National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and I am looking to get a good deer rifle. I haven't shot enough to just go buy one, I would like input. I want a good long range rifle maybe a 30-06. But which one!!! I really don't want to spend a fortune but want something that I can count on putting meat on the table!! I would appreciate your comments!!

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
In Texas, the Remington Model 700 in 7MM Magnum seems to be a favorite in hunting Whitetail Deer.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
reddog89 said:
I am a new member and I am looking to get a good deer rifle. I haven't shot enough to just go buy one, I would like input. I want a good long range rifle maybe a 30-06. But which one!!! I really don't want to spend a fortune but want something that I can count on putting meat on the table!! I would appreciate your comments!!
I would go up and take a good look at Savage and get one of their package deals. Good hunting. :D
Here's a link. :D

http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mr. Reddog89.

Without knowing where you are and what kind a hunting you're going to do, it's a little like "what's your favorite gun" -- everyone's going to tell you what they or folks they know use. Knowing the terrain and the average distance shot really makes the choice easier. Good example would be the reliable, over 100 year-old .30-30. Great deer gun that's probably put more meat on the table than any other. If you're in heavily wooded area, that might be a great choice. Well out here where I am, they're not that great a choice. Long shots and lots of hills and mountains demand more power.

If there's a gun club where you are, you might hang out and meet some folks or just talk around to find out who is experienced hunting the area you intend to go. Or maybe if you mentioned where you are, we might have some member who knows that area and could help out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I am in southeastern kentucky and the daniel boone national forest is all around me. I may be gettin in to some rough terrain when I go out hunting white tail. I also have been told there are a number of bear near where I will be hunting so I would like to have something that has a good kick when it hits!! I would like a gun that I can take shot out to about 350 yds. if needed, but most of the shots will be around 200 yds. I hunt in any weather so it needs to take some abuse. thanks for the input so far, it is already helping.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Well, if you're willing to put out the time and money for practice and ammo, a .30-'06 or any of the WSMs (.270 , .7mm, .300, or .325 Winchester Short Magnum) would sure do the job. Again, not knowing what kind of experience or training you have, it's a little rough to make a recommendation. But, as I say, you don't mind plopping down a few bucks for the gun and plenty of ammo to ensure that you can do some good on a 200 to 350 yd shot, it can be done. Just so that you know, for all the talk and bravado, there are damn few shooters who can accurately place a 350 yard shot under hunting conditions. It's even a chore on the range.

So any of the calibers above, or the original .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, or .300 Win Mag will definitely do the job, as long as the hunter is up to it.

Don't know if that helps any, but good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
my favorite is .270 win for deer. flat shooting, long range missile with little recoil for accurate kill shots. my next comment should stir argument but for ME, when shooting larger calibers like 30-06 at CLOSE RANGE (-50 yrds) the high power heavy bullets doesnt seem to expand large enough on thinskin animals with just a passthrough letting them sprint a bit before dropping, longrange is perfectly fine. the .270 130 gr. seems to do its job near or far for deer. they either drop or take their last few steps. I use Winchester Supreme ballistic silvertips .270 130 gr. and dont mind that my deer is missing a few ribs from the exit wound :D but with a 30-06 you can kill anything in N. America but just for ME deer at close range will live about 10 secs longer and they can be far in 10 secs. Remington, Savage, Winchester, Marlin, and even CZ all make great quality good priced hunting rifles

·
Registered
811 Posts
I also live and hunt in Ky.
Depending on where Im hunting I use either a 30-30 or 7mm.
Most of my shots have been under 50 yards but I prefer to brush hunt
over hunting open fields and strip mines. I used to hunt alot with a .270
but I sold it [didnt need 3 deer rifles,Dont hunt as much as I used to]
For a first gun I would recommend one of the Remington or Savage scope/gun combos.
30-06 is good versatile round.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in NE Oklahoma and the 270 is definately the most popular. Now if you want a good target, hunting, + long range.. I would definately look at CZ brand rifles. I just bought one for about $800, floated the barrell (very easy) and layed in glass (also not hard). Now that rifle is outshooting all my remington and savage rifles. Good Luck with your choice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends on what type of terrain you will be hunting most but the 30:06 is a very well rounded rifle - personally i have a Weatherby and I love it.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Go with the 30.06 or the 270. Don't get sucked into the magnum/short magnum BS. Either one of those traditional calibers can do pretty much anything you neeed to do in the lower 48 as far as big game. If you were going exclusively for antelope, mulies elk, or Alaskan bear, then maybe something like the 7mm mag or 300 Win Mag would make sense. Other than that The 30.06 or the 270 has you covered, and the 30.06 would probably cover you anyway if the occassion arises for one of those big hunts. They also have a 30.06 light mag available if you need to go hotter, or you can hand load (or have someone hand load for you) and be right up there with a 300 mag if need be. As far as the 30.30, Id say skip it because it's pretty much limited to eastern deer hunting up to 200 yards. The 30.06 or the 270 can do that and also be used out west for the longer shots with more power.
One last thing: I had a friend in Casper Wyoming who hunted Kodiak bear in Alaska (fly in drop off and style) with a 30.06 and he never came back without one. Good luck!

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
This thread looks relatively old, so I am not sure if it is still active. However, I'll throw my thoughts in anyway. My first deer rifle was a .30-06. My thought process was pretty much the same as what you have seen posted previously. It will take down just about any large game in the States. One thing that I don't see anyone yet mentioning is optics. If you are planning on taking shots out to 350 yards, you will need to have good optics. Your typical 3-9x40mm will make an accurate shot much more difficult than a scope with better zoom. The last recommendation I would make is, since you hunt in all elements, you will probably want to go with a synthetic stock of some sort. The CZ is a beautiful weapon, and I own one myself, but you probably wouldn't be to happy if on your first trip out you had to subject it to a downpour and a few drops. For rugged reliability, definitly stick with a synthetic stock.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,702 Posts
Your typical 3-9x40mm will make an accurate shot much more difficult than a scope with better zoom.
It is possible that my 3-9x40mm rifle scopes are atypical but this statement makes no sense to me.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify my position. In my experience, the key to consistent accuracy is repetition of the sight picture. The longer distance of the shot, the larger your reticle will appear in relation. If you have a scope with maximum magnification of 9x, at a range of 350 yards, the reticle will cover a large portion of the game (or target). This is, of course, assuming the reticle is the traditional "cross-hair." Now, I've never taken my 3-9 after game at distances over 100 yards, to be quite honest, but that is the effect I've noticed at the range. Someone who has been shooting since they were old enough to hold a gun would be much more likely to be able to accurately take a game animal with such a scope. But for a first gun, and at shooting distances of 350 yards, I think that a scope with a greater magnification would be much better suited to a new shooter. But, like I said, I've never gone after game at that distance, so I could be way off base. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if I was way off base.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can't really go wrong with .30-06 for shots up to and including 300 yds. But if you have anything further than that, you might like a mag rifle. I have shot a .300 Win Mag and it does a pretty good job. Just depends on your preference, if you have a chance to shoot any. .308 Win isn't a bad choice either, probably about equal to the .30-06 to 300 yds. I hunt in eastern Washington farm hills, and the longest shot I have seen out of the 8 of us that hunt there for the past 5 years was about 400 yds with a .30-06. I was standing right next to the guy who shot it somehow. I don't know what model gun he was using, but it was a .30-06. A good bolt action or pump gun in .30-06 you'll be fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the .30-06 will be fine if shots aren't too long. I live in the east where we don't have to worry about shots longer than 200 yards. I'd also agree with getting a synthetic stock if the elements are a problem, maybe even a stainless/ synthetic combo if you expect lots of rain. I've preferred the Remington 700, CZ 550 American, and the Ruger MK77. Try as many quality 06's as you can and see which one fits you best and has the options you like. You can find a really nice hunting rifle for less than $700.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Keep it basic

I just picked up three Savage 111's bolt action rifles for my sons and I. I did a lot of research (including a lot of help from the forum), and no one could say anything bad about Savages. My main question was about the Accu Trigger feature, which was overwhelmingly recommended. Any of the major manufacturers such as Winchester, Remington, Browning, Ruger, and others would be fine, but I was confident that the Savage would give me the most bang for the buck. A recent article in Guns and Ammo September issue praised the Savage's, and supported that they shoot as good out of the box as more expensive rifles.
I was also trying to keep the price down because I needed three scoped high power rifles. I bought them at Dick's Sporting Goods, and had Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40 scopes mounted and bore sighted ar no additional cost. We're going to sight them in at the 150 or 200 and stick with Federal Premium 150's. that should keep everything uniform and simple. As far as caliber, I felt that 30.06, or .270 was the way to go because they're time proven and easy to get. As far as 30.30's go, I have nothing bad to say, but I think a 30.06 can do anything that a 30.30 can do, but a 30.30 can't do everything a 30.06 can do. Good luck!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,702 Posts
You chose wisely, coach.

Course, that's just my opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personally have a 270 and a 308 for hunting deer. When I was younger I used a 338 win mag and it did the job to perfection but was a little overkill for deer. But it was excellent for moose and elk as well so it kinda was a utility rifle. But now I wouldn't use such a heavy hard recoil rifle and stick with rounds like the 270, 308 and 30.06. Can't go wrong with those at reasonable ranges.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts