National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what shotgun should I get if I am hunting some BIG game. Im not talking what gauge more of what manufacture? I want something dependable that will last a long while.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I think pretty much any 12 gauge with a fully rifled bbl should do the job. The main thing you have to consider when slug gun hunting is distance from the animal and type of ammo used. Remember you're using a shotgun and not a rifle. A good quality sabot slug from a rifled bbl should be used on deer sized game at no more than 200 yards away.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maser said:
I think pretty much any 12 gauge with a fully rifled bbl should do the job. The main thing you have to consider when slug gun hunting is distance from the animal and type of ammo used. Remember you're using a shotgun and not a rifle. A good quality sabot slug from a rifled bbl should be used on deer sized game at no more than 200 yards away.
200 yards is about the absoulte maximum effective range of a 12 gauge. anything further and your just wounding.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200 yards with a shotgun slug ? 1 ounce of lead. muzzule velocity of 1550 ft/sec. 3" shell hmmmmmmmmm. does any one have the drop at 200 yds. for a slug zeroed at 100 yds?a 1 ounce projectile, 1000 grains zeroed at 50 yds. would be 3." low at 100 yds. put another way . look at the ballistics of a .30.30 win. zeroed at 100 yds. with a 170 grain bullet is down 17.1 " at 200 yds with a muzzle velocity of 2200 ft/sec. the slug would be down over 3 ft!!. to zreo that slug at 200 yds. you're going to be way high at 150 yds. to say anything over 200 is just wounding? you have about 0 to 75 yds. on a whitetail to hold a stedy point of aim maybe! and i'm being real generous with the good ole shotgun. even the best sabot slugs in the finest rifled barrels only perform to a certain distance and then the heavy projectile and slow velocity take over and the drop is even greater than shown on ballistics tables. this based completely on muzzle velocity, i.e. 1550ft./sec. in some minds transfers into 3100 ft./sec. in 2 seconds from the muzzle. nada. the only sure way for any of us to see how a load performs is a lot of test firing.the projectile starts slowing the instant it leaves the muzzle.i wouldn't think the average hunter should take a shot at a deer at 200 yds. with a 30.06 .sorry thats my opinion pblsyd

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had always thought that 50/60(max),was the opti 4 a slug not sure about sabots but I figure @ 50 you,d be at a good range that u could place an accurate shot ,clean kill without destoying the flesh to much! over a hunderd metres, Pick up the Bolt action ;)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are right exxit. iwas being real generous when i said out to 75 yds.it's still a shotgun 200 yds. the average person should not be shooting at a deer with a scoped rem. mod.700 30.06 at 200 yds.i really think we owe it to the game we hunt,not to try things like this.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sabots are better through a rifled slug barrel. much better thanthe old brenneke or foster rifled slugs. the main problem is the weight of the slug.you just can,t fight gravity. the slug weighs 7/8 to 1 oz. with a muzzle velocity of 1600 to 1850 ft./sec. do the math. there is no 200 yd. 12 ga. shotgun slug gun!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts