National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Fall I'm going back to college out of state and I'm running into a bit of an issue. I've moved around so much the past few years and in places where I didn't feel safe storing my firearms, like bottom floor apartments that would be easy to break into, so I've kept them in a safe at a relative's place that was never far from me. My issue is that I am going to be moving out of state and would like to bring my guns with me for easy access to still be an active shooter, but last time I checked guns and school property don't really mix well and I'm not about to try anything risky or illegal. I've been doing some research about possible places to store them, such as self storage units and some people were even talking about bank safe deposit boxes. I've had things made of steel in self storage units that got rusted to hell because of the humidity and I'm not sure how the whole bank safe deposit boxes thing would work. Any ideas or suggestions?

Two of the schools I'm hoping to get into are in MA by the way. They'll love me lol!

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
you only have a couple options, a out of state friend or get your own place with a gun safe.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
I'm guessing you are talking about handguns being you mentioned the possibility of keeping them in a safe deposit box. First would be checking the local laws regarding bringing handguns into whatever state you are going to and or traveling through to get there. If they are nice guns I'll let you keep them at my house.:laughing:

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I manage storage units along with apartments---------- unless climate controlled forget it. Even then, theft is a big issue if someone thinks firearms are in there.

·
Banned
632 Posts
Try a local gunstore near where you are going to be...for a small fee maybe they'll keep in a back room for you, provided you release them of any liability. I did that when I worked in Alaska and lived in employee housing, where guns were verboten. Gun store in Fairbanks stored my pistol and rifle that I insisted on bringing, and I picked it up whenever I wanted to go shooting. Worth asking, anyways, and all they can say is no.....

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
20,937 Posts
If you get into a school in MA, forget about taking your firearms with you. Seriously, don't even try ...... unless you want to lose them and your freedom. MA is anal retentive about firearms. Here is the list of which firearm models that are approved to own in MA ---> http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster02-2014.pdf And there's the list of firearm models approved for target shooting ---> http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/formaltargetshootingroster03-2013.pdf And then there's the large capacity roster ---> http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/large-capacity-roster-06-2011.pdf And also there is the application to use your gun for target shooting ---> http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/application-for-formal-target-shooting-roster.pdf And all of that is after you take the required classes and beg for permission to be allowed to process one. And if you are smiled upon by the MA authorities, then you have to register each firearm.

BTW, Welcome from NC!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I you can bolt down a safe in a small storage room where the walls are close to the sides of the safe's door, 1' or less, you would have a fairly secure storage. With the walls that close to the sides of the safe they would have to knock down the walls to get any leverage to pry the door open. Just need to find a small storage room that will let you put some anchor bolts in the floor. I did that when I was in school and the putting the bolts in their floor didn't bother then when I showed them what would be in the floor after I left. Most storage facilities have cameras set up and it would take a long time and a lot of noise to get in, something criminals don't like.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Hmmm. Having secure a room with few rows of gun safes for rent seems like an obvious opportunity for any self-storage operation. Especially in states with lots of restrictions.

·
Registered
558 Posts
.....My issue is that I am going to be moving out of state and would like to bring my guns with me for easy access to still be an active shooter, but last time I checked guns and school property don't really mix well .....

Two of the schools I'm hoping to get into are in MA by the way. They'll love me lol!

Not only do guns and college administrators don't mix -

Guns and the State of Massachusetts really DON'T MIX !!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Try a local gunstore near where you are going to be...for a small fee maybe they'll keep in a back room for you, provided you release them of any liability. I did that when I worked in Alaska and lived in employee housing, where guns were verboten. Gun store in Fairbanks stored my pistol and rifle that I insisted on bringing, and I picked it up whenever I wanted to go shooting. Worth asking, anyways, and all they can say is no.....

Ditto this. My local range, which is also a gun store, has a gun vault where you can store guns for $20 a month. It's not clear if that's per gun, or for all the guns you might want to store, but it might be worth checking out ranges as well as gun stores once you know where you'll be going.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'd forget about bank safe deposit boxes. Remember, you won't be the only one with a key. And, at least in my bank, they specifically don't allow guns or cash stored.

·
Banned
632 Posts
I'd forget about bank safe deposit boxes. Remember, you won't be the only one with a key. And, at least in my bank, they specifically don't allow guns or cash stored.
Thats all I keep in MY SD box... never heard of a no cash rule...guns, yeah, cash, no....

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thats all I keep in MY SD box... never heard of a no cash rule...guns, yeah, cash, no....
When I joked with the employee at my bank (Chase) & said, "So...this is where people hide cash from the IRS," she said "We don't allow cash in our safe deposit."
I guess if you hid it in a pouch, the video wouldn't show that you were putting cash in the box. I recall a news piece many years ago about a guy who lost a bunch of cash from his safe deposit box at his bank. If it's true, a bank employee probably took it. Maybe that's why they don't allow it.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
I have never heard of this either. I know a couple of people who keep cash, jewelry and coins in their boxes. Whats the difference if it's cash or something else valuable, all of it could be stolen and liquidated. Dont most SD boxes need two keys to open them and the person renting the box is in possession of one of them?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have never heard of this either. I know a couple of people who keep cash, jewelry and coins in their boxes. Whats the difference if it's cash or something else valuable, all of it could be stolen and liquidated. Dont most SD boxes need two keys to open them and the person renting the box is in possession of one of them?[/QUO

The customer has one key but the bank has both keys. That makes it easy for a bank employee to steal from the box.

The cash thing (at least here in CA) probably has something to do with the bank being a party to hiding cash from the IRS by providing a way to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts