National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the dealer let me hold the guns and i really like how lighter the glock 19 is and the way it feels in my hand. easier to point, aim and shoot as oppose to the springfield, which is really heavy like a 1911. but i dont know "if it feels good in my hands" is good enough reason to get a gun. the Springfield XD might be safer because the grip safety.

·
Live Free
4,182 Posts
Try em both if you can find a gun shop/range that has guns you can try. Then maybe you won't like either one. But you will never really know until you try em! If it feels right to you, that is a good start, but actual usage can be a game changer. BTW, I am just the opposite in regard the two pistols you mention...have never liked Glocks personally. Both are good pistols, but I would try em first if you have any opportunity to do that, and then try a few others too!

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Peoples who don't like glocks will tell you "anything but a glock"
it's my opinion, my personal experience of them after handling one I didn't like glock . after firing one at the range I was glad I didn't buy one.

Some other peoples would swear up and down the isle of a church that it's the best gun money can buy

You have to figure it out

Edit: Any reasons you want a strike fire gun?

·
Aim true !
13,285 Posts
Exactly as Aged warrior said. That is what i meant by ford or chevy. You have to find what works for you. I have 3 9mm. Getting one in 1911 also this summer.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
If it feels good in your hand, this is one step of whether or not you're going to like shooting it. Weight, do you like the weight of it. Do you like the caliber n magazine capacity would follow. Design or how it looks would fall in there somewhere too - usually for me this is first. Do you like the functions of the firearm, would the controls be easy for you to reach n operate. Next buy it and "test drive" it st the range. You like it keep it, you don't sell it. If there is s range that rents firearms try them both out if the range has them. You're only true safety is your finger, keep it off the trigger.

For me I would get the Glock out of those two.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
better?

glock has a well established reputation and service record.........and is dominant in LEO circles as an issued weapon or personal purchase weapon.....

springfield in my opinion though not as wide=spread, they are a decent firearm with excellent features. I do like the grip safety, loaded chamber indicatior, and ambi mag release.....for those reasons alone i would probably lean more towards Springfield.......though i have yet to try out a gen 4 glock 19 or 23....and i want to.

Reactions: glewisme

·
Registered
278 Posts
Greetings...

The real question doesn't sound like it's about brands or models...
Would you ask the same question about shirts? Shop around. You might fall in love with Rugers or Smiths instead...

Personally I hate glocks. I think they are just plain butt-ugly. I also hear they are typically wonderful amazing pistols.
Never heard anything bad about the XD either.

As someone else suggested, find a range where you can rent different makes and models.
Try before you buy...

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Between those two, the Springfield is the safer gun to carry. Glocks, for many, are accidental discharges waiting to happen. Not because you're careless, just because you're human, and the design is inherently idiotic. Glock owners that haven't had an accidental discharge aren't necessarily more careful, although they might be, I think they're just lucky ... so far.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
You'll get a thousand answers none of them right and none of them wrong. I personally like the XD line. I have 6 different XD's and I dislike Glock. When I bought my first XD I rented the XD, Glock and M&P all at the same time and shot them one magazine each rotating guns so my hand wasn't more tired for one than the other. Only took 1 magazine through the Glock to know I didn't like and a second magazine to know I hated it. I didn't waste any more ammo in the Glock and put a couple hundred rounde each through the M&P and XD. Both were great but the XD just fit my hand better.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,955 Posts
You've just begun shopping if you've only held two different pistols. Hold every pistol in the shop. Then go to three other shops and hold every pistol they have. Don't forget to hold every used pistol they have for sale. Take notes about each pistol. Then go to a range and rent as many of the pistols that caught your attention. Now you have a personal data base. It will tell you which pistol to purchase.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Fords are better.

·
Registered
856 Posts
You could take that Glock 19, toss it in a volcano after it's been through a tree shredder, eaten and digested by a great white, buried for 20 years and dropped from an airplane and it would still work..

You should have caught a hint of sarcasm there..

As mentioned in many posts above, find the one that fits your hand. Don't limit yourself to just those two options because although they are both good well made firearms that will work, there's many others out there.

And just for the record, Ford rules..

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Did you by chance marry the first girl you kissed? It is kinda that way with guns of all sorts. There are so many varieties on the market. First you have to find one that feels good in your hand. The narrow the field down the guns that shoot good for you. Never take another shooters opinion as the grail. We all have different bodies. Go slow enjoy the hunt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.