National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Whitney Kennedy 1873-79 lever action that's missing some parts, cartridge lifter and magazine follower (also looking for parts schematic). I've tried all of the parts supply Dixie, Numrich, SxS ect., and have just about given up on finding them. Sooo, if anyone has one of these nifty rifles, and could be talked into renting these parts to me for one week so I can make machinist drawings I would offer to pay or trade gunsmithing or machine shop time.
I have a complete machine shop with CNC and EDM and have 40 years experience in tool & die and gunsmithing. If anyone is interested lets talk.
All help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I remember right I "think" the 1876 Winchester is vary similar to the 44WCF Whitney Kennidy Rifle,parts may interchange.Did you call http://www.e-gunparts.com and ask them?They have hunted down parts for me,it may take them a few weeks,but they will find it.Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am now in the market for some Whitney parts. I'm having the carrier block, carrier block clamp, trigger and lower tang reproduced. I'm sure that they will cost more than the gun will ever be worth there seems to be no supplier of parts to these rifles. Through accidental discovery I noticed the top cover screw and mainspring screw are both .20x17 tpi. Happens that a Winchester model 71 tang screw has the exact same thread and size but is too long. The tang screw on a Whitney is 1/4x27 tpi but as of yet I've found no duplicates in the Winchester line as I only have a 71 to pick and try parts from. Anyone have a list or partial list of screws from available guns that will fit or be shortened to fit the Whitney? Thanks in advance. I have a couple 45-60 parts now that I was hoping could be used in my 44s but have learned now I cannot so if anyone needs a cartridge block and loop lever for the 45-60 let me know. Thanks in advance.
Travis

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am now in the market for some Whitney parts. I'm having the carrier block, carrier block clamp, trigger and lower tang reproduced. I'm sure that they will cost more than the gun will ever be worth there seems to be no supplier of parts to these rifles. Through accidental discovery I noticed the top cover screw and mainspring screw are both .20x17 tpi. Happens that a Winchester model 71 tang screw has the exact same thread and size but is too long. The tang screw on a Whitney is 1/4x27 tpi but as of yet I've found no duplicates in the Winchester line as I only have a 71 to pick and try parts from. Anyone have a list or partial list of screws from available guns that will fit or be shortened to fit the Whitney? Thanks in advance. I have a couple 45-60 parts now that I was hoping could be used in my 44s but have learned now I cannot so if anyone needs a cartridge block and loop lever for the 45-60 let me know. Thanks in advance.Travis
I'm looking for Whitney parts . I also have extra parts if you haven't had the lower tang made yet I have a few that might be left over .

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a whitneyville armory 44 cal rifle, i believe it was after the whitney kennedy. patent date aug 12, 1879. i need receiver screws, magizine screw, forearm screw, upper and lower tang screws. also front and rear sights, forearm and butt stock with butt plate. length of screws and thread size would help alot as they might interchange with old winchester parts which are available. the stocks resemble my 1876 winchester. any and all help would be appriecated. J.R.

·
Registered
1 Posts
whitney kennedy 45-70

I'm looking for Whitney parts . I also have extra parts if you haven't had the lower tang made yet I have a few that might be left over .
im working on whitney 45 70 ..im missing some parts, I made most if them but like to find the cartrage lift , but would like original parts ,if anyone can help ,thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, just got registered on this site specifically for gaining information on the old Whitney Kennedy lever action rifles. I recently received my grandfather's octagonal barrel .45-.60 rifle and the action was stuck on it. On the exterior, the gun is in good condition but the insides need some work. The action is now operable but the firing pin is broken. The serial number on my rifle is E0718, and my gun has the closed style loop lever, which according to my research leads me to believe it was made around 1894-1895. Is there anyone who has a donor gun that would be willing to part with a firing pin? I will be getting the gun back from a local gunsmith next week, who glanced at it for me, and I will then be able to take it apart myself to see if there is more to it than just a pin, or if there is other parts associated with the pin that would need to be repairs. I guess I could always have a machine shop try to machine something for me as a last resort. My goal is to simply get it operational, do some cleaning but keep it original and shoot it a couple times with my dad while he's still around. From there it will just stay in the family.

·
Registered
14,919 Posts
Unless the firing pin is some really weird shape they are usually one of the easiest and cheapest parts made by a machinist of gunsmith. For a gun with virtually little or no parts available i would call this the first step rather than the last resort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless the firing pin is some really weird shape they are usually one of the easiest and cheapest parts made by a machinist of gunsmith. For a gun with virtually little or no parts available i would call this the first step rather than the last resort.
Thanks for the feedback. That would make complete sense. Once I get the gun back and disassembled, I'll see how simple the firing pin looks. Hopefully it's an easy piece to replicate by a local machinist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I just got my old Whitney .45-.60 back from the gunsmith and he was able to get the action free'd up and operating smoothly. However, he specializes is newer custom long distance shooting rifles and doesn't really normally machine firing pins or work on vintage firearms, so he elected to stop work on mine and suggest I continue to try and do some more research (which I appreciated his honest feedback). So the firing pin on mine is definitely broken and appears part of the original broken piece is missing. There is a talented local machinest who can probably machine the piece for me, but I would like to be able to give him the broken piece and some pictures and dimensions of the original firing pin so he can try to replicate it. Would anyone on this forum have drawings, or be willing to take a couple of good photos and measurements of their firing pin piece? This is the last thing I need to get the old girl firing again. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whitney Kennedy firing pin

The Whitney has a two piece firing pin. One is in the lever and the short piece is in the bolt. I can make both pieces for a 45-60 large frame. I have a 44 but have not taken it apart yet to see if it as a firing pin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts