National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im turning 21 in a few months and im doing some research in order to decide which one I should get for my first handgun. So far im interested in three different ones. The s&w m&p(full frame, the Beretta 92fs, and the beretta 90 two (all chambered in 9mm). I have actually shot the m&p and really loved it. On the other hand I have always wanted a 92fs. From my understanding they are all similarly priced for the most part...... give or take about $100. Out of the three what would you get quality wise? thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I never handles the S&W MP, so I have no comment on that one. I own several Beretta 92/96 pistols. They are incredible reliable and reasonably accurate. I have never had a malfunction with one that could not be traced back to me or the ammo. Do not over look things like the Glock, SIG (if you have deep pockets) Ruger or Springfield Armory. These are all great pistols.

No matter what you go for keep this in mind. Buy a gun that fits your hand. Too big is just as bad as too small. You want the pistol to feel natural in your grip. Also, see if it is a natural pointer for you. Hold the pistol in your hand, arm straight down at your side. Then bring your arm up to the shooting position so you can look down the sights, keeping your elbow straight. If the pistol falls right in line with your eyes dead on the sights, that gun works for you.

Good luck happy gun shopping.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have the M&P 9MM and it is a great pistol. Very comfortable to shoot and carry. I have not shot the others but I am sure they are good pistols too. :thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while researching i ran into the s&w sigma. What do you think about this 9mm? its a lot cheaper than some of the others.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
For the money, S&W's Sigma series of pistols are a screaming deal. Better handguns exist.

I am of the belief that when you take "dollars spent for quality received" into account, it is extremely difficult to beat SheNine's choice, the CZ-75. It was the only pistol chambered in 9x19mm that I owned for a number of years.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The CZs and the new Sigmas are good but another to consider, especially if you want a high-quality handgun and like to be just a bit different, is the FNP-9. They are very well made and I think a very good value. FN just doesn't make any junk.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I think the CZ is one fine looking and shooting pistol. Its a beaut and reliable. The downside is it may be a bit heavy for carry. But for target work its a top choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a look at the Sig Sauer P6 9MM pistols. I'm not sure if you are wanting to go the used route, but I love my Sig P6. You can usually find them for about $290 to $320, maybe a little lower depending on your area.

-Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should have explained the purpose in more detail. I want a good range gun and something that can be carried easily as well. Sort of a hybrid of the two. The suggestions so far have been great. thanks

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
For the dollars spent it is hard to beat a good ole Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm. Reliable and easy to take down and clean.:thumbsup:

Easy to carry and accurate enough to handle any defensive situation.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I should have explained the purpose in more detail. I want a good range gun and something that can be carried easily as well. Sort of a hybrid of the two. The suggestions so far have been great. thanks

well check out the glock 19

Lightweight, 100% reliable, accurate, good value for dollars spent.

I have to say I am a glock man, I just dont see why you would want anything else for their intended purpose. Of corse some people think the grip is all wrong, I think it's perfect.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Well, there is always the Browning High Power. next best thing to a 1911 out there.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
If you are looking at the Beretta 92 then the CZ shouldn't seem so huge. I have carried my CZ75 and 97 CCW before with extra mags and was able to conceal it fine. Granted this was a cold weather option here in Michigan so the heavier clothes help a tad. CZ guns are great though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had all three, and although they would not be my first choice, that was not what you asked so I will answer your question rather than give my choice for me. I would go with the S&W M&P. Much better ergonomics. The Beretta is a nice gun, both are in fact, but they are a little big & heavy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts