National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how many folks will lose that little retainer piece that holds in the recoil spring? Plus is it really strong enough to not break over time?

My first thought as it dropped on the floor and I spent about 15 min trying to find that itty bitty piece was, should I order a dozen extras from Kel-tec before they run out?

Anybody have similar thoughts? My P3AT is the first generation model.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shipwreck said:
I have a Keltec 32 - never a problem...
I have the 32 also and thats where I first noticed that tiny piece and dug it out of the carpet.

I guess I just need to be more carefull when pulling them down for cleaning. Keep all the parts on a nice big table instead of sitting on the floor in front of the TV.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
After dropping mine once that was enough. Now when I take it down that little piece is taken out over the bench and is set aside till I am ready for it. :-B-:

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Before my 32 was destroyed by a buddies failed attempt at reloading (long explosive story) - I actually had ordered like a million extra retainers... I lost a few... even though I only clean and service my firearms on my smithing bench, I have big ol' clumsy fingers.

I believe I may still have a couple in a jar at home if you ever need one!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The second generation P3ATs don't have the separate spring retainer, although they have a small piece at the left rear of the receiver slide rails that will fall out. What the heck? I've noticed on the Ruger Kel-Tec clone that this piece on the slide is a manual slide hold open. On that note - I saw in the Guns and Ammo magazine that the Ruger LCP .380 is nominated as one of the three hand guns for hand gun of the year - and no mention of Kel-Tec, ever. The Ruger LCP 380 is a virtual clone of the Keltec, right down to double recoil spring, barrel shape and lugs, slide shape, hammer, trigger, internals, magazine, grip shape - only differences I can see are some slight changes to the grip surfaces and a beveling or melting to the front of the slide - what gives with this? How can Ruger get away with something this blatant and not be called on it?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
32 Magnum said:
The second generation P3ATs don't have the separate spring retainer, although they have a small piece at the left rear of the receiver slide rails that will fall out. What the heck? I've noticed on the Ruger Kel-Tec clone that this piece on the slide is a manual slide hold open. On that note - I saw in the Guns and Ammo magazine that the Ruger LCP .380 is nominated as one of the three hand guns for hand gun of the year - and no mention of Kel-Tec, ever. The Ruger LCP 380 is a virtual clone of the Keltec, right down to double recoil spring, barrel shape and lugs, slide shape, hammer, trigger, internals, magazine, grip shape - only differences I can see are some slight changes to the grip surfaces and a beveling or melting to the front of the slide - what gives with this? How can Ruger get away with something this blatant and not be called on it?
I would not be surprised if Ruger paid Kel-tec a royality for the rights to produce that version of the Kel-tec. Don't know that for a fact, but otherwise they may be exposed to a future lawsuit.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
sig232 said:
I would not be surprised if Ruger paid Kel-tec a royality for the rights to produce that version of the Kel-tec. Don't know that for a fact, but otherwise they may be exposed to a future lawsuit.
You know... there are a million pistols that look and function like others. I thought my P3AT was alright... but I think this LCP I have is a better quality. It shoots smoother, and simply feels better in my hand. Ruger is certainly a better firearm in my opinion.

Look at the S&W Sigma's - Exact copy of a Glock.
Look at the Bersa Thunder .380 - Exact copy of the Walther PPK.
Look at ALL THE 1911 copies on the market... so on and so-forth.

I have not seen anything really "New" or "Revolutionary" in design in decades, at least not in handguns.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Daddy said:
sig232 said:
You know... there are a million pistols that look and function like others. I thought my P3AT was alright... but I think this LCP I have is a better quality. It shoots smoother, and simply feels better in my hand. Ruger is certainly a better firearm in my opinion.

Look at the S&W Sigma's - Exact copy of a Glock.
Look at the Bersa Thunder .380 - Exact copy of the Walther PPK.
Look at ALL THE 1911 copies on the market... so on and so-forth.

I have not seen anything really "New" or "Revolutionary" in design in decades, at least not in handguns.
After a patent runs it life. Then anyone can copy it, I guess.

I always thought the Bersa 380 looked a lot like the Sig232 also. Nice gun for the money, the Bersa.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Take her into the hospital of any metropolitan area on a Friday night. Stand near the ambulance entrance.

My wife went started the process for her ccw the next day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts