National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided upon 3 guns which I intend to own. Trouble is I have to save up for each one. So which one to get first? I intend to get:

Desert Eagle Mark XIX .50AE.
$1500
Pros; Visually impressive with superior stopping power.
Cons; High recoil & learning curve, expensive ammo.

IMI Tavor.
$2000
Pros; worlds newest most advanced assault rifle, cheap common cartridge size, easy to clean and maintain.
Cons: I'm not aware of any.

Kriss Vector
$2000
Pros: Easy learning curve, excellent classic caliber
Cons: Less stopping power than the Eagle

Decisions, decisions right?

·
Meister Jager
151 Posts
Any

Any is my Vote , depending on your current need to stop White Feightliner Trucks or something , then I would go for the 50AE Desert Eagle , but only if you have actually held one and felt how ungodly big they are in ones hand , and also if you have allot of experience fireing MASSIVE ROUNDS that kick like a Banchee :yikes1:
I like the Vectors too , very cool .........................
It's your Oyster , pick a Pearl and stick with it :cornut:

·
Super Moderator
10,967 Posts
They are collectors pieces. Not really for the avid shooter.

--Wag--

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thing is I intend to get all of them but it'll take a while to save for each. As for the large caliber it may take some getting used to but I'm a big guy so I figure I'll be able to handle it. I plan on getting all the barrels for the Eagle. I also plan on getting it tricked out with Holo-sights and a laser. I owned a 9mm for a few years and then had to pawn it but that was a long time ago. Now that my financial situation has improved I look forward to getting back into guns and shooting. Perhaps getting the Vector before the Eagle will help acclimate me to shooting bigger rounds but then comes the question of whether to get the Vector or the Tavor first.

·
Meister Jager
151 Posts
Hee hee hee

YOU WROTE " As for the large caliber it may take some getting used to but I'm a big guy so I figure I'll be able to handle it ".....

Hell , if I had a dollar for everytime that statement was uttered in my shop and ultimately failed the Speaker of said uttered masculinity statement , I would have retired years ago :lol:

A 9mm is not even a Pop Gun when compaired to the Big 50's , and the recoil is MASSIVE , and I mean Massive . If your not gun shy now, you will be :thumbsup:

I like what the Moderator said , these guns are not for an avid shooter . Sage advice there :thumbsup:

I hope you have a big Bank account too , have you priced 50 AE lately ? I could eat a month on what one box costs :crazy:

All that being said , it is your money and your Oyster , slurp it on down , the DE in 50AE is a very cool gun regardless if you need it or not . I would love to have a half dozen or more , but my priorities are a bit different than yours .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 6'1" and 220lb's. I've fired a 44 magnum though it was more than 15 yrs ago. I'm also in fairly good shape as I'm due to get out of the army next month. Most of my shooting experience is with shotguns and rifles but I do tend to hit what I shoot at. I also did fairly well with the 240, 249 & 50 MG. So you see it's not so much a masculinity statement, it's just confidence in what I believe I can do. As for the money it is a concern to me but I still want the gun. The Isreali's make some damn fine weapons.

·
Meister Jager
151 Posts
Indeed

I'm 6'1" and 220lb's. I've fired a 44 magnum though it was more than 15 yrs ago. I'm also in fairly good shape as I'm due to get out of the army next month. Most of my shooting experience is with shotguns and rifles but I do tend to hit what I shoot at. I also did fairly well with the 240, 249 & 50 MG. So you see it's not so much a masculinity statement, it's just confidence in what I believe I can do. As for the money it is a concern to me but I still want the gun. The Isreali's make some damn fine weapons.
Just to clerify , I wasn't trying to offend ya Godspanther , but I have heard those type of statements so many times about BIG GUNS , it actually made me laugh out loud and the Wife thought I lost my mind again :crazy:
With your backround you'll PROBABLY be fine :thumbsup:
The thing is about he BIG GUNS is it aint like shooting a .45 ACP , you better be thinking about hanging onto one when it fires or your face is gonna be wearing it , WORD .
I love the big boomers dont get me wrong , but it makes for short Range time with the beatings they produce on your hands . Take several other lighter calibers with ya is my point .
I don't know too many people who can endure a full box of .44 Mag let alone 50 AE ...While they have good knock down FPE , I would still just carry a .45 ACP , it has all the Crumple Factor you need . For Handgun Hunting though , the .44 Mag is hard to beat , Deer , Bear , whatever .
The .50 , well anything in North America :cornut:
Enjoy , and ya better post some pics when ya get it , LOL

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
I had a 454 Casull I bought for deer hunting. It lasted a couple years and I got tired of the violent blast, it just wore me out. Sold it and bought my S&W 44 mag which is more bearable.
Great choices and I am sure you will enjoy them. I have a few guns that really don't seem logical to own but they are cool. Thanks for your service and enjoy.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Well you are not me. Your choices are not my choices and I would never try to tell someone what guns to get. But, you did ask for opinions. Here are mine and they are no more or less valid than anyone else s.

DE 50s are nice guns... Mounted on the wall in a glass case. Great show pieces. Especially if you get them engraved. As a shooters gun... Not so much. You said you were in the Army. Go to the range master and talk him into letting you fire the Barrett 50. Fire 50 rounds standing off hand. That will give you an idea of how badly the DE is going to kick your fanny. I don't care how big you are it's going to kick your butt. Before you buy this gun find a good orthopedic surgeon who specializes in wrists and carpal tunnel. For a large caliber collectors gun that is also fun to shoot with out ripping the tendons in your wrist to ribbons I would recommend S&W 29-2 .44 Magnum Blue with the 8 3/8 in barrel. This is perhaps one of the best looking revolvers ever made. ( IMNSHO ) Accurate as anyone could want that is not trying to circumcise a gnat at 4000 yards. Because of the lower distance between the grips and the barrel it recoils much less than say a Ruger Super Red Hawk. I can and often do single hand the S&W 29-2. I wouldn't try that with a Red Hawk. And, since it is a 44 if you hit your target you will only need that one bullet.

IMI Tavor. First there is no such thing as an assault rifle. That is a nonsense phrase created by people who would strip us all of the constitutional rights that you work so hard and have sacrificed so much to defend. ( Thank you for that by the way. ) But onto the gun. First I am not a big fan of the Bullpup design in any fire arm. To me it seems that mag swaps are just awkward. You know better than I do that in a fire fight awkward is not a good option. For an advanced semi auto rifle I would prefer the Magpul Massada. This design was sold to Bushmaster and they market it under the name Bushmaster ACR. This platform brings an easy versatility to your weapons systems. Barrel changes are quick and simple and can be done with out tools. If you have 5.56 the ACR will fire it. If you have 7.62 in a matter of a few seconds you can make the changes that will allow the ACR to fire this round. Need a long barrel for long range shooting a few seconds and the ACR is a passable sniper rifle. Need a short barrel for room to room fighting in a few seconds with out tools your sniper rifle becomes an excelent short barreled weapon for room to room fighting. For a combat rifle you need versatility more than a fancy stock.

Kriss Vector. Here you may have something. I do like the Kriss but it has some disadvantages in my opinion. First I like the ergonomics of the HK USC much better than the Kriss. That does not mean the HK has good ergonomics it doesn't especially for a lefty, but I felt it was less awkward than the Kriss. With the Kriss I could not get a good cheek weld. The rail was too high in my view if you do go for the Kriss forget using pop up sights this gun was built for a red dot. Unfortunatley the one I was trying out did not have a red dot so I am not 100% on that either. Also my firing hand was right up in my face. My chin was almost touching my wrist and it just felt funky. The length of pull was very short and the one I was shooting was not adjustable. If you are have large biceps you may find this LOP to be uncomfortable. I am not Arnold but I am not Woody Allen either. If I were any bigger it may have been an issue. For function I had no real issues with it but it feels different. The Super V system that Kriss uses works noticeably well. The gun stays on target but the recoil feels weird. It's not really recoil... I can't describe it it's just different. That does not mean bad it just means different. If I were choosing a full auto carbine ( Other than a Thompson 1927 ) this would be it just because of the control ability of it. But since I don't have a class 3 I am stuck with semi.

Taking everything I got out of both guns in .45 cal semi I would choose the HK USC over the Kriss. Both are accurate both fed perfectly for the 500 rounds we spent. Neither one are comfortable guns to handle ( IMO but I am a lefty ) Over all the Kriss is probably a better weapon but for the 600 dollar price difference it is not that much better. In fact if I really really wanted a semi auto carbine like the Kriss or the HK what I would do is buy a 9mm upper for my AR-15. Now with the bump stock I have on that I would have what amounts to a fully automatic 9mm carbine. Let's rock!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,706 Posts
You have received some sound advice. It was delivered politely. Heed it.

None of the firearms you mentioned are 'beginners' firearms. (I once owned a Volkswagen Beetle. I think I'll purchase next a Rolls Royce, a Lamborghini or, maybe, a Ferrari.) Personally, I am not impressed.

Neither the size nor the cost of one's firearms relate, in any way, to the size of one's manhood. Neither do these factors have anything to do with one's shooting ability.

·
Super Moderator
14,148 Posts
I must be a wimp. I'm 6'2" and 240# and I don't even like shooting a 357 Mag. and without ears I won't pull the trigger on my 45 for practice. I do sorta like heavy duty shoulder arms like 30-06, 35 Whelen and 12, 10 ga for duck/goose hunting but the 308 Norma Mag. doesn't get much use these days.

I want to get a 45/90 or so someday but it'll be more of a novelty than anything else. I just like the idea of casting and loading that big ol cartridge.

I don't even like being around a 44 mag going off. I got other things to do besides getting brain damage from hand cannons.

Oh, this has nothing to do with the thread. I'm just throwing my 2 cents in cause I want to.

Alan

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
I learned to fly in a Cessna 150, not a B1. There is a reason for that.

I couldn't afford a B1.

·
Super Moderator
14,148 Posts
I learned to fly in a Cessna 150, not a B1. There is a reason for that.

I couldn't afford a B1.
That's the same reason I didn't marry a movie star. Well, not entirely the same reason.

Alan

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I almost bought a DE in .50 AE myself, I had been calling every LGS in my area and found that had one in stock. Ended up falling in love with a 1911 as soon as I walked into the shop lol. I still held the DE, and I gotta be honest, it felt FANTASTIC! I don't have particularly large hands, but gripping it did feel nice :D
I'm also 6'1", weigh in at a MASSIVE 170 lbs. LOL. Shooting that monster would likely yield unwanted results for me though, as in a DE imprint on my forehead lol. They are of pretty good quality from what I understand, I'm personally not a fan of the newer ones just because Kahr arms owns Magnum Research now, and I simply do not like Kahr arms...personal bias. I like the older ones though.
IMO, if you are determined to have a large caliber handgun that you want to use, get like a S&W .460 X-frame revolver, if you don't wanna shoot .460, that's fine, pop in a .454 or a .45 LC. The joys of multi-cal firearms! If you must have the big .50, get the S&W .500 magnum, there are some weaker loads for that as well. If you want a big gun now but don't have a big bank roll, check out the Taurus Raging Bull in .500 magnum or .454 Casull, both big on power. I'm no real fan of Taurus, but from what I understand they've stepped it up in quality a lot recently.

The Tavor is also a really nice choice, I love bullpup guns! I don't know a whole lot about it being that it's new and I live at work but me and my boss have been eyeballin' em' for a little while now lol. They seem to have really nice features, I like the integrated sight system.

The Kriss Vector *Homer Simpson moment of the day* GLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH *insert drool here*.
Going to get it in SBR form, rifle or pistol? I'm fond of the pistol myself, and if you ever decide to go class III all you have to do to make it an SBR is pop a stock on it :D expensive though.
I like the Super V recoil system as well, while I haven't personally fired it, my boss has, and he literally fell in love with it, and is about to buy one here in the next couple months.
I also like the fact that .45's are cheaper than .50's :D

Let us know what you buy first and post some pictures ^^

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
I shot a DE .50 once and after 2 shots i gave it back to the owner with a very sore hand. I would like to own one too but for every reason i can think of to get one i come up with 5 not to...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a 454 Casull I bought for deer hunting. It lasted a couple years and I got tired of the violent blast, it just wore me out. Sold it and bought my S&W 44 mag which is more bearable.
I just learned that lesson recently when I bought a S&W 329 PD .44 Mag, which is titanium and scadnium and VERY light, and with the 4" barrel, it fast becomes a BEAST to shoot. It came with a set of wood grips, but they'd (literally, I kid not) leave a groove in my palm when I shot this thing. It was fun because when you broke this guy out, it was like that scene in Robocop at the shooting range -- EVERYBODY is looking at you with a what the hell is he shooting? look on their face.

However, it's not all that fun to shoot, and it sucks going home with sore hands. This was one of those purchases where I saw it, fell in love, and just had to have it. Had I researched it more, I would never have bought it; I'd likely have a Super Redhawk or a heavier Smith variant (like the .45 ACP, I also have a special place in my heart for the .44 REM MAG).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Rather have a socom II than any of those.
I don't like the quad rail on the Socom II; I've always felt it would require the use of gloves when firing consistently because the rails would shred the hands up with the punchy .308 round's recoil.
Give me the Socom 16 or even an M1 Scout, which is badass in a different way.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Springfield, I met a guy in the woods who had one of those 329s. Lighter than I could have imagined, and then he told me he shoots hard cast 300-grain handloads in it for bear. But I looked at his hands, and you could see how many scars he had from getting bitten by it. I handed it back unfired.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts