National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting a tactical weapon, M-16,AR15,etc. I would only use this for home defense and plinking around. I am wanting something that I don't make the wife mad when she goes to look at the checkbook!! I want something that I can build up myself as far as scope,stock,sights,lights, whatever. I have looked at turning a Ruger 10/22 into one. I don't know anything about this rifle, but I know there is alot out there for it. I have figured I could get a gun, replacement stock and barrel for around $500. But you guys know what works, and what would be around what I am looking for. I appreciate any input from anyone as I am new to getting a gun of this sort. Thanks for all who help!!

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
Tactical, close range, simple, inexpensive? Remington 870 HD. You can accessorize it also--tac light, ghost rings, sling, speed-feed stock..........

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
We've conversed before on this forum, Mr. reddog89, about best rifle to hunt with in SE KY. I agree with Ram Rod that a Remington Mod 870 might be your wisest choice. The important thing, regardless what you decide ultimately to buy, is to get some competent instruction in how to handle, use and care for your firearm.

Please don't think I'm being patronizing, but reading your posts, you seem to have little knowledge about firearms. There's nothing wrong with that and by joining a forum such as this one you can gain a lot of knowledge in a short amount of time. But remember, what you're going to hear -- for the most part -- is the opinion and preference of an experienced shooter, not someone who specializes in firearms training.

If I had never drove or owned a motorcycle and decided to buy a decked-out Harley because I could afford it and a bunch of other guys told me it was the best bike around, do you think I might be asking for trouble? Same thing with firearms. Please try to hook up with someone who can train you right, not just load the gun and yank the trigger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think that if you were going to buy a 10/22 and add about $500.00 (at least) in accessories, why not go ahead and buy an ar-15. I don't know where you are, but in OK. you can usually find a good, new AR for around $700.00, than just start adding on from there. But, Like the previous person said, make sure that you know the ends and outs of the rifle, and make sure that you know how to use it. For home defense, the AR will not really suit your needs. This rifle was built for assault, not defense. Any old properly working shotgun will suit your home defense needs and with a pump you usually will not have to fire a shot (that pump is usually all you need). Good luck with your selection and I hope that you enjoy whatever you get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
onedrz said:
For home defense, the AR will not really suit your needs. This rifle was built for assault, not defense.

I have to disagree here...an AR can be used for either one...it doesnt really matter which...i would recommend that you get a SW AR-15...there is plenty of tactical equipment that you could equip it with...plus they are really accurate and reliable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My "defense rifle" is a shotgun.
Mossberg LE Tactical tricked out by AimPro. Heavy ported & polished barrel, ghost rings, action overhauled to smooth as butter.
Loaded with #4 buck will kill or put down any BG without killing granny sleeping 4 rooms away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does not have to be a remington 870. Pretty much any dependable PUMP shotgun will work. It does not have to be a rem 870... ar 15's are fun, and pretty accurate, but not home defense weapons, unless you pair it with a 12 Gage. good luck and if you get an ar 15, sightwonders.com has really good mounts and ar scopes at really good prices

·
Registered
811 Posts
reddog89 said:
I am interested in getting a tactical weapon, M-16,AR15,etc. I would only use this for home defense and plinking around. I am wanting something that I don't make the wife mad when she goes to look at the checkbook!! I want something that I can build up myself as far as scope,stock,sights,lights, whatever. I have looked at turning a Ruger 10/22 into one. I don't know anything about this rifle, but I know there is alot out there for it. I have figured I could get a gun, replacement stock and barrel for around $500. But you guys know what works, and what would be around what I am looking for. I appreciate any input from anyone as I am new to getting a gun of this sort. Thanks for all who help!!

For home defense I would go with Rem. 870 or Mossberg 12ga. and there are lots of fancy dohickies out there if you want to get creative.
That said if you want a fun plinker the 10/22 is a great starting point. Mine is nothing fancy and I have a lot of fun with it. A friend of mine has one with a bullpup conversion kit,red dot scope,and laser it looks pretty cool and he seems to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The beauty of the Ruger 10/22 is that you can take one and make a $1,200.00 target ace out of it or you can spend less than $300.00 on top of the $275.00 or so base price and make a really fun toy out of it.

For a few ideas on either theme, go to Midwayusa.com and do a search for 10/22, just as an example.

·
Registered
568 Posts
For home defence, and Ar15 is basically worthless. The whole point of home defence is to protect family. With a .223 FMJ, that sob will go through walls and keep going. It will take down an intruder, but... think what happens if you miss... Home defence would probably be best left to a 9mm or a 12 or 20 gauge... A 22lr could do the job, but i dont think it would be the best for HD.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Ram Rod said:
Tactical, close range, simple, inexpensive? Remington 870 HD. You can accessorize it also--tac light, ghost rings, sling, speed-feed stock..........
i dont know, they 870 prices are going up, i mean not real bad or anything, it's just you can get a Mossberg Maverick for 230 with a pistol grip and a 7 round tube...but this guy wants a rifle so we're both off.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
For home defence, and Ar15 is basically worthless. The whole point of home defence is to protect family. With a .223 FMJ, that sob will go through walls and keep going. It will take down an intruder, but... think what happens if you miss... Home defence would probably be best left to a 9mm or a 12 or 20 gauge... A 22lr could do the job, but i dont think it would be the best for HD.

Contrary to popular belief 5.56 is a pretty decent home defense round. Using M193 ball you do not get a great deal of penetration in walls and what not.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=26

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If overpenetration is not a concern, I would suggest a quality AK47 in 7.62x39. Cheap to shoot, extremely dependable, easy and cheap to modify, very effective, and you can pick them up for around $400. I had a Saiga AK type rifle in that caliber and loved it. I think you can pick those up new for under $300, what a bargain!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Call me old fashioned, the very best firearm for home protection is a shotgun. It has nothing to do with that internet chatter about "bad guys peeing their pants at the sound of the slide being racked". It has everything to do with putting 9 pellets of double ought (.32") into the bad guy with one trigger pull. Less chance of blowing a round through the wall and hitting a non-combatant. I am with everyone on the Remmie 870 or Mossy 500/590. I prefer to just leave them plan jane with the exception of tritium ghost rings. Couple the shotgun with a good solid sidearm, you will be able to fend off brain eating zombies all day...or would that be all night?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts