National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know which DAO semi-autos y'all have and/or like and why. Or, have and/or DON'T like. I don't want to get a DAO vs. DA/SA or SA-only, and we're not flaming the other types of pistols, either.

I had pretty much laughed at DAO for semi-autos for personal defense. I had tried most all of them except the SIG DAK and the H&K LEM. Well, I tripped into a good deal on a USP40c with LEM, really for the purpose of turning it around and making a buck on it. Sure glad I decided to test-fire it first!

IMHO, it is the sweetest handling SA I've ever shot, to the extent that I kept the pistol and use it as my CCW quite often. I have shot a couple of PPCs with it and my score improved significantly over the DA/SA I used to shoot. There is no transition after the first shot, so it handles in a much more natural way.

Oh, and true to form, the Li'l Mrs. tried it and also liked it. Only THIS time I headed her off at the pass and just went ahead and bought her one of her own. That's the only way I could avoid having mine "appropriated".

So, what do y'all know about DAOs? Anyone have a SIG DAK? I haven't heard any 1st-hand accounts about them yet.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Springer LDA is nice. I had one in 9mm for a customer, a while ago and got to check it out. Not bad at all, just a little lighter than my USP40c/LEM.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
The LEM is nice - I think it is a nice plan for a carry gun.

As a purely range gun, though, I would avoid DAO. But, the LEM sure beats the hell out of the traditional DAO guns!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It wouldn't be my 1st choice as a range gun, but I was satisfied with its repeatability and consistantcy regarding trigger feel and extraction/reloading. After every shot, my hands/arms knew what was going to happen next. I was a bit surprised to see such fast development of muscle memory. But then, it's a simpler routine than shooting DA/SA, for this ole' coot! (Less to remember is GOOD for my sub-geriatric brain)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is springfield armory making a DAO? The XD is technically single action isnt it (the striker is fully cocked when cycled)? I looked on their site and couldnt find anything. I could be wrong.

G

·
red-rider said:
Is springfield armory making a DAO? The XD is technically single action isnt it (the striker is fully cocked when cycled)? I looked on their site and couldnt find anything. I could be wrong.
atf classifys the xd as single action only which is why you cant run an xd in SSP divison of idpa

if i had to choose a double acton only it would be the glock. altho paras LDA is a great option for 1911 ish designs.

G

·
red-rider said:
How is the M&P clissified. I checked one out a while back, and I had a really good trigger reset on it..I want one.
it is considered dao because the sear pulls the striker back ever so slightly before it releases. with a set of hand tools you can make that gun a single action with a very short trigger

G

·
i tried a sig 229 dak a few times before i bought my 229r with the traditional da action. i really tried to get used to the dak trigger but couldn't get it to work for me. i have always used the da/sa in pistols, and the dak just seemed a little off for me. compared to other dao handguns i've fired though, the 229 dak was the smoothest. if i had to go dao, it would be the dak system in a 229 or 226.

G

·
Stay away from the S&W Sigma 9mm (SW9VE), trigger pull not much easier than waking me up in the morning.

Can't say anything about the .40, but I'd say it's the same story.

...No rhyming jokes :lol:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am very pleased with my S & W M&P 9mm.

·
Registered
569 Posts
leeindy said:
red-rider said:
How is the M&P clissified. I checked one out a while back, and I had a really good trigger reset on it..I want one.
with a set of hand tools you can make that gun a single action with a very short trigger
I have an M&P, sounds like something I'd like to look into, have instructions?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Steyr M-40, .40S&W. Similar to a Glock, but with more doodads. I like it better than the Glocks I've fired for ergonomics and trigger feel.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Verrry interesting! I hadn't seen this one. Looks like it might be Sig's first pistol that is not exclusively a right-hand shooter, also. Lefties can adapt to most any bass-ackward gun, but the controls on most regular Sigs are a no-go for southpaws.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts