National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking.....for all scenarios (plinking, target pratice, home defense, self-defense, SHTF, ITEOTWAWKI, etc...) would you rather have:

AR-15 in .223 with buttloads of 55 grain FMJ

OR

AR-15 in an exotic caliber such as .450 bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, etc BUT with alot less ammo (due to expense)

I currently am toying with the idea of another ar-15 and thought if I should get another chambered for .223 (okay, for the technically anal-yes it will be 5.56 CHAMBER) or if I should get something like 6.8 SPC, or .458 SOCOM, or the new .450 Bushmaster.

Obviously the exotic calibers are better ballistically. But the cost of the ammo makes it a prohibitative venture. I have plenty (but not enough ) .223 but the ballistics are of course less than stellar (and I say this not based on internet bravado but based on actually putting these rounds in bad guys and seeing the dissapointing results).

Now to be fair, I'll admit the only thing I've seen "stop a man in his tracks" is shooting someone with .308 or better. Any 'carbine' or 'handgun' caliber round is not going to produce a 'one shot stop' (unless of course it's to the cranial vault).

So, which would you choose?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.223/5.56mm, no question about it. Look at your possible uses:

plinking - power is irrelevant here, and .223 is cheaper than any of the exotics
target practice - see "plinking," or if you mean formal shooting from three-gun to High Power, .223 works fine
home defense - .223 is plenty powerful for defense and somewhat less likely to overpenetrate than momentum-heavy exotics, especially if you load with good JHPs
self-defense - see "home defense," not sure what other defensive scenarios you'd have a rifle outside home defense
SHTF - this falls under "home/self defense," doesn't it?
ITEOTWAWKI - if the world really ends in some disaster, and you manage to survive, and you are scrounging for ammo, the common .223/5.56mm will be much easier to find than the exotics

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ITEOWAWKI comes from the REM song of the same name. It's pretty commonly-understood internet shorthand for post-apocalyptic fantasy scenarios about single-handedly mowing down wave after wave of violent, possibly mutated, looters while bravely protecting the girls from the local Hooters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike Barham said:
ITEOWAWKI comes from the REM song of the same name. It's pretty commonly-understood internet shorthand for post-apocalyptic fantasy scenarios about single-handedly mowing down wave after wave of violent, possibly mutated, looters while bravely protecting the girls from the local Hooters.

hey hes talking about me. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AR-15 in .223.
If you go with the exotic caliber you can rule it out as a MBR because ammo will be very scarce and hard to find, .223 has almost become universal.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
leeindy said:
ar 15 carbine in 223. no question.
I agree but would add in a 12g pump shotgun for home defense and ITEOTWAWKI. Double aught (00) Buck Shot, Slugs and bird shot would go a long way to keeping you safe and fed. One additional plus is that many homes keep shotguns where there might not be rifles and ammunition would be plentiful even after many of the common places ahve been picked through.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if the world ends. 12 guage doesnt have enough capacity. but if it was in addition i would agree.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
leeindy said:
if the world ends. 12 guage doesnt have enough capacity. but if it was in addition i would agree.
Enough capacity for...what? Fending off the mutant wave attacks and saving the Hooters' girls?

I think the real weaknesses of the shotgun (in this context) are heavy recoil and bulky ammo. Ammo availability is a good argument for the shotgun, but if you're going that way, a .22 rifle would win out in the end.

On the other side of the coin, there's nothing a shotgun can do defensively that can't be done as well or better by an AR. Shotgun is way better for killing small food animals, though, and also works well as a defense gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike Barham said:
leeindy said:
Enough capacity for...what? Fending off the mutant wave attacks and saving the Hooters' girls?
if thats what happens then i need to be prepared. the ar is more versatile than the shotgun.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Mike Barham said:
leeindy said:

I think the real weaknesses of the shotgun (in this context) are heavy recoil and bulky ammo. Ammo availability is a good argument for the shotgun, but if you're going that way, a .22 rifle would win out in the end.

On the other side of the coin, there's nothing a shotgun can do defensively that can't be done as well or better by an AR. Shotgun is way better for killing small food animals, though, and also works well as a defense gun.
You are right on about saving the girls! :D

I am not disagreeing with you on your rifle choices but just adding the 12 guage pump. Simple action, easy to clean and maintain and can take a lot of punishment. I will not argue the benefit of the .22 for ammunition but in a crazy, weird world I still hope it would not be shoot first greet second or just shoot from long range. The shotgun does have sufficient stopping power at close range and if you are familiar it is easy to get into position. Just hunt pheasant, gouse, quail, rabbit and even pigeon and see how quickly you need to be in action. The 00 Buck shot and the slugs pack quite a whallop.

I believe that the pump shotgun is still in action with our armed forces today.....

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have an AR15 with about 500 rds of ammo left...time to reorder...lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts