age 6 or earlier with .22s and shotguns.
I got a Browning .410 side by side for my 7th birthday. Wish I had it now.
I learned skeet from my uncle who was one of those nearly 500 out of 500 shooters. I was pretty good and won some stuff but it just did not interest me.
I learned a lot in the Army '66-'72 about a lots of weapons. You might say it was a matter of survival.
Loved the M60 and M79. I did not know that later was a short term weapon for the Army until I was watching (what else) a show on the military channel the other day about the M79.
I wonder if they would surplus one to me for the mantel?
I'd like an M203 for my AR15, but don't think that'll happen either... :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dad, mostly. I was remembering the other day, that my grandfather gave me a color/activity book when I was 6 or 7. It was gun related, about as thick as a phone book, and had stuff in it like how to align your sights and safety practices. Imagine how un-PC it would be today. I sure wish I could find on of those for my kids.

·
drinks other peoples beer
385 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it's a goodun - trapper, great story, sounds like ya done learnt from some of the best. As for me, my dad taught me, turned this lefty into a righty cuz , well ... "I not buying you no fancy LH gun" Well, ain't been able to hit sh.....t since but .. i sure do have fun .. :) /// btw. I still have my ole remington scoremaster, bolt action 6 six in the mag and she still shoots true. (dang that was a lonnnng time ago)

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
I grew up in a major metropolitan area, and so had few local options. My Dad is a good man, and shoots, but was a little busy at the time for that. However:

In addition to monthly camping trips, my Boy Scout Troop spent two weeks each summer at a regional Scout reservation. I learned rifle and shotgun shooting there, at ten. The range instructors varied each year. First year, I had a former Marine marksmanship instructor ("Lock and load! One round! Ball ammunition!"). Another year we had a burnout ("Do-on't do that ..."). But My Favorite Year, we had a Finn vet and reservist named Leif, who told old family stories of the Winter War, taught us to strip and clean the guns, did not tolerate Hollywood-ing or "silly songs" on the radio, instilled basic principles of marksmanship, and inculcated most of my habits and attitudes about shooting which I carry to this day. So although I had shot for awhile before Leif came along, I'd say he's the guy that "taught me to shoot."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts