National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm somewhat new to the forum, only posted once previously in 2018. Back then i was looking at rifles, and now i finally got a Browning X bolt chambered in 7mm rem mag coming in :) I do already own 2 shotguns that i got from my late stepdad, but this was new territory for me purchasing one online going through an FFL.
I would like to join a group and help support our second amendment rights, but I'm having trouble finding a group that is more "moderate" leaning with their political ideology.

For example, personally imho, I don't think the Red Flag statute is necessarily a bad idea. I believe it could be implemented better -- to make it more difficult for multiple people to conspire ingeniously against another and prevent them from acquiring a weapon on baseless reasons, but i don't think the core idea behind it is a bad one. I believe if multiple people can provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt that someone will be a danger to themselves or others if they acquire a firearm, something should be in place to prevent that from happening. Also that in the event the statue is invoked, there should be a board or some impartial group that reviews it on a case by case basis.

That being said, I also FULLY support gun stores being deemed "essential" and allowed to stay open--if they choose--during the pandemic.

I could go on with my views, but you get the gist of it. I'd prefer this post to primarily be about gun groups rather then political debates, but if you wish to debate please feel free

I looked at a few of the big name groups out there, but they all seem to appose any and all new regulations on firearms. I would like to support a group that stands up for and promotes our second amendment, lobbying to remove past and future irrational gun control measures, but is willing to not paint every piece of gun control legislation the same color with blanket rejection of firearm control, and for lack of a better phrase, wont throw the baby out with the bathwater (ie, throw out a good piece of legislation that will make us safer, along with the plethora of bad gun control bs legislation) A group that reaches across the isle would be right up my ally

I can understand the lens others will have, that there is no such thing as a good piece of gun control legislation.
Though I do not hold that view, I stand firm in your right to hold it

Any input welcomed (including those who agree to disagree), and thank you for your time

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,086 Posts
I suggest .....

National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation

One thing to keep in mind is, many of those "common sense" gun control proposals won't do anything to reduce violence with firearms. They are simply designed to make it more difficult and costly for law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights. If you believe there is a valid gun control proposal out there, ask us for our opinions about that proposall and how it could impact your Constitutional rights.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
the NRA is the most visible, most hated by liberals/democrats, and considered the most powerful gun lobby.

The NRA is the most hated and frequently mentioned in mainstream media almost every other day...the democrats are always blaming the NRA for its opposition.......i like that. Some will say the NRA has been soft on some issues on a rare occasion and negotiate. Those whom do not like such talking and negotiating frequently join the GOA as they have a take no prisoners attitude and do not negotiate, bend, or sway........

The GOA has far less news coverage and not frequently mentioned in main stream media......they are not hated as much as the NRA by the liberals....the whole country knows what the nra letters stand for......not many are aware of goa... it is literally brand recognition......The GOA has been known to attack the NRA to poach membership as it views the NRA as "soft"....for these actions i will not forgive nor join GOA.....i do not want a weakened NRA at the hands of the GOA.

the GOA has won some major gun rights cases in courts...which is where their strength is......the courtroom. Think of the GOA as precise, compact, and focusing their resources and strength.

the NRA is large and strong........but spreads itself out considerably more. They are in the courts winning cases and do a lot of lobbying. The NRA probably has more influence on elections. They also have many other programs and distractions that are are consuming funding....and personally i think they are suffering from corporate sprawl.....they have become too big for their britches...They need to consolidate and focus. The NRA is always begging for money.

pick your ground...........

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,161 Posts
If you are interested in joining a group that wants to limit your rights, then the NRA is probably right up your alley.
sarcastically.... The NRA has been labelled a "terrorist" organization by the left.................. so if ya wanna really piss 'em off join and make it obvious

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
yep....San Francisco and a few other law makers and govt officials publicly labeled and designated the NRA as a terrorist group.......and that brought wrath from members and non-members alike.....the politicians backed down.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,333 Posts
As many as you can afford.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you are interested in joining a group that wants to limit your rights, then the NRA is probably right up your alley.

That is just one of the reasons i didst renew my membership this year. I did join the GOA as they seem to use money to fight court battles instead of wardrobes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello! I'm somewhat new to the forum, only posted once previously in 2018. Back then i was looking at rifles, and now i finally got a Browning X bolt chambered in 7mm rem mag coming in :) I do already own 2 shotguns that i got from my late stepdad, but this was new territory for me purchasing one online going through an FFL.
I would like to join a group and help support our second amendment rights, but I'm having trouble finding a group that is more "moderate" leaning with their political ideology.

For example, personally imho, I don't think the Red Flag statute is necessarily a bad idea. I believe it could be implemented better -- to make it more difficult for multiple people to conspire ingeniously against another and prevent them from acquiring a weapon on baseless reasons, but i don't think the core idea behind it is a bad one. I believe if multiple people can provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt that someone will be a danger to themselves or others if they acquire a firearm, something should be in place to prevent that from happening. Also that in the event the statue is invoked, there should be a board or some impartial group that reviews it on a case by case basis.

That being said, I also FULLY support gun stores being deemed "essential" and allowed to stay open--if they choose--during the pandemic.

I could go on with my views, but you get the gist of it. I'd prefer this post to primarily be about gun groups rather then political debates, but if you wish to debate please feel free

I looked at a few of the big name groups out there, but they all seem to appose any and all new regulations on firearms. I would like to support a group that stands up for and promotes our second amendment, lobbying to remove past and future irrational gun control measures, but is willing to not paint every piece of gun control legislation the same color with blanket rejection of firearm control, and for lack of a better phrase, wont throw the baby out with the bathwater (ie, throw out a good piece of legislation that will make us safer, along with the plethora of bad gun control bs legislation) A group that reaches across the isle would be right up my ally

I can understand the lens others will have, that there is no such thing as a good piece of gun control legislation.
Though I do not hold that view, I stand firm in your right to hold it

Any input welcomed (including those who agree to disagree), and thank you for your time
Gun Owners of America, No Compromise Since 1975....doesn't ever cave to the antis like NRA has been known to do...like Harley-Davidson, The US Marines and Rolls-Royce, GOA isn't about being or making the most: it's about being the BEST!

·
Registered
590 Posts
As many as you can afford.
Yeah, I love the way people who get a large Mocha Creme Latte, every morning, "can't afford" membership dues, which are about 17 cents a day. If you support Olympic Shooting, you help raise awareness of the sport.
Vote, vote, vote, and take a noob to the range, shooting, whenever you can.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Second Amendment Foundation is the least prone to egregious expenditure and counter-productive PR and the most effective in rolling back illegal infringement on our rights, as protected in the Second Amendment, through old fashioned hard work in the judicial system.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
"For example, personally imho, I don't think the Red Flag statute is necessarily a bad idea."

I have in previous post declared that I believe that so-called "red flag laws" are one of the most dangerous anti-gun laws in the books today, yes, politicians can write a law that is fair and protect the law abiding, but, even if such law is in the books (None of the present "red flag" laws are fair ), that fact that it is there allows another politician to add amendments that will make it unfair.
For example, I do not own a bump stock, I do not care to use one, but, that does not means that in the proper circumstances people should be allowed to own them. Once you start limiting a Right, it won't take long for such right to be take from the citizens. There are a lot of people who because they do not like something they are of the opinion that no one should own that something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts