National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a nice carry gun and have taken a liking to the colt defender and kimber pro carry II. Which one would you get and why? They both seem to be very nice firearms. I would get both but the $ is an issue now.

Thank you for your advice.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
MP86 said:
I am looking for a nice carry gun and have taken a liking to the colt defender and kimber pro carry II. Which one would you get and why? They both seem to be very nice firearms. I would get both but the $ is an issue now.

Thank you for your advice.

I have been shooting the Kimbers for a good number of years now and own three. I would choose the Kimber. They are building many more than all the other companies combined and do a top job. The Kimbers are dead nuts accurate and reliable.

I also have an older colt Gold Cup from the 1970s and its a top quality pistol also. I am not a big fan of the current crop of colt pistols. I would choose a Springfield as an alternative. If money was a big deal I might look at the Rock Island brand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Luck finding a Colt Defender, I can't seem to keep them in stock. If you like the Kimber Ultra Ten II (3.1" barrel, 10rd mag, .45acp, polymer&alum frame) you might take a look at the Bul M-5, same no longer available gun (from Kimber anyway) uses the Kimber 10 rd mags, costs less and the original Kimber Ultra Ten II's were originally built for them by: Bul in Isreal. This gun is imported by Charles Daly for Bul M-5, I sell em for $569, which is a good deal less than I paid for my Kimber Ultra Ten II Used!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Kimber, hands down.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm not try trying to be contrary, but I wouldn't get either one. I've been carrying concealed for 25 years, and I don't believe in going single action when your life counts on the first shot. There's a lot of John Wayne wanabees out there that swear by 1911 type guns both large and small. They might be great for pistol matches and nostalgia but you might want to really think about going all double action or at least double/single. I know that a Glock is not as glorious as a 1911, but when it comes down to a gun street fight in this millennium, I'd go with an all double in Sig, Glock or even a Smith. A carry gun is real serious business. Get every advantage available. Go with your head not your heart! Good luck.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
coach1299 said:
I'm not try trying to be contrary, but I wouldn't get either one. I've been carrying concealed for 25 years, and I don't believe in going single action when your life counts on the first shot. There's a lot of John Wayne wanabees out there that swear by 1911 type guns both large and small. They might be great for pistol matches and nostalgia but you might want to really think about going all double action or at least double/single. I know that a Glock is not as glorious as a 1911, but when it comes down to a gun street fight in this millennium, I'd go with an all double in Sig, Glock or even a Smith. A carry gun is real serious business. Get every advantage available. Go with your head not your heart! Good luck.

There is a reason that the 1911 is still the choice of the professionals in the LEO ranks of the US and many specialized military groups. They are the about the easiest to bring into action and one of the most accurate pistols available today. But..........that said they are not for amateurs, a single action can be dangerous in inexperienced hands. The draw, click off the safety and a light trigger will empty that pistol very quickly.

The double action handguns have a heavy trigger pull and in a combat situation most folks will pull the gun off target and that is why so many rounds are fired by LEOs when the adrenaline is flowing. I own Sig, I own the Glocks, and many others but for a serious gunfight I hope I have a 1911 in my holster. Just my humble opinion. ;)

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
coach1299 said:
I have to respectfully disagree as well. When the first shot has the same trigger pull as all the other shots, it makes it much easier to keep that first shot where you want it. A double/single (Such as a Beretta 92F) has that first shot as double action which makes a lot of the first rounds pull to one side, while their follow-up (single action) shots are on target. As a verteran LEO, I would much rather carry a 1911 into combat than any other type handgun...anyday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive put alot of rds thru my old colt def. great for carry but when praticing the recoil becomes substancial. left a mark in my hand from the grip safety for two days after a 300 rd afternoon.grip was/is fixable but went to full size instead.couldnt hit anything w/the defender guy i sold it to loves it.personal preference i guess.trigger pull on singles is definately nicer but nothing muscle memory and pratice wont fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts