National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a website you guys know of that lists stores with no gun policies? I googled the hell out of it without any luck. I get beeps from the door detectors at Target and Borders Books on the way in but not on the way out. there is no sign on either of these places.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've not heard of any website, but this subject has been discussed here and most of the other gun forums I frequent. The problem is, several of the companies have no-gun policies in some stores and not others. One of the big box stores was mentioned by a member in the midwest -- I've been to three of their N.M. stores with no such restriction. Restaurants as well. In some states, CCW holders can carry in any restaurant, anywhere. Here, if a restaurant has a liquor license (even just a "beer and wine license" as many here do) we in NM cannot legally carry. So even if there was a website, it would have as many exceptions as it did rules, if it was to be honest and accurate.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Those detectors you see at the doors are not metal detectors. They detect the tags on the merchandise in the store, so that, if you try to walk out with something that hasn't been entered into the system as sold, the alarm will go off.

You should definitely study the laws for your own state, and I can only tell you about Arizona laws. Typically, carrying into stores is legal. If the store owner of management discovers that you have a gun and asks you to leave or disarm, then you must do so. If you don't then you can be charged with trespassing. Even if the store is posted no firearms, it's still pretty much the same. Technically, a store could argue in court that the sign itself is the same as asking you to leave or disarm, but as far as I know, it hasn't been tested in court. Carrying in government facilities that are posted is an entirely different matter. That can be a felony. Also, it is unlawful to carry a firearm into any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. Again, that is just Arizona law (and not even all of it).

If you are going to carry a firearm for self defense, then it is your responsibility to learn the laws regarding the carrying of firearms.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
There was a long thread in another forum from members who swore that their guns caused the detectors to go off.

The general concensus was that there was probably an RFID tag stuck somewhere that caused it.

Check you gun, take off the grips and look inside, scrutinize your holster, and see if you can't find one.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I am not aware of any retail stores that have equipment in place to detect firearms. If you beep the equipment going in then you must have a tag in your clothing somewhere or in a product you are bringing back for reimbursement.

Plus there is no way you would get back out without setting off the alarm again. It is not a one way system.

I have taken my kel-tec into all the major chains, restaurants and bars and never set off an alarm. We are allowed to take our carry firearms into the bars in Oregon at this time. That may change in the future, but I have never known any bar incidents that have occurred with individuals that have carry permits.

I for one don't think booze and guns mix well but find that individuals with carry permits exercise more caution than usual when packing a gun and will limit themselves to a small quantity of adult beverages if any at all.

I think 99% of the citizens that go to the trouble to get that permit can be trusted to be very careful with firearms.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
+1 to checking your state laws.

I do not know about your state. But if the type of establishment is not mentioned in the law, or they have not posted no weapons, then you can carry. But that is MY state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts