National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick one of the two...not anything that's not pictured.

Left: .308 WIN (7.62x51mm), Right: .30-06 SPRG (7.62x64mm)

G

·
Now I honestly can not say I prefer one over the other. I love both cartridges, but the 06 has the edge, although a slight one. Either will do anything I need for them to do! They are my two favorite big game cartridges.

·
Registered
648 Posts
30-06. It will do anything that the .308 will and then some.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
owtlaw said:
30-06. It will do anything that the .308 will and then some.
Yup. And then QUITE some more.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I pretty much have .308 performance etched into my brain. .30-'06 is similar but not the same. With my wimpy, re-built shoulders, I'll have to go with the .308

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I like the 30-06! Its got that long in the tooth history and you can find more ammo deals. It has the ability to carry some heavy grain bullets for big bear if you need some big medicine!

Hunters in Oregon will tell you there is a big difference between the two calibers in putting down big ELK! The 06 is the winner in that department. For sniper use the 308 is a nice cartridge!

G

·
I have to vote for the .30-06 because of the two, it's the one I own and use. But I must admit that .308 cartridge looks nice!

G

·
:cool: When I hunted, I always used the '06--

--Now, I have three Weatherbys in '06, so, I can't really say I don't like the 308, I just don't own one--

-- :--- :--- --JIMBO

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The 30-06 VS 308 wars are fun to watch at the GB forum! Before they are over they are rolling in the mud calling each other bad names like "meany" and "jerk" and all the stuff in-between! :eek: :cry:

They have to call in the Mod Squad to separate them and make them Kiss and Makeup! ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was actually thinking about starting this thread over there just to watch the feathers fly. :D :D :D

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Zulu7 said:
I was actually thinking about starting this thread over there just to watch the feathers fly. :D :D :D
Yep its definitely a Sh..t hit the fan scenario! :lol:

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I like both and have both. The 308 comes in a nice little compact package but I would choose the 06 for its slight edge in versatility.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a .30-06, but no .308 at the moment, so I would say .30-06.

However, and I think this is the most important thing about this issue: either one is an excellent round for hunting, or predator (the two-legged kind) control. When you've narrowed your choice to those to cartridges, you can't really make a wrong decision.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I have to vote for the .30-06 because of the two, it's the one I own and use. But I must admit that .308 cartridge looks nice!
:cool: When I hunted, I always used the '06--

--Now, I have three Weatherbys in '06, so, I can't really say I don't like the 308, I just don't own one--

-- :--- :--- --JIMBO
I have a .30-06, but no .308 at the moment, so I would say .30-06.

However, and I think this is the most important thing about this issue: either one is an excellent round for hunting, or predator (the two-legged kind) control. When you've narrowed your choice to those to cartridges, you can't really make a wrong decision.

I have to agree with my esteemed forum partners here. I do not own a .308 just .30-06s. The .30-06 works for everything I need both hunting and target practise.

I will say that my friend is into long distance target shooting and hunting. He prefers the .308 and I am not going to argue with him becasue he has a lot more knowledge on the .308 than I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts