National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I already have an AR-15 style Rifle (it is actually a mutt with an Anderson Manufacturing lower, and a Daniel Defense 16" barrel) it is a very nice AR-15 and not only do I love it, but everyone that I take shooting always wants to take it home with them. Anyways, before any political things happen regarding "Assault Rifles" are concerned, I was looking at purchasing another AR style rifle. I live in Idaho, so I am able to get any brand or type. I am torn between buying another AR-15 and configure it differently or buying an AR-10. I have shot many AR-15's and AR-10's and I like them both. I already have a Ruger American chambered in 30-06 for my hunting/long range rifle, so I don't exactly need the .308 caliber of the AR-10 per se. Could anyone help me narrow it down or at least give me some more insight? Or should I opt to getting one in one of the more niche calibers like 9mm, .45 ACP, 300 Blackout, .50 Beowulf, 7.62x39, or .22LR? Just to note, I already have a Ruger 10/22, so an AR style rifle chambered in .22LR would be redundant in my opinion, but maybe no more redundant than already having an AR-15 and getting another one. Also, my budget is no more than $1200. I saw a Springfield AR-10 at my local gun store for $1050, and a M&P-10 for $995. Also, the AR-15 I was thinking about getting was a Ruger AR-556. Also, I will add that I am not a fan of AR Pistols.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imma Ruger guy -- get the AR556
I am a "Ruger guy" as well. 3 out of the five guns that I own are Ruger. I wish that Ruger made an AR-10. Ruger is in my top 3 of firearms brands. I heard that that Ruger used to make an AR-10 called the Ruger SR 762, but I don't know what became of that. Too bad. I would have been interested in that, though I also heard that the stock trigger in it was one of the worst triggers put in any firearm ever.

Anyways, thank you for your reply.

· Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
I'm a 2 is 1, 1 is none kinda guy ............. I'd grab your AR15 a mate first then start looking at other caliber AR's.

· Registered
17,547 Posts
I've always preferred builds rather than buying one. This way you can make it how you want it but they tend to be more expensive that way. Might be cheaper than buying a gun and then adding or replacing a bunch of stuff though.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I would like to post an update. I ended up purchasing a Smith and Wesson M&P 10 Sport chambered in .308 I have shot the gun and I really like it. A bit basic, but I can upgrade it down the road. Thank you everyone for your answers and your help in me making the decision. I plan on purchasing an another AR-15 down the road and configure it a bit differently. I want to buy something made by a company that is based in my state like 2A Armament, or PWS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.