National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting too much in the way of news overload. We need some firearm discussions. So… Who has resumed their regular range trips? Rona got everyone hoarding ammo, anyone starting to spend some of that booty on the range?

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
Today we had a cookout over at my Dads hunting property. And we shot some 22lr. I took my Ruger single six and my SW victory. My son took his neos. My brother shoot his Glock 44. We shot at my pop up coyote. My Dad had fun shooting the single six. I shot my brother glock too. He shot my sw. I liked the glock. It felt good in my hands. And i shot it well. So.....maybe a Glock in my future.

·
Live Free
3,500 Posts
I only paused regular range trips when I moved. I try to be at the range at least twice a month. Shot 200 rounds of 9mm last weekend. About 60 rounds of Grendel the week before along with a couple hundred .22 LR. I don’t shoot like there is no issue getting more, but I keep shooting regularly. Popped off about 70 rounds of 10mm early in June. Once a month I spend the large part of a day doing some aspect of reloading; sometimes brass prep sometimes refilling my ammo stock. I don’t necessarily talk about it…I just do it.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just had a lack of time. I spent over $15k in reloading supplies this year. Much of my free time has been loading ammo in preparation for the summer. I am well stocked. I've been out there to test new guns and new loads mostly. I just finished my insurance policy update. Since my Nov update of last year, I sold off $5982 in guns I no longer wanted. I spent $15678 on new ones to replace them. That includes the 308 Axis I sold today. I spent a while on the phone with the guy and went through the history of it. He can't come back and say he didn't know. I was going to take some Henrys out this afternoon but I ended up doing some of the boy's chores so they could enjoy their 4th. I got tomorrow off so I will be going out tomorrow.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I am looking for ways to keep up proficiency without burning as much powder. The ammo shortage was a wake up call for me. I bought a .22 rifle and I am pretty well stocked on .22. I think I am going to get a pistol also. I also want to get one of these computerized home dry fire systems, like the Mantis X.

·
Jesus Saves
8,130 Posts
I went to the range last week and did some needed practice time. I brought 2 with me. My XDE 3.3 and my Ruger LCP22.

Had a blast and not one problem with either. I'm getting better with the XDE, better control and more consistency. I think I will need to start looking at buying more 9mm/22lr for these.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been going 1-2 X a month since my indoor club reopened last year, At least once a week once the State range re-opened after a remodeling project in March to one or the other.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Local shops are starting to catch up with demand, so I'll be getting out to shoot soon. Still hard to get some of the more popular rifle calibers, so it'll mostly be handguns and shotguns for the time being. A fortuitous turn of events last week lead to a total of 4 new additions to the collection that I need to take out to the range.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hit the range with three rifles today. First is my Swedish Mauser M/1938 which I recently added a scout mount setup to and a thread converter for a suppressor. All mods are completely reversible, nothing was done to the rifle that can't be restored to original configuration. Unfortunately the Burris Scout scope wouldn't adjust elevation up or down but I'm fully confident they will stand behind their product and repair it.

Next was the CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel. This was my first outing with it suppressed and it's a total joy to shoot. Current load on hand is shooting slightly more than MOA but with some tweaking I'm sure the groups will shrink. Even so I have no concerns about letting my youngest son use it this upcoming deer season to hopefully fill his first tag.

The Randy Newberg edition Howa 1500 in 6.5 C is the most accurate of the 3 easily shooting sub MOA with Hornady 140 ELD's . I shot it suppressed and didn't get a chance to do back to back shots with and without the suppressor. I spent too much time trying to sort out the Mauser issue and by the time I got to the Howa the wind was picking up and it was just getting too dang hot out here on the edge of the desert.

It was great to be on the range working on hunting setups. I've been shooting long range 22 matches these past few months so it's not like I've been a stranger to the place, I just haven't been doing much in the way of centerfire this past year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The plague didn't diminish range time, just the weather. We don't get out of the 30's until March/April-ish. I've been kind of discovering retro - a .45 Colt BH bought in November, and a Sharps .45-70 finally retrieved about end of May this year. The weather is fine, the (public) range is practically empty during the week (folks back to work), and I enjoy working up loads for each and testing them. The more different powders and charges, bullet weights, chronograph testing and accuracy testing the better.

The 1911, Shield 9, .38 snubs and AR are getting a bit lonely, but they had their time ;)

As to
...too much in the way of news overload ...
eh, I've long ago grown a carapace. News isn't new, just recycled with different words :sleep:

-jb, handles most everything. Except cold

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
I took the 10/22 out this eve. And played golf with it. Going to be in the 90's again the next 2 days. Had to have some fun before it got hot again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I never stopped going to the range. Got plenty of time in and no need for masks due to the fact that my club's ranges are all open air. Went through a couple of thousand rounds of pistol ammunition as well.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
From my previous post:

"Unfortunately the Burris Scout scope wouldn't adjust elevation up or down but I'm fully confident they will stand behind their product and repair it."

Over the July 4th 3 day weekend I contacted Burris Customer Service about the issue, Tuesday the 6th they sent an RMA number and shipping label. They received the scope yesterday and replaced the turrets immediately, today (13th) its en-route back to me.

No hassles and outstanding service.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Over the July 4th 3 day weekend I contacted Burris Customer Service about the issue, Tuesday the 6th they sent an RMA number and shipping label. They received the scope yesterday and replaced the turrets immediately, today (13th) its en-route back to me.

No hassles and outstanding service.
Always nice when a company treats their customers well, I just wish that kind of service was the rule, instead of the exception.

Reactions: RMLamp

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Been a few weeks but got out this morning and capped off 350 rounds or so. What ammo shortage?

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been a few weeks but got out this morning and capped off 350 rounds or so. What ammo shortage?
View attachment 125685
Nice!

I’m taking a break today. Cleaning up my ammo from the kitchen table and off my loading table. This was just from those two tables. Got to do my guest room next.

That’s all loaded or factory ammo except the one container of Creedmoor brass in the front. There’s probably close to that in the other room stacked up on the table

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
My son and i went out yesterday a little bit before it got hot to test fire our SW 10'S. He did better than me shooting his D/A one than i can shooting S/A. I told him take care of him self and keep the nerves healthy. ( Avoid neuropathy ) And hope he don't get arthritis. They both liked loads with unique over bullseye.

Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 20 of 28 Posts