National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I became interested in this gun a while back when I saw a review of it from sootch00. A 1911 AND chambered in 22? Yes please! I’ve been wanting to see one in person to feel the weight because if its Heavy, I’m in. I found one today in a pawn shop with a laser and flashlight on the rail and fiber optic sights for $150. SOLD! So i have it, but we have a week of rain ahead and I’m not going to get to try it.

scootch00 said it has a soft spring to simulate recoil with the heavy slide so it’s a great trainer for larger caliber 1911’s. It does indeed rack very easily. The weight is amazing, just as heavy as any 1911 I’ve picked up. He says it’s very accurate shooting with it’s fixed barrel. Best bang for the buck in an inexpensive 1911.

My favorite gun is a 1911 and my favorite caliber is 22 so I’m very happy about this purchase. I’m annoyed that it’ll be 5 days or so before i shoot it.

Can anyone who owns this give me some insight?

Attachments

·
Aim true !
9,753 Posts
I have one. It would need to double and sometimes i had to triple strike to get it to fire a new rounds per mag. Bought it from Buds. I did take out the extended warranty. They fixed it. It's been great since. I did not have to file the sight in the front either. The finish does wear easy on them though. I stripped mine and polished some and cleared it.
DSCF8099.JPG

Reactions: One1

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've had to do some work on cheaper guns before to make them right, so I expected maybe to have to do little things to it. That's really what makes cheaper guns bad is the lack of fit and finish. I think anything can be made to run well. I may experiment with springs or do some filing in spots to make it smooth. I see you have a Citadel model which should be the same. There seems to be a need to hold this gun tight to eliminate malfunctions. Limp wristing these with the heavy slide seems to cause issues from the reviews.

edit: well I don’t know how much this will matter but I just found out that I have the 5 inch tactical version. It’s about 100 bucks more expensive but the important part is that it’s an inch longer than the 4 inch version and has a different trigger and sights.

Attachments

·
Aim true !
9,753 Posts
It's a Chiappa. But i see the Citadels are the same. Mine has the stock springs in. Not sure what Buds did, They didn't include any repair notes when i got it back.

·
Aim true !
9,753 Posts
Yes they call it zmack or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I have the 1911-22 that GSG makes. It's a ton of fun. You're going to love yours!

--Wag--

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aren’t the Chiappa’s built out of a zink alloy? I am pretty sure I read that somewhere.
it's a 7075 T6 alloy mixed with their own blend of herbs and spices and they call it a clever name. It's not used for the barrel which is steel, just the frame.

·
Live Free
2,759 Posts
it's a 7075 T6 alloy mixed with their own blend of herbs and spices and they call it a clever name. It's not used for the barrel which is steel, just the frame.
Chiappalloy is what they call it. Looks like the barrel is a steel tube encased in alloy materials. I have heard they are fun pistols. Enjoy yours! :thumbsup:

·
Aim true !
9,753 Posts
Yeah that's it Chiappalloy, Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Managed just a few shots on a break today. Still don't have anything that shoots better than my M&P Compact 22, but I do like it. Just to see how easily it shot the lowest power ammo I stuck some Aguila Colibri 420fps in it which is primer cap only with hollow case and it shot all 5 of them. I dig it.

Attachments

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok 250 rounds later i have to be careful or I’m going to end up liking this gun way too much. I try not to get attached to “cheap” guns. I’m getting pretty incredible groups with this thing and it goes where I tell it to. The weight is very nice compared to my lightweight Compact, which I like because it’s lightweight......oddly. The 1911 feels more like an old cowboy gun revolver which I’m extremely accurate with compared to newer semi-autos. The feel of it is very good. I think they did an awesome job of capturing the essence of the 1911.

·
Aim true !
9,753 Posts
I'll warn you now. 1911's are very addicting. :cornut: Below is all my RIA'S.
DSCF8350.JPG

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s conflicting for sure because they shoot so well, but there is the appeal of the designs of the more tactical stuff. If i had to choose I’d take the old “bland” guns that shoot like this one does. You can get this or an old cowboy gun and watch that front sight move a mm at a time. You really zero in and it forces you to pay attention to how you’re holding it because you are so focused on the nose you can see every little movement you make down the sights. These 1911 and cowboy guns force you to focus. They are great.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Side question. Since this isn’t cerakoted or anything fancy had anyone tried to sand and polish the slide on these?

·
Aim true !
9,753 Posts
Just wipe it down with an oil rag. Sanding will take off the finish.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yep. I was thinking of polishing it, but idk if Chipaloy polishes.

Here’s a great example of how accurate this little plinker is. I said i was getting incredible groups.

here are 4 shots in a row.

99A07C8B-1FF3-4800-8760-019C887F4D5A.jpeg

6 shots in a row

EECE73CB-975F-4D95-BD39-49E53271F51C.jpeg

·
Aim true !
9,753 Posts
One trick is black kiwi shoe polish. RIA rep told me that trick. He learned it from a RIA smith.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Won’t take the finish off, just a polish? I’ve had great results with meguires wheel polish. I’m just not sure if Chipalloy is a metal that will polish well.

still blown away that a gun that’s $265 retail or $375 ($100 more for this tactical/target version) can shoot a hole the size of a 22 in the same spot consistently. Cheap guns typically aren’t accurate, but i have to give it to them on this one. They did it right. The weight is excellent, the fixed barrel is dead on solid, and it feels like a 1911. I was really hesitant on this one and i still don’t like the plastic mag, but what a great shooter. I’m going to be going head to head with my Ruger Mkiii and M&P 22 Compact this weekend and see which one does best.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts